AK RailRoad... which ticket to buy?

SparkleBee

My 2 children and I will be taking the AK RR from Seward to Anchorage at the end of August and then flying home at 1 am.

Pretty sure we'll book Gold Star class but oh my gosh it is so much more expensive. do you really think it's worth it?

Also, my son will be 12 and the cutoff for children's fare is at 11. I am so tempted to say he's 11... do lots of people do that? do they actually check this sort of thing? is that really bad for me to do? give me some input, I'm struggling with this. the difference is $70 (half off).

Also, my son will be 12 and the cutoff for children's fare is at 11. I am so tempted to say he's 11... do lots of people do that? do they actually check this sort of thing? is that really bad for me to do? give me some input, I'm struggling with this. the difference is $70 (half off).

Believe me, I'm not trying to be preachy to you, but since you asked the question, I'll ask you another one...In 7 years, would you be okay with him lying to get into a bar? He's old enough to realize you are lying about his age now.

If money is that much of a consideration, then I would suggest you do not get Gold Star Service.

Although you can't stay in it for the entire trip, do you realize that the regular fare includes time in a dome car? From the AKRR website: "The Coastal Classic train also has an older vista dome car that is shared by all passengers on the train. Passengers cannot reserve a seat in the vista dome, but are welcome to use it as a viewing area for about 20 minutes at a time. Our onboard tour guides help to ensure all interested passengers have a chance to sit in the dome at some point. There is quite a difference between the older vista dome car and the new double-deck dome car. The GoldStar cars are definitely the best cars on the railroad."

Personally, I don't see it as worth over $125 for 3 people...

"My 2 children and I will be taking the AK RR from Seward to Anchorage at the end of August and then flying home at 1 am.

Pretty sure we'll book Gold Star class but oh my gosh it is so much more expensive. do you really think it's worth it? "

I booked the adventure class because there are 2 for 1 coupons in Northern Lights coupon book so it was $85 for 2 people. You need the coupon in hand when booking as they ask you to send it it within a few days of booking. Your credit card is charged for one fare, the invoice shows you still owe for one fare. When the coupon gets to RR they credit your invoice and resend with no balance showing. Easy, and to me not worth the price of gold star with no coupons available.

Also I asked a business person in Seward if they thought it was worth it, and they said no.

We did the Gold Star Service and I really am glad we did. You get assigned seats in Gold Star (can't remember if regular service does or not). We also had a bar service (drinks for purchase) at the back of our car and dining on the lower level (also for purchase). My mother is one that prefers not to feel rushed to get a good seat, so knowing that the seats were assigned was a plus. Also, my son broke his foot 11 days before we left, so knowing we had assigned seats and didn't have to send someone ahead to get good seats and then save a couple extra for the kid on crutches put my mind at ease too.

As for claiming that your 12yo is only 11, I can't help you with that one. My kids were 13 & 17 when we rode the train. I wish that they had coupons for the Gold Star service as well as the regular service, but they didn't last year. Would have helped tremendously for the 5 of us.

Gold Star gets my vote. I was unsure as well - went ahead and booked Gold Star and cut our costs at some other points during the trip - boy am I glad that I did! We were actually *shocked* at how the rest of the train looked compared to Gold Class - it's the difference between a Nordstroms or Apple Store and a "Dollar Tree". The regular cars are very old with more dated looking seats than my local Amtrak trains - the dome that you can go up in in for 20 minutes at a time if you are in Adventure Class is smaller than the other dome and felt somewhat claustrophobic. The dining car is the difference between an old cafeteria and a nice land based restaurant and the toilets are either old all metal train toilets or "normal" bathroom toilets.

The difference was so shocking to us - we would have paid even more for Gold Star class. Plus..free soda! ;)

I'm really leaning towards just buying the adult ticket because in my heart I know I should, just figuring if this is the sort of thing most people slide a little on then I don't want to be a fool and spend $70 more than I have to. I doubt they check id and it would probably be fine. wanted to hear from anyone who did this.