My list of places to visit in Singapore

Widebay

Yes we were lucky enough to get a cheap cruise from Singapore to Sydney last year. Prior to this I really hadn't had any interest in going to Singapore. But once I started researching and looking at attractions that soon changed.

We only had 3 full days there but had a fantastic time. We travel with my 15 year old daughter who has a wheelchair and everything was so accessible the locals so well mannered and helpful.

We left our motel Fort Canning Lodge at 7 each morning returned for a swim in the afternoon then out again till about 10 each night.

We needed that cruise afterwards for a rest.

We are going back next year in December prior to a few days each in Cambodia and Vietnam, we can hardly wait.

So excited! We will be back in Singapore this November. This time staying at the Marina Bay Sand before the cruise. Had so much fun on our last visit there in February. Can't wait!

WELCOME back to Singapore!! Enjoy the pool. :)

Welcome in advance to Singapore! :):)

Thanks, because the date of our cruise was changed by RCI in March 17, the dates have allowed us to add a further night Pre Cruise in Singapore so now 5 nights [emoji3]

We have booked the Mandarin Marina Singapore and have booked direct flights with Singapore Airlines on the new Airbus [emoji3]

Really looking forward to putting together a plan of sights places to eat etc using the resources offered from this thread [emoji106]

Thanks, because the date of our cruise was changed by RCI in March 17, the dates have allowed us to add a further night Pre Cruise in Singapore so now 5 nights [emoji3]

We have booked the Mandarin Marina Singapore and have booked direct flights with Singapore Airlines on the new Airbus [emoji3]

Really looking forward to putting together a plan of sights places to eat etc using the resources offered from this thread [emoji106]

WELCOME to Singapore!! Avoid the Singapore Sling at Raffles :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi helenpsl

Singapore is a fabulous city and very tourist friendly. I always reccomend the hop on hop off bus for people the first time they visit. It starts at Suntec City. There are two routes the buses take (for the price of one ticket) one through the heritage areas of Singapore , and the other through the city area. It has a running commentary which you listen to through supplied headphones ( you get to keep them) and a map of the route you're taking and where each stop is. I hope this link takes you to the correct page.

http://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com/singapore-bus-tours

I always do a complete circuit first, then stay on and revisit those places which looked interesting.

I believe you can get foodie tours from locals that will take you to out of the way, local eating places, which I will definetly be looking at next time I visit.

Singapore MRT has one of the best public transport systems in the world, cheap, clean and safe, which will get you to most tourist areas within the city.

Enjoy your visit to this amazing city and have a wonderful cruise:D

What is the best way to get from the cruise ship to the HoHo stop at Suntec City?

Originally Posted by wangeling gal View Post

Hi helenpsl

Singapore is a fabulous city and very tourist friendly. I always reccomend the hop on hop off bus for people the first time they visit. It starts at Suntec City. There are two routes the buses take (for the price of one ticket) one through the heritage areas of Singapore , and the other through the city area. It has a running commentary which you listen to through supplied headphones ( you get to keep them) and a map of the route you're taking and where each stop is. I hope this link takes you to the correct page.

http://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com/singapore-bus-tours

I always do a complete circuit first, then stay on and revisit those places which looked interesting.

I believe you can get foodie tours from locals that will take you to out of the way, local eating places, which I will definetly be looking at next time I visit.

Singapore MRT has one of the best public transport systems in the world, cheap, clean and safe, which will get you to most tourist areas within the city.

Enjoy your visit to this amazing city and have a wonderful cruise

I think I now have everything finalized. We are having breakfast with the orangutans on our second morning (first day we'll be sleeping after a 27 hour flight). Our next morning we're doing a 4 hour city tour just for an overview. For the next two days we have the hop-on/hop-off ticket. By that time we'll be so tired we'll be ready to board the ship and start the mania again. Thanks so much for all of the information. It's greatly appreciated.

Helen

What is the best way to get from the cruise ship to the HoHo stop at Suntec .

What is the best way to get from the cruise ship to the HoHo stop at Suntec City? We will be on a turn around day and what I read says we will need to exchange our tickets at Suntec City before taking the tour

What is the best way to get from the cruise ship to the HoHo stop at Suntec City? We will be on a turn around day and what I read says we will need to exchange our tickets at Suntec City before taking the tour

Which cruise terminal a) Habourfront Cruise or b) Marina Bay?

You can also take a taxi there. :)

• 5 weeks later...
Yes we were lucky enough to get a cheap cruise from Singapore to Sydney last year. Prior to this I really hadn't had any interest in going to Singapore. But once I started researching and looking at attractions that soon changed.

We only had 3 full days there but had a fantastic time. We travel with my 15 year old daughter who has a wheelchair and everything was so accessible the locals so well mannered and helpful.

We left our motel Fort Canning Lodge at 7 each morning returned for a swim in the afternoon then out again till about 10 each night.

We needed that cruise afterwards for a rest.

We are going back next year in December prior to a few days each in Cambodia and Vietnam, we can hardly wait.

When in Dec are you going? WE are going on the Dec 2nd 2017 cruise on Princess Sapphire.

• 3 weeks later...

A really good thread - thanks to all contributors.

We are due to dock at the Harbourfront terminal (by the cable car to Sentosa Island) for three days in February, - we sail at 2pm on the third day. Our ship does not have a launderette, so we are wondering if it may be possible to find a laundry in Singapore which is easily reached from the ship, that would be cheaper than the ship's laundry service. We are away for 5.5 weeks in all, hence our concern.

Edited by tring

We are due to dock at the Harbourfront terminal (by the cable car to Sentosa Island) for three days in February, - we sail at 2pm on the third day. Our ship does not have a launderette, so we are wondering if it may be possible to find a laundry in Singapore which is easily reached from the ship, that would be cheaper than the ship's laundry service. We are away for 5.5 weeks in all, hence our concern.

Hope it helps http://www.laundrycares.com/ or http://www.singaporelaundry.com/rates.html and WELCOME to Singapore! :)

Hi Tring

A quick google search (laundry service harbour front Singapore) showed there to be 2 laundry services at Harbour Front Centre & at least one in Vivo City (shopping mall) next door. I'm pretty sure at least one of them had coin machines. Have a look - hopefully it'll be just what you're looking for!!

Hope you have a wonderful cruise & a fabulous time in tremendous Singapore :D

Thank you very much for the replies. Looks like I have been a bit thick not doing a net search before posting! I just did not think regards this.

WE have been to Singapore for a day call previously so have done a few basics there river cruise and a meal in the old harbourside area nearby, with a walk through the colonial area and China Town on our way back. Hence we thought we could allow a bit of time for the laundry, but we are also looking forward to being able to see more of Singapore - especially the chance to be ashore in the evenings which is a great boon with overnight calls.

Thank you both again though, the replies are much appreciated,

Barbara

Edited by tring

Thank you very much for the replies. Looks like I have been a bit thick not doing a net search before posting! I just did not think regards this.

WE have been to Singapore for a day call previously so have done a few basics there river cruise and a meal in the old harbourside area nearby, with a walk through the colonial area and China Town on our way back. Hence we thought we could allow a bit of time for the laundry, but we are also looking forward to being able to see more of Singapore - especially the chance to be ashore in the evenings which is a great boon with overnight calls.

Thank you both again though, the replies are much appreciated,

Barbara

Hi Barbara, since your ship docked at Habourfront, if I may suggest, go take a stroll along the bridge to Sentosa. You can also try the Sentosa Express. If you are there in the evening, don't miss this free show in Sentosa (subjected to weather condition) http://www.rwsentosa.com/language/en-US/Homepage/Attractions/CraneDance

http://staging.sentosa.com.sg/en/getting-around/sentosa-express/

If you like Gardens, go to Gardens by the Bay http://www.gardensbythebay.com.sg/en.html or Botanical Gardens https://www.sbg.org.sg/

You may want to visit Singapore Zoo http://www.zoo.com.sg/

Another place which is close to Habourfront Cruise Terminal that may be of interest is Haw Par Villa which you can go by taking the MRT. http://www.visitacity.com/en/singapore/attractions/haw-par-villa?gclid=CPK45NrW984CFVMfaAodlXkNcg , http://www.yoursingapore.com/see-do-singapore/culture-heritage/heritage-discovery/haw-par-villa.html

Have a great time in Singapore and feel free to ask. :)

Thanks for those links - I have bookmarked most of them.

We always wanted to go to the Botanical Gardens and also the zoo as I believe they have Koala's, which I would love to see. Do they have Panda's there as well? We are thinking we could do both of those places in the one day as I think they are in the same direction from the port, (using the train), and perhaps pop into China Town on the way back for a meal - does that sound OK timewise.

Perhaps we won't get the laundry done after all!

Thanks for those links - I have bookmarked most of them.

We always wanted to go to the Botanical Gardens and also the zoo as I believe they have Koala's, which I would love to see. Do they have Panda's there as well? We are thinking we could do both of those places in the one day as I think they are in the same direction from the port, (using the train), and perhaps pop into China Town on the way back for a meal - does that sound OK timewise.

Perhaps we won't get the laundry done after all!

Yes, get the package for both the Zoo and River Safari. Panda and Red Panda are at River Safari which is next to Singapore Zoo. At Singapore Zoo who can see the last remaining Singapore Polar Bear, Inuka, who was born at the Zoo. The first Polar bear to be born in the tropics.

You will need to do a transfer from the MRT to Bus and vice versa back. You can stop at either Chua Chu Kang MRT or Ang Mo Kio MRT and transfer to the bus that take you to the Zoo and on your return the same. To go to Chinatown from here, you will need to change train at Dhoby Ghuat https://www.transitlink.com.sg/images/eguide/mrt_sys_map.htm You can get a foldable copy of the MRT Map from any control station at the MRT. If you are using the MRT/buses alot, suggest you get the MRT card at sgd$12 ($5 refundable deposit and $7 travel value). :)

• 1 month later...
Our friends want to visit for a overpriced Sling, are all the prices high, Beer, Gin, etc ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

G'day Limpit

A simple answer is yes it is overpriced at the Raffles......but that doesn't stop us visiting every time we go!! There is nothing better visiting The Long Bar & getting a glimpse & taste of colonial Singapore. It still retains a great atmosphere and it's a good opportunity to visit the outside arcade of the Raffles with glimpses to the fascinating inside. Besides I love the taste of the Singapore Sling. A sling costs approx $27 SPD & a beer around $18. You get numerous peanuts to eat and throw onto the floor, and it's a great place to people watch. Ive also done the High Tea in the Tiffen Room @ the Raffles (which IMHO was overpriced and average) but not everybody would think like me, my daughter loved it :rolleyes: I just enjoy visiting this historic part of Singapore & while touristy & overpriced something, maybe, to do once in a lifetime!!;)

Have a wonderful time while you are there:D

WELCOME to Singapore!! Avoid the Singapore Sling at Raffles :)

Our friends want to visit for a overpriced Sling, are all the prices high, Beer, Gin, etc ?

At Raffles you dont just buy a Singapore Sling , or Take High Tea , you are buying the atmosphere of the bygone days of the British colonial era.

When we first visited Singapore, Raffles was an abandoned derelict building boarded up with plywood....to visit and see it today is a treasure.

Maybe I was just unlucky but I found the Singapore Sling I had a few years ago in the Long Bar was a watered down version of what I had experienced many years prior to that.

If I go to the Long Bar for the atmosphere and peanuts I just get a normal drink. I prefer other places to enjoy a better quality Singapore Sling. I haven't had a Sling for about two years though and that was in the Fullerton.

Julie

Edited by frantic36