Clothing in Alaska

miodus

I will be sailing in less than 2 weeks to Alaska. Can anyone give me any tips on clothing. I know it is not the Caribbean; however it is not winter either. How heavy of clothing should I be bringing?

LAYERS !!

long sleeve T (or long underwear if you feel the cold), then a sweater/pullover topped with a hooded waterproof jacket. And carry a daypack to store your layers, cameras, wallet, etc. If you're cruising to or visiting a glacier, bring gloves and a scarf.

This question comes up every other day ... look over the first few pages of this forumto see previous responses.

layers is the correct answer

but being Canadian I would wear shorts and a t shirt

just to look tough

I also wear hockey jerseys...1 because again I am Canadian but 2 they are warm when its cold but seem to breath and not be as hot when it gets a bit warm.

We have done 2 May northbound Alaska cruises (yes I know weather can change quickly) but both times we felt over dressed as some locals were wearing short sleeves..did we look like tourists :eek: Getting to also leave in 2 weeks and it seems like the temps are on the warmer side for our ports...layers = yes !!

I would say check weather.com a couple of days before you leave for the 10 day forecast. As of right now, Anchorage and Fairbanks are trending towards the same temps we are having in the DC area. I know on glacier hikes and out on the open decks it can certainly be cooler as well. I tend to stay cold (always wear pants on an airplane), so I'm bringing short sleeve shirts, long sleeve shirts and sweaters. Going to have a variety and hopefully I will always have something that works for the weather/occasion!