Cinque Terre excursion

PMO

We are sailing on Celebrity's Equinox in October and wanted to know about their excursion to Cinque Terre or a private excursion to the area. We have been to Florence and Pisa and wanted something different. Any suggestions or information on excursions to that area or another area?

Thank you for any information you can give us.

We did Princess excursion last summer to Cinque Terra from Livorno and were very pleased. We first went by bus, then by boat from town to town, finally on a short train ride to catch the bus at the end. We had free time in each of the three or four towns we visited to walk around, shop, quick bite, even a wine tasting in the last town. It was a very nice excursion and would have been difficult to duplicate on our own and less expensive than the two of us doing it privately. One of the better ships excursions we have taken.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Thank you for your help with this. I am also considering San Gimignano and Volterra so we need to make a decision. We may even go with Rome in Limo, which we love.

We have done both excursions you are considering and both of them were with th cruise ship tour. Both were fantastic, but if we had to pick, well it would be cinque terre first. It was the best excursion we have ever taken.

We loved Cinque Terre, but I read recently that many of the trails are currently closed. You may want to check into this if walking these beautiful paths is important to you. Whatever you do, enjoy :)

We are sailing on Celebrity's Equinox in October and wanted to know about their excursion to Cinque Terre or a private excursion to the area. We have been to Florence and Pisa and wanted something different. Any suggestions or information on excursions to that area or another area?

Thank you for any information you can give us.

PMO, yes with Celebrity.

We have done the San Gimignano and Volterra (with lunch at a vineyard) three times now.

The lunch was great with lots of wines to sample.

But we still really enjoyed Cinque Terre. It was just such a perfect day and so very well organised.

We walked the path of love abd this was a highlight, but landslips closed it just after we were there. I'm not sure if it is open again yet, but if not, it would not take away a lot from the tour.

Andy

As at May 2014 the CT National Park website shows the ONLY section of the coastal path that is open is from Vernazza to Monterosso.

There are inland paths that link the villages but they involve a lot of steps and precipitous drops. For experienced hikers and the very fit only . Full details at CT Offices in the railway stations at La Spezia, Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza & Monterosso .

As at May 2014 the CT National Park website shows the ONLY section of the coastal path that is open is from Vernazza to Monterosso.

There are inland paths that link the villages but they involve a lot of steps and precipitous drops. For experienced hikers and the very fit only . Full details at CT Offices in the railway stations at La Spezia, Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza & Monterosso .

Just to add: the coastal trail between Vernazza and Monterosso al Mare isn't a walk in the park, either. It isn't paved. This one has steps, single track "goat trail", hugs the hillside with drops to the Med (and no guardrails) too. It can be a hot hike, too, with no shade after the first little bit by Vernazza. If you are used to hiking (not just walking), it will take about 90 minutes.

Really the only path that one could call "easy" was the Via dell'Amore, which has been closed for a couple of years now.

There are paths that are classified as easy, but they are far inland and not what the day-stop tourist is generally interested in.

For tourist visits, it's really either boat or train from town to town.

If you're interested, you can see how the paths are classified as well as which are open on the National Park's web site here: http://www.parco****onale5terre.it/sentieri_parco.asp

Edited by euro cruiser

Really the only path that one could call "easy" was the Via dell'Amore, which has been closed for a couple of years now.

There are paths that are classified as easy, but they are far inland and not what the day-stop tourist is generally interested in.

For tourist visits, it's really either boat or train from town to town.

If you're interested, you can see how the paths are classified as well as which are open on the National Park's web site here: http://www.parco****onale5terre.it/sentieri_parco.asp

I always like to warn people who say they want to walk a path or some such thing. I'm a trail runner. I also live in a resort town that is a world-class mt. biking destination. I see people all the time who are in over their heads on the trails. My friends and I did the entire Cinque Terre coastal trail one day of our 5 days in Vernazza - it kicked our butts… We were there the beginning of May and it was definitely hot along some of the trail. I couldn't imagine what it would be like in July or August!!

The only path on the CT that is really suitable for general public is Villa d More, the coastal path from Riomaggiore to Manarola . (Currently closed).

The rest of the coastal path, lots of stairs , precipitous drops and you need to be seriously fit or an experienced hiker .

The inland trails, more steps up and down, rough creek beds, precipitous ledges and drops . Not for the faint hearted .

We did Manarola - Corniglia last year October via the inland route, took three hours and we were stuffed . Days later did coastal trail Vernazza - Corniglia and lots of steps, medium difficult, again several hours .

The CT website rating of degree of difficulty for each section , er on the cautious side as many trails are really goat tracks including creek riverbeds strewn with rocks .

If you are unsteady on your feet or have a fear of heights then give all but the Villa de More a miss , as there are many bits where if you fall off you will be in big trouble as there are few safety railings .

Edited by kuldalai

DIY since I took a ship tour and regretted only seeing three towns while a table mate who was in a less healthy state than me did a DIY with a group and saw all five for a much less expensive price. Definitely a DIY especially when not in the middle of summer.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

To the previous poster: Were you docked in Livorno and saw all five towns and if so- did you go by car to each of the towns and how much time did you spend in the towns? I'm asking because our excursion with transportation to and from the port was 9 hours and we barely made it back to the ship on time. I was really glad that we were with a ship sponsored tour.

Thank you all for your insights. We decided to do San Gimignano and Volterra with Rome in Limo. I feel it will be a good choice especially with all the information about Cinque Terre I have heard. I do not know what I would do without all the help I get from these boards!

Thank you all for your insights. We decided to do San Gimignano and Volterra with Rome in Limo. I feel it will be a good choice especially with all the information about Cinque Terre I have heard. I do not know what I would do without all the help I get from these boards!

We just got back from Rome and Florence, and if you haven't seen any "old walled cities" yet, then San Gimignano is going to be a real delight.

I had been to Carcassonne years ago (off season, when we could drive right in - a real treat), but DH has not YET been there.

So when friends took us to San Gimignano about 2 weeks ago... DH was almost speechless.

We were planning to go on to Sienna that afternoon, but he just wanted to wander around, sitting down for some Gelato, taking photos, and then sitting down for some Gelato... :)

It was special.

For souvenirs (for yourself or gifts for others), there was a little shop a short distance in on the right where there were nicely woven (not printed) tea towels, etc., with the picture of the city woven in.

We bought several as gifts, as they weren't expensive.

GeezerCouple