Windstar/Gauguin Tahiti:Persons who have sailed on both ONLY

St Paul Girl

Hi CruiseCritic members:

I am new to this discussion board. My husband and I are planning on sailing around Tahiti in the autumn of 2015 and have narrowed down our choices to Windstar and Paul Gauguin.

I was going to post on the already being discussed thread, but we would like to hear from persons that have sailed on both and hopefully both in Tahiti.

Price is NOT an issue for us. We like fine dinning, meeting other persons, a little more casual than formal, I do NOT drink alcohol, but my husband makes up for me, and the cabin is a place to sleep, shower and nudge/wink/wink:)

We have sailed 3 times before, Holland America, Princess and Celebrity.

Your comments are very much appreciated.

Thank you and have a great day;

I have sailed both, but not in Tahiti on Windstar. Service was better in Windstar. Over all we found fellow passengers friendlier in Windstar--on the PG half the passengers will be either French or Japanese and speak little to no English. We preferred the cabin layout in Windstar. We preferred the menu on Windstar, and found the food to be overall higher quality. We preferred the band in Windstar, the entertainment in the PG was dismal.

We spent the cash in a balcony on the PG and used it maybe an hour all week, save the cash.

The atmosphere was casual elegance on both, we missed the open bridge in the Windstar.

We encountered a few issues on the PG that were not resolved to our satisfaction. We did enjoy the PG, they did a fantastic job with our vow renewal, but we would rather spend a few dollars more and be on Windstar in the future. We definitely feel they offer better value.

Hope that helps.

We also have been on both..the PG, Windstar , Windspirit, & Wind Surf. In Tahiti we have been on the old Tahitian Princess & the PG. We found the food & service on both WS & PG pretty equal. We really enjoyed the entertainment on the PG ( The Gaugaines & local troops) plus some interesting lectures. The plus on Windstar would be half as many people & the sails of course. We had a window cabin on the PG. It was adequate. Both lines have very comfortable cabins. If we went again it would be hard to choose. Would like to try sailing on Windstar there but the price is a bit more than the PG all things factored in. Good luck with your choice. I really don't think you would be disappointed either way. Tahiti is truly beautiful. One personal opinion... I really don't think staying in the overwater bungalows is worth the expense. I would rather spend more on a longer cruise.