Getting of Cruise and Flying Out of YVR - Heads up!

IggleDoer

We just got off the Pacific Princess and found a little problem at Vancouver Airport. Our flight didn't leave till 2:30 PM so we were in no particular rush to get to the airport.

We disembarked the ship at 9 AM (the last time available to leave the ship). We quickly got a cab and arrived at the airport before 10. When we got there, no one was at the US Air counter. We were told that they wouldn't show up at the counter until 11:30. US Air only has two flights a day (8 AM and 2:30 PM) and their employees are not there in between flights. Similarly, American Airlines doesn't have a flight to Dallas until 2:10, so their counter was also empty. I noticed that other US carriers also had empty counters during that time. So we waited for about an hour and a half.

Suggestion: If your cruise offers a tour of Vancouver prior to dropping passengers off at the Airport, you might want to consider taking it.

Also, YVR has a rather nice food court before security with a large variety of choices. 10 AM an odd time to eat but it was worth considering.

sorry, but I don't understand what the problem was ?

The recommended time for an int'l flight is usually 3 hrs, so the ticket counter opening at 11:30am would be right on target for a 2:30pm flight. Did the employees not show up? did you miss your flight? I feel like I'm missing something here.

sorry, but I don't understand what the problem was ?

The recommended time for an int'l flight is usually 3 hrs, so the ticket counter opening at 11:30am would be right on target for a 2:30pm flight. Did the employees not show up? did you miss your flight? I feel like I'm missing something here.

We had to wait an hour and a half with our luggage before proceeding. Not a big deal but would have preferred to wait on the "other side".

We booked a tour for Aug. The 1st time we flew out of Vancouver they charged a fee just before going through security. I think it was about 7 or $8 per person. do they still charge ??????

no. We went through last week. Plus US line is now a bit easier and faster - no card to fill out.

DaveOKC

We just got off the Pacific Princess and found a little problem at Vancouver Airport. Our flight didn't leave till 2:30 PM so we were in no particular rush to get to the airport.

We disembarked the ship at 9 AM (the last time available to leave the ship). We quickly got a cab and arrived at the airport before 10. When we got there, no one was at the US Air counter. We were told that they wouldn't show up at the counter until 11:30. US Air only has two flights a day (8 AM and 2:30 PM) and their employees are not there in between flights. Similarly, American Airlines doesn't have a flight to Dallas until 2:10, so their counter was also empty. I noticed that other US carriers also had empty counters during that time. So we waited for about an hour and a half.

Suggestion: If your cruise offers a tour of Vancouver prior to dropping passengers off at the Airport, you might want to consider taking it.

Also, YVR has a rather nice food court before security with a large variety of choices. 10 AM an odd time to eat but it was worth considering.

Good Advice. This happened to us on a canceled/delayed flight. I couldn't believe there was no one working at the counter! We usually take a "city tour" or something to pass the time if there is a long delay between disembarking and the flight. I much prefer a bus tour to waiting around at the airport.

We had to wait an hour and a half with our luggage before proceeding. Not a big deal but would have preferred to wait on the "other side".

Not unusual. In Fort Lauderdale at Southwest counter - can't check in til 4 hours prior to flight. We had to kill about an hour or so til we could check.

Even if there was someone at the check-in counter, the airlines won't take your bags until 4 hours before the departure. I'm not sure if YVR has lockers but I think they have a bag storage service. I think there's also a hotel attached. Perhaps drop your bags at the concierge desk if you don't want to be encumbered.

We booked a tour for Aug. The 1st time we flew out of Vancouver they charged a fee just before going through security. I think it was about 7 or $8 per person. do they still charge ??????

No, it is now included in the price of a plane ticket. So no extra to be paid upon departure.