New question about what to wear.. Ladies only please

shiner6

Ugggg, reading this is making me sad. I knew it would be colder, but recommendations for long underwear and hats and gloves? All jeans and no shorts? This is really depressing me but I am glad I read this thread. I thought the end of June would be somewhat warm. Seriously wondering why I wanted to do an Alaskan cruise so badly. I am cold all the time anyway, maybe should have done caribbean. Guess I'll head back to the closet and refigure things. :o

Ugggg, reading this is making me sad. I knew it would be colder, but recommendations for long underwear and hats and gloves? All jeans and no shorts? This is really depressing me but I am glad I read this thread. I thought the end of June would be somewhat warm. Seriously wondering why I wanted to do an Alaskan cruise so badly. I am cold all the time anyway, maybe should have done caribbean. Guess I'll head back to the closet and refigure things. :o

I never take long underwear and have never felt I needed it. I do take hat and gloves, only for glacier cruising day, and usually just wear them in the morning until it warms up. I take shorts and always wear them. I wear shorts and capris more than jeans.

Of course, all of this is dependent on your own comfort level. I grew up in So Cal, so don't deal well with real cold, but I've been living in the Seattle area for over 20 years and have mostly acclimated. I am used to cool, wet weather. I consider anything over 60 to be potential shorts weather, and anything over 80 is just too darn hot.

If you are from a hot climate, like Arizona or Florida, you may feel the cold in Alaska much more than me. Some people really do need long underwear and heavy coats, but most do not. Layers are key. A waterproof rain jacket with a hood is essential. Be prepared for the weather and you will be fine. You will love Alaska!

I am so glad I read this thread.

I am doing my first Alaska cruise and clothing and footwear was giving me a headache!

I am a jeans only girl so am soo glad that's all I'll need and that I can wear them into the dining room.

I'm not a sneakers girl at all but would never wear hiking boots so will invest in a pair of sneakers.

Tops I now have sorted and will definitely take too many.

I am from a wet and cool UK so sounds like my usual gear will do fine.

Thank you everyone.

🚢😀

We leave tomorrow for our 12 day cruise and tour. I just knew I would go over the luggage limit. I weighed it and was surprised it only weighed 32 pounds. I'm only taking two other pairs of jeans (besides what I'm wearing there), 1 pair bermuda shorts, 4 long sleeve tops, 5 short sleeve, 2 dressy tops, 1 dress, 4 pairs shoes, 2 jackets and the usual underwear and toiletries. I decided against long underwear, but am taking a hat and gloves. I waterproofed a pair of sneakers. I hope nobody notices that I may wear the same shirt and pants more then once. I'm done fretting. I'm just ready to leave. This is our first time to Alaska.

shaelyn, Sounds good, but I'd add a sweatshirt/sweater just in case you run into cold damp weather and need another layer between your tshirt and jacket. Hopefully you won't need it, but if you do, you'll be glad it's your daypack to throw on.

shaelyn, Sounds good, but I'd add a sweatshirt/sweater just in case you run into cold damp weather and need another layer between your tshirt and jacket. Hopefully you won't need it, but if you do, you'll be glad it's your daypack to throw on.

Actually two of my long sleeve is sweaters. I plan to buy a sweatshirt there(souvenior). I hope I won't need it also, but hopefully prepared. I'm not going to let cold or rain stop me!

Great thread! We are leaving Friday for our 7 day R/T Seattle cruise. I know it's too early to count, but next week looks like 70% rain for Skagway & Juneau. So I want to be prepared for rain and delighted with sun :) I have a waterproof jacket and many layers for underneath packed. I was thinking jeans or yoga pants with possible long underwear underneath. With the rain forecast, I'm not sure how good jeans will be. Any suggestions?

Great thread! We are leaving Friday for our 7 day R/T Seattle cruise. I know it's too early to count, but next week looks like 70% rain for Skagway & Juneau. So I want to be prepared for rain and delighted with sun :) I have a waterproof jacket and many layers for underneath packed. I was thinking jeans or yoga pants with possible long underwear underneath. With the rain forecast, I'm not sure how good jeans will be. Any suggestions?

Although rain is forecast, temperatures are supposed to be around 60. I don't think long underwear is necessary, except maybe on your glacier sailing day if you tend to get very cold.

Thank you ladies, for all of your great tips. I plan on using every one of them! I have only one remaining issue that has to do with hiking boots. I do not own any and usually wear Birkinstocks for everything. I did purchase a pair of Columbia sneakers for this trip , but now am concerned that they may not suffice for a whale watch boat trip and a visit to Mendenhall glacier. I own a pair of winter boots , but did not want the extra bulk in my suitcase. Any advice?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bearing in mind I've lived all my life in Wisconsin or Minnesota and I think I'm younger than your average cruiser...

I don't think you need winter boots. We just returned from our third Alaska trip. Most days I wore jeans, a 3/4 or long sleeve tee, and a fleece as needed. On deck I'd wear boat shoes, in port I'd wear waterproofed trail running shoes. I only wear long underwear on glacier day or if we're doing a really cold outdoor excursion. I do tend to wear wool socks, which helps stay warm.

We saw a LOT of people on our last cruise in UGG boots and down parkas. UGGs aren't great for slippery surfaces and the down parkas seemed extreme for me.

Pack a few pairs of jeans, lots of t-shirts, and a few fleeces or sweaters. ?You'll want to buy souvenirs, so get more sweatshirts there if you're cold!

Don't have time to read all posts, so I'm sure someone has mentioned this; but just in case - SILK long johns. Very different from the regular waffle weave ones. First - LIGHTWEIGHT - take almost no room in suitcase. Second - not TOO hot - they add just the right amount of warmth, but you don't over heat in warm rooms. - Third - FEEL GREAT - they're silk. I think I got mine online at Cabela's. We've sailed Alaska twice and these are the first thing I'm going to pack for our New England cruise this Fall.

• 3 weeks later...

Google "sloggers" for an inexpensive pair of waterproof comfortable shoes. Not too bulky for packing.:)

Thank you ladies, for all of your great tips. I plan on using every one of them! I have only one remaining issue that has to do with hiking boots. I do not own any and usually wear Birkinstocks for everything. I did purchase a pair of Columbia sneakers for this trip , but now am concerned that they may not suffice for a whale watch boat trip and a visit to Mendenhall glacier. I own a pair of winter boots , but did not want the extra bulk in my suitcase. Any advice?

We have been back from our Alaska trip for a week now. I did wear my black jeans to the dining room. The other ladies at my table wore nicer clothes, but I saw some wearing blue jeans. I water proofed my sneakers, but my feet still got wet on our whale watch tour in Icy Straight, but then it rained all day. I did not wear long underwear, never felt I needed it. I took capri's, never wore them. Most of the time I wore short sleeves and always had a jacket with me in case I needed it. I wore long sleeves and a jacket for whale watch and glacier times. I hope this helps. I discovered that I over thought all this.

Shaelyn, thanks for the feedback. We're packing now for our trip. I'm good with one suitcase, but DH has turned into a clothes horse and is bringing two! I'm a little worried about being underdressed, but I do have both formal nights covered.

Thank you! I think I can unload a good part of my clothes now! I'm completely addicted to Danskin Now loose fit knit pants [call them a poor woman's Lands End I guess]. They are fine for business casual work environment here, so I think they will be good for the cruise. I may never wear jeans again!!

I am taking a few 3/4 sleeve knit tops and a variety of scarves to dress up in the evening.

Thank you! I think I can unload a good part of my clothes now! I'm completely addicted to Danskin Now loose fit knit pants [call them a poor woman's Lands End I guess]. They are fine for business casual work environment here, so I think they will be good for the cruise. I may never wear jeans again!!

I am taking a few 3/4 sleeve knit tops and a variety of scarves to dress up in the evening.

yes!!! those danskin type pants are now my favorite!! no jeans for me! a few cute tops and a couple dressy ones will do just fine :) :D

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will be rethinking my 'dressy' clothes. I had planned on suit for DH and my mother-of-the-groom dress for me, but I think that I will go with slacks and dressy tops. I'll rethink my shoes as well. Planned on runners for the excursions, crocs for the pool, and dress sandals for dinner. Maybe a closed shoe would be better??

We're on the same cruise! Are you ready to go?

I had to switch my AK cruise....so, now I am princess on Aug 30th....we had friends going that this worked out better for them! enjoy!!!! but...yes, I am ready :D:D

I have now entered my "freaking out about packing" stage in my planning for our Alaska cruise on the Westerdam leaving Seattle on July 12th! My current obsession is shoes (I'll most likely be back with the tops obsession, followed by pants, jackets and evening wear).

I am currently planning on a pair of waterproof low rise hiking shoes, dressy sandals, a couple pair of Tom canvas shoes and sandals if we go to the hot tubs. What I don't have is something comfortable (and warm) for on the ship. I am thinking about getting some Ugg type slipper boots. Packing isn't an issue as we are driving this time. Also, should I pack a second pair of walking shoes? We aren't doing any formal excursions, but lots of walking in the poets.

It is hard to get my head around packing for cool wet weather when it is supposed to be almost 100 degrees here today.

I have now entered my "freaking out about packing" stage in my planning for our Alaska cruise on the Westerdam leaving Seattle on July 12th! My current obsession is shoes (I'll most likely be back with the tops obsession, followed by pants, jackets and evening wear).

I am currently planning on a pair of waterproof low rise hiking shoes, dressy sandals, a couple pair of Tom canvas shoes and sandals if we go to the hot tubs. What I don't have is something comfortable (and warm) for on the ship. I am thinking about getting some Ugg type slipper boots. Packing isn't an issue as we are driving this time. Also, should I pack a second pair of walking shoes? We aren't doing any formal excursions, but lots of walking in the poets.

It is hard to get my head around packing for cool wet weather when it is supposed to be almost 100 degrees here today.

I usually take 2 pairs of sneakers or sometimes just one pair of sneakers and one pair low cut hiking shoes. They are not much bulkier than sneakers but give me more stability if we will be walking on trails. I wear sneakers/hikers off the ship and on glacier sailing day when I'm outside for hours. I wear wool socks then for extra warmth. I also take 1-2 pairs of dress shoes and about 3-4 pairs of flip flops. :o They don't take much room. I wear the flip flops just wandering around the ship most of the time.

I've seen people wearing Uggs, but they seem like overkill, especially in July. They also seem unpractical when it's wet. You can just wear your Toms around the ship most of the time. Or bring a second pair of walking shoes/sneakers.