NYC Hotels - Marriott Marquis or "W" Hotel on Times Square?

Coral

NYC Hotels - Marriott Marquis or "W" Hotel on Times Square

Hotel rates for the 2 nights I am looking at are running about $400 plus a night (MTE, MTW, TimesSquare). I was able to find conference rates for a public conference (one that I would actually like to go to) for about $250/night. I never thought this would be a good rate but Priceline is not biting at $200/night (Hotwire is at $286) so I am looking at booking this conference rate.

My 2 choices are Marriott Marquis and "W" New York Time Square. "W" is about $20 more per night.

I have stayed at Marriott Marquis and while the location was great, the hotel reminded me of just a large convention hotel and nothing stood out but I would stay there again if that turns out to be the best choice

Does anyone have experience with either hotel to offer comparisons? I am assuming they are about a block apart? From the website, the "W" looks to be more of an upscale hotel - is this correct? Am I right to assume that "W" is Starwood's upscale line?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Theresa

Theresa,

Since I live in NY, I don't stay in the hotels here. However, in general, W is a more upscale chain than the Marriott and for $20. more a night, I'd go with the W. Also, I agree with you that the Marriott Marquis lobby looks very corporate.

I'm not sure if Times Square is your preferred location in NYC or not, but there are a couple of other W hotels in NY. They're on the east side in Murray Hill which is a lot calmer and quieter but also centrally located (right between Grand Central Station and the Empire State Building). So if they're also offering good rates, they would be excellent options also.

Jane

Of the two I would go with the W hotel. The Marriott is like any other big convention hotel and the rooms are alright. You might also want to look at the Westin Times Square on 42 and 8th. Friends of mine stayed there recently and I was surprised at how nice and spacious the rooms were

We got W Hotel for 150 per night last Sept through Priceline and loved it!

The location, the rooms and the BEDS!! Nice linens, down comforters. Very upscale. You feel like you are in a fancy New York Hotel!! That was a great surprise. Our first time (but not last) time to use Priceline. I had researched hotels in Times Square area and most were rated small, dingy, dirty, smelly, etc. Our room was not huge, our view was of tall sides of buildings, halls were long and typical hotel halls, but we loved it and had a great time. Ate at cafe/deli right by front door, walked everywhere, subway was also right there. We did double decker bus tour day/night and loved it. Bought play tickets at good prices day of play. Have fun!

Karin

We are staying at Radio City Apartments prior to a cruise. We are attending a play Tuesday night. Can anyone tell me where can go afterwards for maybe dessert and drinks. The hotel is on 49th street. Thanks

Since I live here, I only visit the hotels when friends or family come to visit.

The W Times Square does have style and is more "upscale" but the rooms are TINY! And you will have to wade through the annoying people hanging out in the lobby to get to your room. Blue Fin, the restaurant at street level, is great! You should check it out.

Archived