Hotel in Boston

Wyotraveler

Hotels in Boston are expensive. I would find it hard to believe that RCL offers any wonderful deals.

If you give us your exact dates, budget, number of people, number of beds, and your high level plans (sightseeing, just fly in and sleep, etc), we can make suggestions.

We are also considering a cruise out of Boston, Aug 8. Maybe flying in Aug 6th and spending 2 nights in Boston. We are still undecided wanting to learn about hotel costs,things to do and see, cab costs, distance to port from hotel, where to stay - downtown or ? etc etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Happy Cruising.

DonnaF :D

What's your budget and number of people?

Right now I'm seeing our favorite 4* hotel in the Waterfront/convention Center area for $193 + tax which is a good deal. This is highly likely to be the Westin Waterfront and if not, the Seaport or the Renaissance. It is one of the closest hotels to the pier and Logan Airport. Cab from the airport would be about $25. However, the Silver Line bus which stops at all the terminals would be free and the hotel is a block away.

Thanx for that info

I have checked all of those locations, couldn't find one less than $200? Where did you get this quote? Still checking. Not sure what we will do. Will do a bit more research.

Thanx again!!

Happy Cruising.......

DonnaF :D

So sorry - that's a Hotwire price. Hotwire is an excellent resource for a Boston hotel. Almost any 3* + hotel with a high approval rating (over 80%)is just fine. In the case of the Waterfront/Convention area, there are only 4 hotels in that area and they are all 4*, so you can't go wrong. The Westin Convention Center is almost always the choice (if there is no convention activity they have plenty of rooms they must sell). The other possibilities are the Seaport, the Renaissance, or the Residence Inn.

The Westin Convention Center is one block from the Silver Line (http://www.mbta.com) at World Trade Center. The Silver Line is currently free from the airport, which means you can get there without paying a cab fare. For touring Boston, you can take the Silver Line for $2.50/pp to South Station and transfer to the Red line. One stop stake s you to Downtown Crossing where you can transfer to the Orange Line to go to Faneuil Hall (Haymarket) and two stops takes you to Park St which is the Boston Common and the start of the Freedom Trail. You can also take the Silver Line directly to Black Falcon Terminal. Downtown Boston is small and it is easy to walk or take the T around to various locations.

Thanx again, I will check out Hotwire.

So downtown wb easily accessible from any of these locations?

What would you recommend that we 'tourists' do for half a day in Boston ?

Happy cruising.....

DonnaF 😀

I was actually a tourist in Boston several weeks ago when the Brilliance stopped there from 9-3. We took a cab from Black Falcon to the Constitution in Charlestown ($16 incl tip on a no traffic Sunday morning). The ride took us all the way along the Greenway past the edge of the North End across to Charlestown. From the Constitution we took the MBTA water taxi to Long Wharf for $3/pp. We walked through Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall stopping at the Nat Park Service headquarters (no shopping). We followed the Freedom Trail backwards up to the Old Burying Ground and then on to Boston Common. To get back to the pier we took the Red Line to South Station and transferred to the Silver Line to Black Falcon. This took about 4.5 hours at a leisurely pace.

The Westin is about a third of a mile closer to downtown than the pier is.

Hey Donna, if you only have limited time to sightsee then I suggest you do a trolley tour.

http://www.trolleytours.com/boston/

http://bostonsupertours.com/upper-deck-trolley-tours/

http://bostonsupertours.com/maps-and-guides/

Supertours has an upper deck which you might like in summer, better views, pictures, etc. This trolley also goes over to Cambridge Harvard Sq.

You will get a great overview of Boston this way, stay on for the entire ride or get off and see a couple of the attractions. If you are coming in Boston, it will be high tourist season so probably longer waits. We took our grandsons on the trolley a couple of years ago and they loved it. You could get off at the Constitution (Old Ironsides) stop and board the ship (just walk around, you can do a tour but I'm sure it will be a long wait). The trolleys have designated stops along the way so you just wait there for the next trolley to come along. Typically it is about every 20 min but may be longer during the summer. Easiest way to see Boston. You could get off and do a walk thru Faneuil Hall or at the seaport stop and grab a bite to eat.

Duck tours are very popular as well. Check these out.

Boston is very popular these days.....

138East - nice day in Boston!

Yes it was a nice DIY tour of Boston that I always had wanted to try. Lots of folks ask what to do in Boston. Some folks want to ride the HoHo trolleys and some folks want to walk the Freedom Trail. For the folks interested in the Freedom Trail, I wanted to find a slightly different DIY option to recommend. After all the Freedom Trail is only a suggested walking route through downtown Boston that hits all the historical highlights.

By going to the Constitution first you start at the furthest point from the ship. In the height of the season the crowds there will be less first thing in the morning. IMO the "trail" between Charlestown and the North End is not an interesting walk. As an alternative the MBTA water taxi is a nice ride through part of the harbor with great views. From Long Wharf you can walk along the waterfront into the North End to find the Paul Revere House and Old North Church. You can pick up the "trail" in the North End and wander back to Quincy Market and follow the trail back to the beginning in Boston Common. The Red Line Park St Station is right at the Common and it's easy to take the "T" to South Station and transfer to the Silver Line back to the Cruiseport.

Another fun thing to do in not a lot of time is to take a tour from Boston Duck Tours. A colorful tour guide in some sort of costume drives a World War II-era amphibious vehicle through the streets of Boston, then into the river, then back to your starting point. It's a tour, not hop on, hop off, but the tour guides usually have entertaining patter. Mine was a Viking!

I know you can get one from the Prudential Center mall (near Copley Square) and I have heard you can also do this from the Museum of Science.

We have booked a cruise from Boston leaving September 28. Wanting to spend a few days in Boston prior, but now realize that it is last Sox home stand for the season....should we cancel and go another time...hotels aren't showing much for that weekend. Is staying post cruise a better option? Most city hotels are higher during the work week.

Dixie

Last home stand is no different, crowd-wise and hotel-wise, from any other game at Fenway. There just aren't thousands of folks flying to Boston and, staying in hotels to go to the games, whether it's the last home stand, the first home stand, or any other time during the season.

End of September *is* leaf peeping season, so that might have something to do with crowds

We have booked a cruise from Boston leaving September 28. Wanting to spend a few days in Boston prior, but now realize that it is last Sox home stand for the season....should we cancel and go another time...hotels aren't showing much for that weekend. Is staying post cruise a better option? Most city hotels are higher during the work week.

Dixie

For Sep 26-28

On Hotwire there is a 4* hotel with a 90% approval rating in the West End/TD Garden area for $208 plus tax. This could be the Boxer.

Also on Hotwire there is a 3.5* hotel with a 70% approval rating in the Theater District for $200 that is highly likely to be the Park Plaza. The Park Plaza can be booked cancellable on aa.com for $217 plus tax.

And one more on Hotwire - 4* hotel with 95% approval rating at the airport for $194 plus tax that is highly likely to be the Hilton, but could also be the Hyatt.

I stopped in to the Residence Inn today because every time I saw it mentioned here I said to myself "ain't no way they put a Residence Inn in that area because I haven't seen it", and yet there it was, right across from Thomson (who bought up all that real estate awhile back). VERY pretty lobby and friendly staff in the lobby and reservation desk. Easy drop off/pick up on the side street, and a large (for that area) short term parking area and garage next door if you've got a car (I didn't notice the rate, though).

• 2 weeks later...

]For Sep 26-28

On Hotwire there is a 4* hotel with a 90% approval rating in the West End/TD Garden area for $208 plus tax. This could be the Boxer.

Also on Hotwire there is a 3.5* hotel with a 70% approval rating in the Theater District for $200 that is highly likely to be the Park Plaza. The Park Plaza can be booked cancellable on aa.com for $217 plus tax.

And one more on Hotwire - 4* hotel with 95% approval rating at the airport for $194 plus tax that is highly likely to be the Hilton, but could also be the Hyatt.

Hotwire is showing a 4* for $88.00 July 7-9 Copley SQ/Back Bay, 90% recommended, any idea which hotel, thanks

]For Sep 26-28

Hotwire is showing a 4* for $88.00 July 7-9 Copley SQ/Back Bay, 90% recommended, any idea which hotel, thanks

Sounds like it could be the Sheraton. Whatever it is, it's the best deal I've seen in a long time for Boston. It's a 4*. It has a 90% approval rating. It's $88!!!!! It's in Back Bay. You can't go wrong. Book it immediately because for sure it will disappear immediately.

Hotel prices are going crazy in Boston :eek:

The hotel I booked 2 months ago at 101$ is now available at 195$ for the same room :eek:

I never thought 30 minutes away from Boston would be as expensive as Manhattan !!

Good thing I secured the room a while ago !

Sounds like it could be the Sheraton. Whatever it is, it's the best deal I've seen in a long time for Boston. It's a 4*. It has a 90% approval rating. It's $88!!!!! It's in Back Bay. You can't go wrong. Book it immediately because for sure it will disappear immediately.

Thanks for your help, i just booked it and it is the Sheraton

• 2 weeks later...
Congratulations! You got an absolutely fabulous deal. Thanks for posting back and telling us.

Hello Carol,

Some friends and I are also cruising out on Sept. 28 and plan on flying in on Sept 24th. We are looking to stay somewhere centrally located to most of the popular tourist sites, yet in an area that has restaurants and shopping within walking distance. We would like to avoid a rental car if possible, but may rent a car one day to drive out towards Cape Cod area? Any recommendations?

Thanks,

What's your budget? That is high season and hotels are pricey for your dates.

Not set in stone, but trying to stay around $200 a night - what are your thought of "VRBO" - I've used them in Italy, AZ and CA and have always had pretty good luck. I have found a couple of cute 1 BR for under $150 a night - I'm just not sure if the areas are good? One is around Fenway - if available - which I have yet to check is under $700 for four nights. Seems too good to be true :)