Casual Nights

Rikiw111

I would say the difference is the same in an office environment. When jeans aren't allowed, khaki's are. Jeans are considered casual, and Khaki's are generally considered business casual, which would be one step up.

On our cruise in Feb 2005, the airline lost all of our luggage for the entire cruise. My husband is a big & tall man and we could not find a pair of pants to purchase for him so we only had jeans and two pair of shorts for him, thus we never ate in the dining room. The purser's desk told us we could and they would inform the maitre de of our situation which would allow us to wear jeans, but we opted not to due to feeliing too out of place. If the goal is to feel comfortable, I would find a comfortable pair of pants that are not jeans. That being said we did just fine eating in all of the other areas and it didn't really bother us much to not eat in the dining room, the food was great and was of a similiar menu as the dining room (per the menu on the cabin TV). So wear what you want and have a great time, we had no luggage for the entire trip and we still had a wonderful time!

I asked this earlier in this thread.

When did "resort casual" become "casual nights"?

Our last Carnival cruise was almost a year ago so I might not be up to date. Also my memory might be ka-ka. But I don't remember "Casual Nights" only remember "Resort casual" nights. But then we don't pay a lot of attention to the code other than formal nights. By that I mean we dress in at least "resort casual" attire unless we opt for the lido deck trough. Formal night means a tux to me [have no problem with those that wear a suit or jacket and tie]

But I'm serious, is there a "casual night" [not 1st nite] as opposed to "Resort casual"????

Dan

Resort Casual, Dressy Casual, Elegant Casual all have one thing in common, the word casual.

Who comes up with these idiotic terms anyway, oh yeah fashion people so they can sell more clothing!

If it is not formal night, then it is casual, and the personal interpretation of all these meaningless terms for clothing. Wear what you want!

To the posters who ask how hard is it to slip on Khaki's instead of Jeans, well I guess it would be pretty hard if you don't own any, or don't like wearing them. That's the good thing about casual, you can wear what YOU like, and what YOU think YOU look good in.

Cheers,

Peter

Peter, Are you really telling us you don't understand the difference between resort casual and casual? I find that absolutely impossible to believe.

I think you're telling us that if the rules said: No jeans are ever allowed on the ship by anybody at anytime for any purpose.......YOU would wear jeans.

And that says it all for me.

=============================================================

To: anyone

If there is such a thing as, "Casual night" I'd have to say jeans are acceptable for that.[still to hot and heavy for the tropics for me] But if there are only, "Resort Casual" nites. WE ALL KNOW that 'slacks' DO NOT mean jeans. You know whats right, quit trying to act stupid just because you don't like the dress code.

Dan

No, I don't think I ever referred to myself as stupid. :D

What I said was who thinks up these idiotic names for clothing.:confused:

Let me slip into my Elegantly Dressy Resort Casual outfit then I'll stroll into that there fancy eatin room, with all them cloth napkins and tablecloths and all them different eatin utensils. to eat, a meal. :rolleyes:

And, as a matter of fact, if they DID state plainly and clearly that no jeans are allowed in the dining rooms, and then they actually enforced a dress code, and actually refused entry to anyone that was not dressed appropriately, then perhaps this would be a moot point.

Since they don't on any of those points, jeans are fine.

Cheers,

Peter

I just got off the Conquest 7/31 sailing, and I saw ALL kinds of dress for casual. Since this was my first cruise, I had all types of visions of how the dress would really be with all of the horror stories on these boards. Let me tell you that I saw anywhere from jeans, shorts, bathing suit bottoms (guys), shorts, and anything else you can imagine. The thing that amazes me is that people actually take the time to notice this while they are supposed to be having the time of their life. Nobody was turned away in our dining room, and to be quite honest, the lights were so dim in the dining room that it was hard to tell what people were wearing. Trust me, the discussion on what to wear on these boards are waaaaaaaay overrated and I can't believe I actually worried about it before I left. Have a good cruise.

..........The thing that amazes me is that people actually take the time to notice this while they are supposed to be having the time of their life. ..........Trust me, the discussion on what to wear on these boards are waaaaaaaay overrated and I can't believe I actually worried about it before I left........

That has been my experience also. After reading all the heated debate that goes on here about the "proper dress" I thought I'd be paying more attention to it on our last cruise, but that wasn't the case. I guess it doesn't matter to me how one dresses as long as they are clean and polite.

My personal opinion is that jeans are such a prevalent style in today's dress that if Carnival didn't want them worn they would be included along with the "Shorts, t-shirts, tank tops and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner."

As mentioned, that is my personal opinion, and I respect those who feel otherwise. But if you really, really feel that strongly about jeans on (resort) casual night in a Carnival dining room you might want to request a corner table with your back facing the dining room, because there have been jeans worn on every cruise I have been on.

John

Peter, Are you really telling us you don't understand the difference between resort casual and casual? I find that absolutely impossible to believe.

I think you're telling us that if the rules said: No jeans are ever allowed on the ship by anybody at anytime for any purpose.......YOU would wear jeans.

And that says it all for me.

=============================================================

To: anyone

If there is such a thing as, "Casual night" I'd have to say jeans are acceptable for that.[still to hot and heavy for the tropics for me] But if there are only, "Resort Casual" nites. WE ALL KNOW that 'slacks' DO NOT mean jeans. You know whats right, quit trying to act stupid just because you don't like the dress code.

Dan

On Carnival, it's casual resort, not resort casual and they do have different meanings.

Anyone who says jeans are not allowed in the dining rooms is still a liar.

You're right, the dress code does say casual resort instead of resort casual.

(Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit)

And you're wrong when you say they don't mean the same thing.

Plus jeans are neither allowed nor excluded in the dress code. A case could be made that jeans are NEVER called "slacks" and thus disallowed But since they technically are slacks, you would obviously jump all over that.

As I said in an earlier post, you would wear your jeans no matter what the dress code stated. (at least until they started rigid enforcement)

Its the "spirit" of the dress code, not the legalese. But you would dispute that for your own purposes.

Be a slob or not, your choice, right or wrong.

And now I'm completely BORED with you and this post.

Dan

Twenty years ago people dressed up in coats/ties, fancy dresses/jewelry, and polished shoes to go to church ("put on your Sunday best") not so any more. And as I recall it was a big deal what people had on, at least by the comments & complements people made, nowadays jeans, tennis shoes, slaps, shorts, tees shirts, etc. seem to be the norm. I think that same trend is happening on cruises, at least for the non-formal nights, but rest assured that as long as ships can make money renting tuxs. & selling pics. there will always be formal nights.

mmmhmmm.... and what makes you think your opinion does carry weight?

I'm not suggesting, much less telling people what to wear. I don't offer works of fiction (Carnival's suggested/imaginary dress code), I report what people in fact, do wear. So which opinion is that?

You're right, I am bored with you people that intentionally misinterpet clearly stated rules just because you're too lazy, stubborn, or whatever to dress properly. You know what's right, but YOU don't care.

Adieu....till the next silly jeans, formal nite, tipping, thread.

Dan

I'm not suggesting, much less telling people what to wear. I don't offer works of fiction (Carnival's suggested/imaginary dress code), I report what people in fact, do wear. So which opinion is that?

Exactly that. That is your opinion on what you are doing and it may not be everyone else's interpretation of your actions. I know you will tell me that it's not your opinion it's "fact". Whatever. I'm tired of your attitude and rudeness to anyone on these boards who disagrees with your opinions.

You got that exactly right, I do know and I don't care. In the same fashion as not caring about the beverage police, the fashion police, the tipping police and all those other rules that people disregard. :eek:

I do know how to dress properly though, normally I start with the undies, then I put on a shirt, not too dressy or elegantly casual though, then slide on my socks, maybe some real purty sparkly ones, then just slide those casual resort jeans on and then finally slip into a pair of dressy casual sandals. :o

Cheers,

Peter

You're right, I am bored with you people that intentionally misinterpet clearly stated rules just because you're too lazy, stubborn, or whatever to dress properly. You know what's right, but YOU don't care.

Adieu....till the next silly jeans, formal nite, tipping, thread.

Dan

I'm not misinterpreting anything. I am reporting facts. It is you trying to pass fiction off as fact.

Exactly that. That is your opinion on what you are doing and it may not be everyone else's interpretation of your actions. I know you will tell me that it's not your opinion it's "fact". Whatever. I'm tired of your attitude and rudeness to anyone on these boards who disagrees with your opinions.

What I see people wearing is not opinion, it is fact. People suggesting or telling people how to dress is opinion. I refuse to let others be mislead.

Squish squish squish go the sour grapes of the wannabe aristocrats. The squishing will continue until all are are gone.

I'm sorry...but after reading this entire thread I HAD to say something.

First of all..I fully intend to dress up while on my cruise..to me, it's part of the fun.

Having said that..I have read where people have "implied" that a different "Class" of people don't dress in jeans.

This to me, is infuriating!! "Class" is knowing how to treat people, and being true to yourself and others...it has NOTHING at all to do with whether or not you wear denim.

Sorry, but I think that was just a bit harsh, and uncalled for...they are CLOTHES for Heaven's sake..relax.

Archived