Casual Nights

Rikiw111

As always, from the Carnival Website ...

I do have a question for those that wear jeans, since you have to change out of your shorts and/or bathing attire anyway, what's the difference between putting on a pair of khakis and putting on a pair of jeans?

I think for many people, it's just the brat factor: "I don' wanna and you can't make me, and I paid good money for this cruise and it's my vacation, and if you don't let me eat in here I'm gonna get a lawyer and sue you for RUINING my VACATION!" And the Maitre D, unruffled, nods and replies calmly, "Yes... I THOUGHT you looked American..."

I try to steer people inquiring what resort casual is to dress down days at work.

Jeans didn't even make the list of accepted item items on dress DOWN day in the examples provided. There was originally NO LIST OF UNACCEPTABLE ITEMS.

And of course, you had every other percieved unacceptable item attempted by certain individuals, from Tube tops to sweats, until a list of FORBIDDEN items had to be published.

There were still challenges, and finally dress DOWN day was done away with.

So from what I am reading it seems that it is okay to wear jeans on casual nights in the dining room? All that the Carnival FAQ says is no shorts and beach wear. If this is true then I am switching from RCI Vision to Carnival Pride for Mexico Cruise.

You are going to get a lot of strong opinions about this, Rikiw.

I can only going by what I have read from these boards and from reviews of the ship I am sailing, as well as the written dress code. Most say that they do see folks wearing jeans in the dining room on the casual nights. It would not bother my experience to see anyone in nice, well-fitting jeans on casual night, but that is me. I had considered taking some jeans with me for the casual dinners.

However, we are leaving on Saturday and I did not pack one pair of jeans. I had way too many other cute outfits! Wear what you are happy and comfortable with and have a great cruise!

For the record

I am a jeans person, I wear jeans when my wife thinks I am crazy for wearign them when it is too hot.

However, Business casual does not equal jeans.

I assume that casual night in the dining room is considered business casual. I have plenty of dockers, Kakai and other colors that I am sure will do fine.

Aks him to wear what he would wear to any really nice restraunt, you know, the more expensive ones.

Excuse me for saying this, but if your spouce is flat refusing to wear anything but jeans, that is kind of a control issue. I wouldnt fight it, but I would pack other things for him to wear. Chances are, he will wear what is apropriate at the time.

That is how my wife got me past some of my control issues :eek:

You are going to get a lot of strong opinions about this, Rikiw.

I can only going by what I have read from these boards and from reviews of the ship I am sailing, as well as the written dress code. Most say that they do see folks wearing jeans in the dining room on the casual nights. It would not bother my experience to see anyone in nice, well-fitting jeans on casual night, but that is me. I had considered taking some jeans with me for the casual dinners.

However, we are leaving on Saturday and I did not pack one pair of jeans. I had way too many other cute outfits! Wear what you are happy and comfortable with and have a great cruise!

I agree. Many people who ask this are first time cruisers who have no idea what the dining room looks like! It's usually big and elegant with linens, all the proper silverwear, beautiful placesettings and multi-course meals. I can't equate it to a restaurant that everyone would be familiar with, but more like a wedding or a reception in appearance. I personally am not put off when people are in jeans, although some peope are, but on the cruises I've been on so far I would have felt uncomfortable in them although I LIVE in jeans at home. Don't be put off at the thought of dressing up, there are easy solutions like khakis, which I for one don't find as comfortable, and besides there are so many other dining options that are usually very good, and sometimes better, than the dining room offerings. One of the formal nights usually has lobster so bring a nice outfit, if only to enjoy that!

By the way, in my experience, the early seating is a tad more casual. You might want to make sure you choose that option.

QUOTE=zydecocruiser]

Carnival doesn't have a dress code to speak of, and doesn't enforce it even if they did - except for shorts at dinner - sometimes, maybe.

Zy, we seem to be in agreement about everything except this.:D

Carnival DOES have a dress code. Why would you say they don't? The dress code is clearly spelled out in the "Welcome Aboard" brochure everybody receives with their documents. Also on the website, and in the big brochures.

And then, if that's not enough, it's also printed in the Capers every day for that evening. I'm looking a copy of the Capers. Under the DINING heading, it says:

"Tonight's Dress Code:

Tonight's dress is Resort Casual"

A search of "dress code" on Carnival's site says:

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

I am right there with all you guys and gals.

I wish Carnival would just follow Celebrity's lead and list how they want people to dress and what is not acceptable. The percentage of people that actually come to dinner in jeans or other inappropriate attire (ie.shorts) is so small that a revenue lose is nil.

Wear the jeans go ahead and look like an a** show your disrespect..Hopefully the matadree will ask you to leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It takes all types so I guess we know what class he is in... I just don't understand WHY people like to not follow the dress code!!!!! This is part of the fun of cruising!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't like it don't go!!!!! Reserve your self to the camp ground where jeans are expected for dinner!!!!!!

zydecocruiser

Probably should pass on this post but when a class-challenged bumkin calls those of us that appreciate a little class in our lives, LIARS. Just can't let that go. Since your upbringing evidently skipped the manners, good taste, and respect for others parts, I know nothing I could say will change your attitude. But I must ask if you really believe that the dress code posted above [and hundreds of other times] is not copied from Carnival's website? Do you really think that some of us made that all up? C'mon you were just kidding, right? Like I am, right?

Dan

zydecocruiser

Probably should pass on this post but when a class-challenged bumkin calls those of us that appreciate a little class in our lives, LIARS. Just can't let that go. Since your upbringing evidently skipped the manners, good taste, and respect for others parts, I know nothing I could say will change your attitude. But I must ask if you really believe that the dress code posted above [and hundreds of other times] is not copied from Carnival's website? Do you really think that some of us made that all up? C'mon you were just kidding, right? Like I am, right?

Dan

But they don't seem to have a "code" about jeans! They should just say it if that's what they want. They say slacks. The Dictionary says:

slacks Casual trousers that are not part of a suit.

Okay so trousers, the dictionary says:

trousers An outer garment for covering the body from the waist to the ankles, divided into sections to fit each leg separately. Often used in the plural.

Jeans woud certainly qualify. Carnival should be more specific about jeans since this is something that seems to be so heated on both sides. It appears by the omission of the word they intend to allow them but again, I don't feel comfortable in the dining room with them.

IMG_0421.jpg

Dh took this photo of our group wiating to eat on the second formal night. My camping, backpacking, flip-flop wearing (even in the winter) boys are the ones inthe tuxes! They had a blast dressing up. Can't wait to do it next year!

QUOTE=zydecocruiser]

Carnival doesn't have a dress code to speak of, and doesn't enforce it even if they did - except for shorts at dinner - sometimes, maybe.

Zy, we seem to be in agreement about everything except this.:D

Carnival DOES have a dress code. Why would you say they don't? The dress code is clearly spelled out in the "Welcome Aboard" brochure everybody receives with their documents. Also on the website, and in the big brochures.

And then, if that's not enough, it's also printed in the Capers every day for that evening. I'm looking a copy of the Capers. Under the DINING heading, it says:

"Tonight's Dress Code:

Tonight's dress is Resort Casual"

Guess we just have to agree to disagree. The question was are jeans ok in the dining room and the answer is YES. We have both seen jeans in the dining room and at least one of us has worn them.

Whether or not Carnival has a dress code and if so, what it is a different question. Whether it is enforced, yet another.

Of course, your spouse's dress code overrides Carnival's code, or lack thereof.

In black and white, in numerous locations, Carnival forbids passengers from carrying on liquor, yet enough liquor is smuggled on to float the boat!

Looking at my Conquest Capers from last November all it says is:

"Dress Code Tonight: Casual. No shorts or tank tops allowed"

a couple of days later:

"Dress Code Tonight: Casual - No Shorts"

From my Valor cruise - March of this year, it does indeed say:

"Resort Casual" is the recommended attire for this evenings meal. No shorts or tank tops.

by later in the week, it was "Elegant Casual - please no shorts"

Jeans ARE allowed and ok. :D

zydecocruiser

Dan

Those who say jeans are not allowed on casual nights are liars. I stand by my words. As for getting in the gutter and resorting to name calling, I refuse. I have more class than that.

Dh took this photo of our group wiating to eat on the second formal night. My camping, backpacking, flip-flop wearing (even in the winter) boys are the ones inthe tuxes! They had a blast dressing up. Can't wait to do it next year!

And they dressed like that for casual nights? The OP's question was are jeans ok for casual nights and the answer is YES.

What a beautiful photo and family! If nothing else, dressing up is a great reason for a photo op!

Z, the only thing to agree on is that you like to ruffle feathers. :D

But let's take a stab at this anyway.

In following the logic in your post, on your Conquest cruise early on a tank top would not have been allowed, but later on in the week it would have been fine. Similarly on your Valor cruise. That about right? ;)

Wear the jeans go ahead and look like an a** show your disrespect..Hopefully the matadree will ask you to leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It takes all types so I guess we know what class he is in... I just don't understand WHY people like to not follow the dress code!!!!! This is part of the fun of cruising!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't like it don't go!!!!! Reserve your self to the camp ground where jeans are expected for dinner!!!!!!

I think your response is rude. The original poster was asking a question that did not warrant such a response.

Folks will interpret the dress code in many ways. So in their opinion they will feel that they ARE following the dress code, even if it is not the majority of the opinions here. And as another poster stated, this is the cruiser's first cruise, so how would they know what the atmosphere is like. Get a grip!

Z, the only thing to agree on is that you like to ruffle feathers. :D

But let's take a stab at this anyway.

In following the logic in your post, on your Conquest cruise early on a tank top would not have been allowed, but later on in the week it would have been fine. Similarly on your Valor cruise. That about right? ;)

What I quoted was what was printed. True.

Wow! I had no idea such and honest and simple question would make "high class" people like yourselves get all upset and cussing and stuff. Thanks to all who stood up for my original post. I have heard enough. Let the posts stop now. I got the point.

Riki

Archived