QM2 Windows

Maid Marion

I have recently returned from an Atlantic crossing on QM2 after not having been on board for five years. At first I was not sure if I would like the "extended" voyage but any concerns I had soon melted away as I settled in and began to enjoy this great liner. I thought the the standard of service was excellent and that ship was in remarkably good condition. However, I was very disappointed about the state of the windows forward which in some cased totally obscured ocean, the view of which gave me much enjoyment on my several crossings in earlier years.

Notwithstanding, I was pleased to be told by an Officer that the windows were being replaced when the ship next goes into refit.

Well, QM2 is build to withstand all sorts of weathers hazards. So those windows are made of special reinforced materials and like a sandwich. Sun, salt, sand and windpressure do influence therse materials over the time and replacement is neither a job of a few hours nor of a few bucks.

It's like the omnipresent rust.

We departed the QM2 a few days ago, and also noticed the state of some of the windows. In the Todd English (where we had an excellent meal) on the starboard side, some of the windows are totally misted. Also, corrosion is noticeable on deck 7.

Apart from the size and quality of the martinis in the Commodore Club, we had an enjoyable trip, and the "wear and tear " is acceptable as the QM2 is now over 10 years old. Does anyone know when she is due for a major refit?

We departed the QM2 a few days ago, and also noticed the state of some of the windows. In the Todd English (where we had an excellent meal) on the starboard side, some of the windows are totally misted. Also, corrosion is noticeable on deck 7.

Apart from the size and quality of the martinis in the Commodore Club, we had an enjoyable trip, and the "wear and tear " is acceptable as the QM2 is now over 10 years old. Does anyone know when she is due for a major refit?

There's a huge hole in her schedule for November 2015. She last had a refit in November 2011 but this mostly involved re-painting her hull, general maintenance, and redoing soft furnishings.

There are all sorts of rumors about what the refit will include - coming from passengers who had conversations with officers and ex-crew members. But nothing from anybody in a position of authority or reliable knowledge.