My list of places to visit in Singapore

Widebay

Trying to absorb all the information here. Thank you all for sharing your experience and suggestions.

We will be arriving Singapore late afternoon (6PM), and boarding the Volendam the next day. I assume we won't be getting the tourist passes then. At the end of the cruise, we arrive at 8AM with an overnight in Singapore and disembark at 6AM the next morning. Our flight out is at noon that day. Which means we can get a one-day pass or should we get the 2-day pass? Some one mentioned that pass include transportation to the airport, would that be using the MRT also? How easy is it?

Regarding hotel, we only need one night accommodation pre-cruise. We have Hilton Honor points, free night certificates with Hyatt, and free nights with IHG. Which of these would be a good choice for that one night in Singapore as far as location goes.

Thanks in advance!

Trying to absorb all the information here. Thank you all for sharing your experience and suggestions.

We will be arriving Singapore late afternoon (6PM), and boarding the Volendam the next day. I assume we won't be getting the tourist passes then. At the end of the cruise, we arrive at 8AM with an overnight in Singapore and disembark at 6AM the next morning. Our flight out is at noon that day. Which means we can get a one-day pass or should we get the 2-day pass? Some one mentioned that pass include transportation to the airport, would that be using the MRT also? How easy is it?

Regarding hotel, we only need one night accommodation pre-cruise. We have Hilton Honor points, free night certificates with Hyatt, and free nights with IHG. Which of these would be a good choice for that one night in Singapore as far as location goes.

Thanks in advance!

I would take the free night with IHG.

There are several "in transit" hotels located inside Changi Airport that rent in 4 hour blocks.

Thanks General Max - understood there are many options at the airport - I was trying to avoid going out there in the AM, back to city for day and then back to airport at night for flight.

I'm not sure but you may not be able to get to the top of Marina Bay Sands unless your a guest of the hotel (or pay a fee).

As far as food...take the MRT to Lau Pa Sat during the evening for their street B-B-Q...the best Satay ever...We actually went two nights during our pre-cruise (Mariner) stay this past March.

Thanks Ashland for the tip on where to find the best Satay and the street BBQ. Worth checking out, we think :-)

Singapore Botanic Gardens, now a UNESCO Heritage site. Within the gardens, is the famous National Orchid Gardens (cost $5 for admission). Within the Orchid gardens, you have the VIP Orchid garden.

And you get to see orchids named after important people.

In this video, I show you the beautiful orchid named after the late Princess Diana as well as the orchid named after the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

XGL34uodY2A

We get plenty of foreign visitors to the Orchid Gardens!

KUiXhPNTKVk

We loved the Botanical Gardens, especially the Orchid gardens. We spent almost the whole day.

Also, loved the Jurong bird park.

Tours of Chinatown and the WWII island tour is excellent.

• 3 weeks later...

Pink dolphins can be found on Sentosa Island at underwater world and bottle nose Dolphins at the water park at resorts world ( the name of the park escapes me ) both places offer time in the water with the Dolphins at a cost and info on both is easy to find on the net.

Edited by AzzaNJenny

• 2 months later...
Thanks General Max - understood there are many options at the airport - I was trying to avoid going out there in the AM, back to city for day and then back to airport at night for flight.

In the end we hired a local tour co. to pick us up at the Cruise port and we toured around Singapore for the day including some great local food stops - loved it all - and then they dropped us off at the Crowne Plaza Changi where we chilled for 3-4 hrs before checking in for our flight. The CP gave us a nice big room with a bit of a discount which was nice - and it was a very simple walk to our terminal right from the lobby.

• 2 weeks later...
In the end we hired a local tour co. to pick us up at the Cruise port and we toured around Singapore for the day including some great local food stops - loved it all - and then they dropped us off at the Crowne Plaza Changi where we chilled for 3-4 hrs before checking in for our flight. The CP gave us a nice big room with a bit of a discount which was nice - and it was a very simple walk to our terminal right from the lobby.

Who was your local tour guide, and would you recommend them?

WELCOME ALL to Singapore. If you are in Singapore in December, do take stroll along Orchard Road. Best Christmas and Street Light-up as we are celebrating SG50 (Singapore 50th Birthday).

As for Satay, there is a Satay Club at Gardens by the Bay.

Wishing all a Merry Christmas in advance and a wonderful stay in Singapore. Do carry a small umbrella too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a while since I went to walk the Southern Ridges (Henderson waves and Forest Walk), so I decided to do so today, since I had some time off.

Made this video of the Henderson Waves - the tallest pedestrian foot bridge in Singapore. This bridge is now an iconic part of the Southern Ridges park connector network.

[YOUTUBE]eZWLAB9TcWw[/YOUTUBE]

Iluvcruising2

Our ship will be in Singapore on Thursday, 14 January 2016. Any chance the streets will remain lit-up for Singapore's celebrations a little longer or perhaps in preparation for (Chinese) New Year?

We have been to Singapore many times (one of our favourite cities in the World) but were unaware of the Henderson Waves Bridge. What is the best way to get there from the Marina Bay Cruise Centre?

Iluvcruising2

Our ship will be in Singapore on Thursday, 14 January 2016. Any chance the streets will remain lit-up for Singapore's celebrations a little longer or perhaps in preparation for (Chinese) New Year?

We have been to Singapore many times (one of our favourite cities in the World) but were unaware of the Henderson Waves Bridge. What is the best way to get there from the Marina Bay Cruise Centre?

Unfortunately, the lights will only stay up till 3rd Jan. I don't think they light up Orchard Road for Chinese New Year.

Yes, the Henderson Waves are not well known when it comes to tourism, and neither is the Forest Walk which can be seen in this video below.

[YOUTUBE]F9n1D650TBk[/YOUTUBE]

The Henderson Waves and the Forest Walk are very close to each other. As to the best way to get there, I got to do some research to see the public transport options. I drive there, so that is easy for me.

Iluvcruising2

One suggestion I came across is this. Take a taxi to Mount Faber Park - https://www.nparks.gov.sg/gardens-parks-and-nature/parks-and-nature-reserves/mount-faber-park

Taxi drivers should know how to get to Mount Faber, which is very near Harbour Front MRT station. Mount Faber Park is part of the Southern Ridges Park network. You can explore Mt Faber park first, should get some good views of the sea and port, and then make your way by foot to the Henderson Waves. You should be able to find easy signs to get you to Henderson Waves, from Mt Faber park. All clearly marked out.

From Mt Faber, you get to Henderson Waves, cross the bridge (as you see in my video) and head towards Telok Blangah Park (that is where my video started from, I parked my car at Telok Blangah Park) and then walk a bit uphill to the start of Forest Walk (that is the starting point of my Forest Walk video), then you can walk downhill on the metal bridge and bring you to Alexandra Arch (which crosses Alexandra Road, see from 15:00 of my Forest Walk video). If you still have energy, continue on to explore the Hort Park which is just across Alexandra Road. If not, just grab a taxi from Alexandra Road to head back to town or the cruise ship. (Alexandra Road is a busy road, so there would be taxis).

The above should take you about 2-3 hours. It would be an easy walk with plenty of time for photos. Bring some water. Check the weather though, if there is a thunderstorm, this plan wouldn't work too well.

Other than your transport costs, the parks and bridges are all free of charge. Good deal!

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Iluvcruising2

You may like to try Chinatown Street on the 14th Jan.

Christmas decorations in some shopping centres/malls are coming down and CNY decors are up. :)

You may like to try Chinatown Street on the 14th Jan.

Christmas decorations in some shopping centres/malls are coming down and CNY decors are up. :)

Good suggestion!

Unfortunately, the Chinatown street light up is starting 31 Jan 2015.

http://chinatownfestivals.sg/chinatown-chinese-new-year-celebrations-2015/

So cruiser joll would not be able to catch it.