help me not be under/over dressed

Jeff&Mel

We are taking our 4th cruise- our first on Celebrity. I am hearing that this is a VERY upscale cruise line- we chose it for the itinerary NOT the cruise line.

I am worried about what to wear- I have posted on the celebrity page and to tell you the truth it is the least friendly page of all the pages I have posted on... I hope this is not indicative of how the cruise will be :):eek:

So... my question is for those who have cruised this line- what was seen the most on non-formal nights? capris, sundresses, simple black dress?

I do not want to be over/underdressed.

I am way too stressed out about this!

TIA:)

We are taking our 4th cruise- our first on Celebrity. I am hearing that this is a VERY upscale cruise line- we chose it for the itinerary NOT the cruise line.

I am worried about what to wear- I have posted on the celebrity page and to tell you the truth it is the least friendly page of all the pages I have posted on... I hope this is not indicative of how the cruise will be :):eek:

So... my question is for those who have cruised this line- what was seen the most on non-formal nights? capris, sundresses, simple black dress?

I do not want to be over/underdressed.

I am way too stressed out about this!

TIA:)

Hate to say but....don't worry, be happy. We have 33 cruises on Celebrity and enjoyed 99% of them. Some boards have been real busy - especially the transatlantic ones (up to several thousand! posts. Formal? You'll find all types. If you (they) live nearer to ports of course they can bring as many bags and clothes as they wish. Tuxes are really going out as airlines have restricted weight and people don't want to pay for second piece.

You are yourself. Be comfortable. Don't worry 'bout others. You will see everything on board - as you know. The more upscale the more dress down. And as far as upscale goes it and the passengers have a lot more class than Carnival or Royal Caribbean. Now Oceania is the next step up but again, they dress up - down. No jackets ever required. Country club casual.

Hope I've helped.

Enjoy your cruise.

Lynne Coppoletta

Hate to say but....don't worry, be happy. We have 33 cruises on Celebrity and enjoyed 99% of them. Some boards have been real busy - especially the transatlantic ones (up to several thousand! posts. Formal? You'll find all types. If you (they) live nearer to ports of course they can bring as many bags and clothes as they wish. Tuxes are really going out as airlines have restricted weight and people don't want to pay for second piece.

You are yourself. Be comfortable. Don't worry 'bout others. You will see everything on board - as you know. The more upscale the more dress down. And as far as upscale goes it and the passengers have a lot more class than Carnival or Royal Caribbean. Now Oceania is the next step up but again, they dress up - down. No jackets ever required. Country club casual.

Hope I've helped.

Enjoy your cruise.

Lynne Coppoletta

33 Celebrity cruises!! You are an expert! Thanks for responding :)

What do you wear for dinner on casual nights?

If you have been on other cruise lines, wear basically what you would wear on those ships.

Most ladies wear pants or capris and nice tops, or simple basic dresses. I like to take ones that you can practically roll into a ball and not worry about wrinkles.

Our last cruise on Celebrity was the least dressed up cruise of any I have been on.

If you have been on other cruise lines, wear basically what you would wear on those ships.

Most ladies wear pants or capris and nice tops, or simple basic dresses. I like to take ones that you can practically roll into a ball and not worry about wrinkles.

Our last cruise on Celebrity was the least dressed up cruise of any I have been on.

Good to know! Thanks for the advicw:)

Celebrity isn't THAT "upscale"! Daytimes are very casual, with shorts/tees/swimsuits abounding. Dinners will be like on most other lines....slacks/collared shirts for men, capris, sundresses, skirts, slacks for women!

Formal nights will find suits/tuxes and cocktail dresses or evening gowns.

Hi,:) I have also been sailing with Celebrity for quite a few years now

and also have about 40 cruises with them. You will see many types

of dress.

Daytime is very casual.....shorts, t's, bathing suits, (depending on the

itinerary of course). Alaska would be more long pants, jeans, long

sleeves,..........the best way to pack for Alaska is layering for the

daytime.

Evenings? You will still find some women who wear long gowns, while

others wear dressy slacks and nice tops. Non-formal nights......you

will see sundresses, regular dresses, pants, capri's.......your husband

will be fine in a suit on formal night. No need to bring to bring a tux.

I saw your post over on the Celebrity board and hope you and your

family have a good time:).

You'll find that many people dress up just a tad more than on Royal Caribbean, but not everybody. I usually wear sundresses or pants and nice tops. I only bring stuff that packs well and dress things up with bold costume jewelry. I usually wear dresses if I'm going to a specialty restaurant, like a little black dress or similar in a color.

I've taken two cruises on Celebrity, both to Alaska. People tend to wear what I'd wear to work on casual nights - so a nicer end of business casual. My DH usually wore an oxford shirt and chinos, with a sweater if it was cold. I wore a knit dress or sundress with sweater most nights. We never felt out of place and tended to be among the more dressed up people on non-formal nights. Lots of women seemed to be in capris or dressy slacks. On formal night, my DH wore a dark suit and I wore a knee-length cocktail dress. Everyone we've met on Celebrity was polite and nobody seemed to be too focused on what others were doing, despite what you see on these forums! I think as long as you aren't on the crazy end of the spectrum (jeans and t-shirts on non-formal night, ballgown with a train and tiara on formal night) you should fit right in.

I'm a Celebrity sailor as well. I think you will find that on European sailings, people tend to dress a little fancier at dinner. Gowns and cocktail dresses on formal night and tuxes for men are not uncommon, but not everyone wears them. Regular evening dress for women would be a little more glam than on a Caribbean or Alaska cruise.

I also sail Royal Caribbean and have found that the European sailings are dressier than Caribbean and Alaskan.

I agree with the poster above, it depends on the itinerary. We have sailed Celebrity in the Med and Caribbean. The Med. was dressier overall.

I have also sailed on Carnival and RC- I do dress dressier on Celebrity. On Carnival and RC I would never wear my floor length gowns, on Celebrity I do.

However, my RC and Carnival cruises were weekend Bahamas trips that bring a very laid-back, party atmosphere. Whereas our Celebrity cruises have been 10 and 12 nights. Different vibe.

Just follow the guidelines posted on the X website and you will be just fine! Once you get on board, you will forget all that you read on here about attire ;):D

Have only been on one Celebrity cruise, so I am NOT an expert...BUT...

I had the same fears as you do. Most of the Doctors I work for cruise on Celebrity, so on their advice, we tried it. We thought there would be a bunch of snooty people, tuxes and ball gowns on Formal night. NOPE...WRONG.

Everyone was fantastic. Friendly. Wonderful.

Not many tuxes or ball gowns either.

Have a great time. We LOVED this cruise. (a lot less children also)

Great service

Great Food.:):o:)