My list of places to visit in Singapore

Widebay

Singapore Botanic Gardens, now a UNESCO Heritage site. Within the gardens, is the famous National Orchid Gardens (cost $5 for admission). Within the Orchid gardens, you have the VIP Orchid garden.

And you get to see orchids named after important people.

In this video, I show you the beautiful orchid named after the late Princess Diana as well as the orchid named after the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

[YOUTUBE]XGL34uodY2A[/YOUTUBE]

We get plenty of foreign visitors to the Orchid Gardens!

[YOUTUBE]KUiXhPNTKVk[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks Widebay for starting this thread and to others who have taken time to post on here with ideas for places to visit in Singapore. We are doing a 7 day cruise from Singapore in November so your knowledge is invaluable for a first time visitor. We have a night pre cruise and a full day when we return before flying home in Singapore so this thread has given us a lot of options. Is it possible to catch a train to the cruise terminal. Our hotel is close to a MRT station so wondering if train is the easiest option to get to the port.

Thanks Widebay for starting this thread and to others who have taken time to post on here with ideas for places to visit in Singapore. We are doing a 7 day cruise from Singapore in November so your knowledge is invaluable for a first time visitor. We have a night pre cruise and a full day when we return before flying home in Singapore so this thread has given us a lot of options. Is it possible to catch a train to the cruise terminal. Our hotel is close to a MRT station so wondering if train is the easiest option to get to the port.

Which hotel will you be staying at? Welcome to Singapore!

Which ship and which cruise terminal? Yes, it should be possible to catch a train to the cruise terminal.

If your ship is sailing from Marina Bay Cruise Center, this video would be useful. The MRT station can be seen at 4:00. The station is called Marina South Pier, on the North-South line. There is a slight walk to the cruise terminal, but the ground is flat, so you should be able to wheel your luggage easily.

[YOUTUBE]-a5WI-KinVQ[/YOUTUBE]

The other cruise terminal is at Harbourfront. There is also an MRT station there called Harbourfront.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Thanks Widebay for starting this thread and to others who have taken time to post on here with ideas for places to visit in Singapore.

I agree! We booked our first Asia cruise a couple weeks ago - we don't leave until Nov 2016 but are already researching. For me, that's *almost* as much fun as the actual travel:D

Which hotel will you be staying at? Welcome to Singapore!

Which ship and which cruise terminal? Yes, it should be possible to catch a train to the cruise terminal.

If your ship is sailing from Marina Bay Cruise Center, this video would be useful. The MRT station can be seen at 4:00. The station is called Marina South Pier, on the North-South line. There is a slight walk to the cruise terminal, but the ground is flat, so you should be able to wheel your luggage easily.

[YOUTUBE]-a5WI-KinVQ[/YOUTUBE]

The other cruise terminal is at Harbourfront. There is also an MRT station there called Harbourfront.

Hi Ilovecruising2

Thanks for your help. We are staying at the V Hotel Lavender in Singapore and from what we have read, it says the Lavender MRT station is just below the hotel. Not sure what terminal our ship departs from. The only advice we have so far is that it departs Singapore? We are cruising with Royal Carribean on Mariner of the Seas departing Singapore on 5 November.

We overnight in Singapore pre-cruise. Are there any night markets that you recommend? We were also thinking of going to the Gardens by the Sea for the night time light show and/or a cruise on a bum boat. Would you recommend doing this?

Thanks again for your help.

Sherenne

Hi Ilovecruising2

Thanks for your help. We are staying at the V Hotel Lavender in Singapore and from what we have read, it says the Lavender MRT station is just below the hotel. Not sure what terminal our ship departs from. The only advice we have so far is that it departs Singapore? We are cruising with Royal Carribean on Mariner of the Seas departing Singapore on 5 November.

We overnight in Singapore pre-cruise. Are there any night markets that you recommend? We were also thinking of going to the Gardens by the Sea for the night time light show and/or a cruise on a bum boat. Would you recommend doing this?

Sherenne

Hey sambasue63

The V Lavender is close to Little India. The side streets off Serangoon Rd have fabulous little shops and delicious restaurants to try. It has a less of a touristy feel about it (compared to Chinatown - which is good fun, but maybe a little contrived ;)) and around dusk it has a great vibe when people are heading home or out and about. It's not as pretty as other parts of Singapore, but for me one of the more fascinating areas. The fabulous Tekka Centre in Little India & the Chinatown complex, are great local shopping with wet markets, food centres and market type stalls.

A must do (IMHO) is a visit to the top of the Marina Bay Sands hotel observation deck to look out over Singapore. As it's next to Garden by the Bay, maybe you could fit in the amazing view of Singapore, with a visit to the gardens, topped off with watching the light show. (Which is ok, but with so much else to see....) maybe a Singapore Sling at the Raffles On the way home??

There is so much to try and fit in!! Whatever you do have a fabulous time in Singapore, It is a great city for tourists, and a lovely and exciting cruise :D

Edited by wangeling gal

Thanks everyone for the great advice and ideas on what to do in Singapore. We will definitely take in Gardens by the Sea at night.

Wangeling gal - Marina Bay Sands and a Singapore Sling from Raffles were on our list. Great minds think alike. :D Think we might have a problem though on deciding where to eat. :D

Hi Ilovecruising2

Sherenne

Hi Sherenne,

The Mariner of the Seas will depart from the Marina Bay Cruise terminal, i.e. the video I showed you earlier. This ship is too large to use the other Harbourfront terminal. Here is the Mariner in port.

[YOUTUBE]v0J2HyZuFnQ[/YOUTUBE]

The tourist attraction is called Gardens by the Bay - http://www.gardensbythebay.com.sg/en/home.html

I am not too familiar with the night markets closer to town, as most of these night markets are more of an adhoc nature and held in HDB estates. However, there should be plenty to see at Gardens by the Bay and the Singapore River, Clark Quay area. Yes, taking a river bumboat isn't a bad idea too.

Hi Ilovecruising2

Thanks for the heads up on where the Mariner of the Seas will be departing. Really appreciate your help and posting the video which gives us an idea on what to expect. We are looking forward to visiting your wonderful city.

Cheers... Sherenne

Hi Ilovecruising2

Thanks for the heads up on where the Mariner of the Seas will be departing. Really appreciate your help and posting the video which gives us an idea on what to expect. We are looking forward to visiting your wonderful city.

Cheers... Sherenne

I am glad to be of help. Do shout out if you have any more questions & I'll try my best to help.

Meanwhile, if you are interested in local foods in Singapore, I have many videos uploaded on my channel. Here is a playlist.

A good place to get inexpensive meals would be food courts and coffeeshops. There is a food court in virtually every shopping mall. This video shows you an example of a food court, this one at Orchard ION.

[YOUTUBE]mkT0n7VxkWk[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks - it's certainly going to be difficult deciding on food options. I'm also researching the other ports of call so you may see questions in other threads relating to those from me. There is a wealth of knowledge on here and researching is half the fun. Thanks again. :)

Hi Ilovecruising2

Cheers... Sherenne

Hello to ILoveCruising2!

Just wondering if there is a website you check to see port schedules. I have checked out a couple that were recommended here on CC, but they said "no ships scheduled." We'll be on the Volendam but not until next 17 March, and I couldn't find any listing. Thanks! I enjoy your postings.

Hello to ILoveCruising2!

Just wondering if there is a website you check to see port schedules. I have checked out a couple that were recommended here on CC, but they said "no ships scheduled." We'll be on the Volendam but not until next 17 March, and I couldn't find any listing. Thanks! I enjoy your postings.

Hi,

The only 2 websites I know of are

http://mbccs.com.sg/

http://www.singaporecruise.com.sg/index.php/getting-to-singapore/cruise/schedules/

I think they do not publish the schedules so far in advance. Based on my memory, Holland America ships will dock at Singapore Cruise Center at Harbourfront and not the Marina Bay Cruise Center. But best to check closer to the date.

Our up-coming cruise ends in Singapore Thurs 26-Nov AM (Sapphire Princess) and our flight departs Changi at about 1AM Fri morning.

Wondering if anyone can recommend a hotel convenient to the port and downtown tourist areas where we can get a room for the day only to store luggage, freshen up, etc. while we look around your nice city and before we head to the airport ?

Our up-coming cruise ends in Singapore Thurs 26-Nov AM (Sapphire Princess) and our flight departs Changi at about 1AM Fri morning.

Wondering if anyone can recommend a hotel convenient to the port and downtown tourist areas where we can get a room for the day only to store luggage, freshen up, etc. while we look around your nice city and before we head to the airport ?

Are you looking for a discount because you are not going to use the beds? I assume freshening up would include using the sink, toilet, toilet paper, towels and the shower. You can probably figure on paying full price for the room because maid service will have to come in and clean up after you.

Are you looking for a discount because you are not going to use the beds? I assume freshening up would include using the sink, toilet, toilet paper, towels and the shower. You can probably figure on paying full price for the room because maid service will have to come in and clean up after you.

No not really - but looking to "check in" relatively early in day and "check out" in evening same day without paying for 2 days. Some hotels have rooms set aside as "day rooms" for this sort of thing or for meetings, etc. I know we could haul our selves and stuff to the airport and check the luggage there for the day and then head back in to the city, but figured a "day hotel" might be a better way to handle things. That's all.

Thanks everyone for the great advice and ideas on what to do in Singapore. We will definitely take in Gardens by the Sea at night.

Wangeling gal - Marina Bay Sands and a Singapore Sling from Raffles were on our list. Great minds think alike. :D Think we might have a problem though on deciding where to eat. :D

I'm not sure but you may not be able to get to the top of Marina Bay Sands unless your a guest of the hotel (or pay a fee).

As far as food...take the MRT to Lau Pa Sat during the evening for their street B-B-Q...the best Satay ever...We actually went two nights during our pre-cruise (Mariner) stay this past March.

I'm not sure but you may not be able to get to the top of Marina Bay Sands unless your a guest of the hotel (or pay a fee).

As far as food...take the MRT to Lau Pa Sat during the evening for their street B-B-Q...the best Satay ever...We actually went two nights during our pre-cruise (Mariner) stay this past March.

You are quite correct Ashland there is a fee to go up the top of MBS to the observation deck. It is approx $25 SPD. The observation deck is the pointy boat end and is open to all the public. You can stay as long as you like up there and the view is priceless. Would love to go for a swim in the famous infinity pool but need to be a guest,(and brave :eek:)

Hi Acadian_dad

I'm not sure if this helps, but I'll try. The Bayview Hotel on Bras Basah Rd, is a 3* basic clean hotel, in a fabulous location. You can catch a taxi or catch the MRT. It is close to 2 MRT stations - Dhobi Ghaut and Bras Basah, which can get you to where you want to visit in Singapore cheaply safely and quickly. ( even out to the airport for around $4 SPD). When I checked the hotels website they had superior rooms for $101US or $141 AUD (it has a currency converter). I'm sure this hotel would suit for the purpose you want. I know you can leave your bags there, but maybe with some correspondence with the hotel, they will be able to accommodate your need, or it might be cheap enough to book the 2 days. Maybe a hotel booking website might have even better offers;)

From here you can access the Raffles (10 minute walk) Orchard Rd (10 minutes walk) Chinatown/little India (quick MRT ride) Marina Bay (quick MRT ride or 30 minute walk) and Bugis with all it's shopping. It's also easy to get to Suntec city where the Hop on Hop off bus starts from.

Hope this helps a little - whatever you decide have a fabulous jam packed day in Singapore :D it's a great city!

Ps- there are great shower facilities at Changi if you don't go for a room:)

Edited by wangeling gal