How hard would this be? Hamburg and Kiel

Okay we found a small cruise going from Kiel next year that goes to Copenhagen that hubby wants. He also wants to go to Scotland. We found another cruise form Hamburg that goes to 4 ports in Scotland we like.

Here is the tricky part. We would disembark for the 4 day cruise on May 16th and embark on the 12 day cruise on May 16.

We found by googling they are a little over an hour part and there are trains between the 2, would this be a nightmare?

Both cruises are the same line (MSC) I am wondering if they would possibly have a shuttle between the 2 cities-maybe we are not the only idiots that would consider that.

Now I would have no qualms about doing 2 back to back cruises between Tampa and Port Canaveral or between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami here in my home country where I am familiar but this frightens me a bit.

Any thoughts form some of you seasoned European travelers who do not speak German?

Have you checked the train schedule to see when the train runs & what time is the latest you need to board the 2nd cruise??

You could always ask MSC about a shuttle or transfer service

sounds doable ..or rent a car & make the trip between the 2 ports

Edited by LHT28

Have you checked the train schedule to see when the train runs & what time is the latest you need to board the 2nd cruise??

You could always ask MSC about a shuttle or transfer service

sounds doable ..or rent a car & make the trip between the 2 ports

We have emailed MSC to see if they offer a shuttle. I would also like to know if the train station are far from the cruise ship ports. But, if it is maybe we can arrange car services in advance.

This cruise is nearly a year away so I am not sure if train schedules would be out this early. I actually think that would be fun to go by train,if it was not too much of a hassle. If the norm is there are several trains daily, then I would not worry about train schedules a year from now. I'm just thinking if it only ran every other day or not on Saturdays, etc. May 16 is a Saturday next year.

If MSC offered a shuttles to and from the train stations that would work okay for sure. I would like that better than a shuttle between the 2 ports.

I was just wondering in anyone who does not speak German has tried this.

I don't now what time you will disembark and then need to embark on the new ship, but the two cities are only 60miles apart.

We lived in Germany for four years and using the trains are easy. You can do some research on the internet before you go.

Raileurope is one site that can give you information, but don't book through them, they charge more than the German rail site.

http://www.deutschebahn.com/en/start.html

I found frequent trains from kiel to hamburg

There are three departing from 10 to 11 am

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en?ld=9641&country=GBR&seqnr=1&ident=oh.0413341.1401656324&rt=1&OK#focus

It seems that the trip is a little more than an hour.

Many people in Germany speak English, especially at the rail station.

I think the MSC website gives departure port info ,in Kiel seems pier is within walking distance of the main railway stn, in Hamburg they give details of train from the main stn to the pier, checking times on Bahn.de seems about 2hrs travel time.point to point

I think the MSC website gives departure port info ,in Kiel seems pier is within walking distance of the main railway stn, in Hamburg they give details of train from the main stn to the pier, checking times on Bahn.de seems about 2hrs travel time.point to point

that would work-as long as we made the second ship by muster drill all is good.

came across a shuttle from Kiel Cruise ter to Hamburg Apt which probably would also go to the cruise terminal http://www.tourshuttle.com

Sounds like flying into Hamburg would be best, take that shuttle to Kiel and after the first cruise do the reverse to next cruise. I imagine there may be a ferry too huh? It may take too long though.

We had a port stop in Kiel and wanted to visit Hamburg for the day. Took the train and it was easy. We walked to the train station, but it was a pretty long walk, and with luggage, I would take a cab. Buy tickets right there and get the next train as they run frequently. Takes about an hour. Hamburg train station is large and too far to walk to the port area. There is a metro right at the Hamburg station, but again, with luggage, best to take a cab. Both cab rides shouldn't be much, as they are short trips. The ticket sellers at the train station speak English, so no problem there. You will be in Hamburg well before noon, so no problem making the second ship.

Great that you did such extensive planning and can take 2 cruises to meet your desired itinerary.

Kiel cruise terminal Ostseekai (roughly ≈ East Sea Quay) -> Kiel Hbf railway station (Hbf = Hauptbahnhof ≈ Head Railway Station ≈ Central station):

wmfq8n.jpg

Or 4 minutes by car on the same route.

Take the train, lots of options (Intercity 1.05h or Regional-Express which takes around 15 minutes longer).

Plan on http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml

Train costs given are around €19-23 which is around $25-30 per person.

Hamburg Hbf -> Hamburg Cruise Center

54c5tt.jpg

Or a 28 minute walk on the same route, according to Google.

Or as said above, at Hamburg Hbf transfer to the metro, any 10 minutes U4 towards HafenCity Universität ( ≈ Harbour City University). Get out at the Überseequartier ( ≈ Overseas Quarter) stop. Walk around the block.

sm62ja.jpg

By car point to point the Kiel - Hamburg route is around 100km/62miles and takes 1¼-1½h.

Happy cruising!

Edited by FreestyleNovice

We had a port stop in Kiel and wanted to visit Hamburg for the day. Took the train and it was easy. We walked to the train station, but it was a pretty long walk, and with luggage, I would take a cab. Buy tickets right there and get the next train as they run frequently. Takes about an hour. Hamburg train station is large and too far to walk to the port area. There is a metro right at the Hamburg station, but again, with luggage, best to take a cab. Both cab rides shouldn't be much, as they are short trips. The ticket sellers at the train station speak English, so no problem there. You will be in Hamburg well before noon, so no problem making the second ship.

Great that you did such extensive planning and can take 2 cruises to meet your desired itinerary.

Lol! I have been looking since March as each cruise line put up their next year's schedule. We found one we could do that was repositioning on NCL (September 2015)that did all the ports too, so we may go with that. We would fly into Copenhagen for that cruise and disembark at Dover. There is also a Princess cruise, 7 day, leaving from Southampton that overnights in Copenhagen. If we booked that we would buy a week British rail pass and go up to Scotland on our own.

I doubt we will book before September, but the MSC cruises do appeal to me the most, as we would see a bit of Germany too. I am not sure I am up for 12 days on NCL, as they are my least favorite line almost, well I dislike Carnival a bit more but not much!

I have never cruised MSC so I may would dislike them even more, but if we take either NCL or MSC I will just consider the cruise as transportation between ports, so I won't be too disappointed-and who knows? I may find I actually enjoyed the cruise ships too!

Kiel cruise terminal Ostseekai (roughly ≈ East Sea Quay) -> Kiel Hbf railway station (Hbf = Hauptbahnhof ≈ Head Railway Station ≈ Central station):

wmfq8n.jpg

Or 4 minutes by car on the same route.

Take the train, lots of options (Intercity 1.05h or Regional-Express which takes around 15 minutes longer).

Plan on http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml

Train costs given are around €19-23 which is around $25-30 per person.

Hamburg Hbf -> Hamburg Cruise Center

54c5tt.jpg

Or a 28 minute walk on the same route, according to Google.

Or as said above, at Hamburg Hbf transfer to the metro, any 10 minutes U4 towards HafenCity Universität ( ≈ Harbour City University). Get out at the Überseequartier ( ≈ Overseas Quarter) stop. Walk around the block.

sm62ja.jpg

By car point to point the Kiel - Hamburg route is around 100km/62miles and takes 1¼-1½h.

Happy cruising!

I may would do the 15 minute walks, but 28 minutes is too long, even with rolling luggage. However, minus luggage I would not mind. I actually hope MSC offers a shuttle to the train stations, or even better, a shuttle between ports.

Perhaps booking a car service would be better.

I may would do the 15 minute walks, but 28 minutes is too long, even with rolling luggage. However, minus luggage I would not mind. I actually hope MSC offers a shuttle to the train stations, or even better, a shuttle between ports.

Perhaps booking a car service would be better.

The Kiel area also has a lot of larger ferry ships, perhaps a good view too.

I am not familiar with car services in Germany but those German intercity trains do have an great BordBistro for a snack/sandwich and a drink. It's a comfortable and even more scenic way of traveling. :)

And I agree on the cab/taxi for the Hamburg Hbf to port part. Taxi's will be at the taxi stand at Hbf.

Edited by FreestyleNovice