One night Seattle to Vancouver on Golden

wallycat16

Looking at doing this in September of this year. Anyone that has done this would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did it once. It's far too short for me, but lots of people love it. I know a couple who does it twice a year just to get the points to reach elite. They have a nine year old child and if you calculate the meals, overnight bed, babysitting etc. it is cheaper than staying in Downtown Vancouver for the night. You have to consider the bus fare (Quick Shuttle is $59.00) or get someone to drive you to Seattle. They just off the Grand Princess yesterday and I picked them up. I left South Surrey at 6:30, picked them up and we shopped all the way home. It made for a great day! Try it once and see for yourself! They have already booked the for September!

We did it once, and like the previous poster we would probably not do it again. You will find the whole atmosphere completely different from the usual Princess cruise. It is the ultimate party ship! There were bachelor and bachelorette parties that ran all night long. We took a look at what was going on early in the evening, decided to go to our cabin and lock the door. Just a bit too wild for us.

But we also know people who love it and do it as often as they can. So I would say give it a try. You may be one of those who love it too.

Looking at doing this in September of this year. Anyone that has done this would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bad day to ask. . .LOL. Just got off the overnighter from Vancouver to Seattle yesterday on the Grand. Boarding and disembarkation were a nightmare! Check out the posts on that roll call and you will get a better idea!

That said, we have sailed the overnighter on the Golden and did not have the same issues. The earlier posters are correct about the atmosphere - very different on these short cruises. If you can work out the transportation between the two ports, I'd recommend giving it a try.

Also just got off the Grand. We were lucky and only had to wait one hour to get on but then almost 1.5 hours to get off. We had friends that got on the Grand just in time for the fire drill. They spent 2.5 hours in line. Absolute nightmare in both Vancouver and Seattle. I would say unless you really enjoy standing in lines to avoid at all costs.

The general sentiment from most people on this cruise was "never again."

embarkation was a nightmare, disembarkation was smooth

basically a booze cruise, buffet was packed, and shows were scaled down

easy way to earn a cruise point

My friends got to Ballentine pier early and didn't have to wait too long. Because they are Platnium they waited in the lounge with cookies and juice. They didn't start boarding until 12:30. Getting off took over an hour of standing in line. Customs was the problem in Seattle. They were fingerprinting most passengers. Everyone wants to get off at once because everyone has carry on! These are the first cruises of the year and it takes some getting used to.

We are thinking of booking the Sept. Seattle Vancouver 1 night. Originally I thought I'd book an Aloha deck cabin next to the door to the aft pool, but this post reminded me of the extreme party atmosphere I've heard these are. So, guess I'll look for a quieter deck (only assuming Aloha and Lido decks are loud on this cruise -- OP or others who have been on them: are they?).

We have had friends go on both the May and the Sept cruises and came back disappointed because they expected the "full cruise experience". I told them that they cannot judge a cruise on one-night, and most of the time these are the last of the season for the crew before they go off on their breaks so they are tired and looking forward to time off. Even if that is not the case, the crew is trying to turn around the ship for a new itinerary and they are focused on that, so this is definitely not a way to judge cruising or a cruise line in general.

I'm not expecting much except a more interesting way to get between Seattle and Vancouver other than our car!

Frankly, it's a lot of hassle, trouble and a bit exhausting for only 1 night IMO. You hardly have a moment to breathe before you're being off-loaded. Everything is really lax - cabin stewards, entertainment, dining room service - everything. If I had to get to YVR from SEA, then I'd do it again - maybe.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario