Collecting Holland America Line ceramics

schylger

Hi everyone,

I have updated my collection with my latest acquisitions in tiles and World Voyage plates. I am still working on the other plates, so that part is still not complete. I am looking for the 1996 Ryndam Mariner's tile (that is the windmill tile without year under the windmill) and would really appreciate if anyone had one I can purchase to make my Mariner Tiles collection complete!!

Browse around in my collection at http://www.hollandamericaline.us

Happy collecting

Tiemen Spits

Last week I visited the factory, Royal Goedewaagen, who makes these beautiful tiles. They are the last factory in Holland that makes these ceramics mainly by handcraft.

http://www.goedewaagen.nl

There are two more...

Royal Delft Called the last factory dating back from 17th century.

and

Delft Pottery.

I wonder why Goedwaggen called the last factory making by handicraft?

Goedewaagen make the tiles for HAL using my artwork on the Mariner tiles. A few years ago they made the EURODAM inaugural plate from 'Delftware'... another factory.

Last year was a chance to but some special pieces from Goedwaggen on sale NOORDAM.

Stephen

... There are two more...

Royal Delft Called the last factory dating back from 17th century.

and Delft Pottery. I wonder why Goedwaggen called the last factory making by handicraft? ..... Stephen

Royal Delft is now "Porceleyne Fles" and its production is in China, only a few unique pieces are made by hand in The Netherlands.

Delft Pottery is not the name of a factory to my knowledge.

In which period you made artwork for the Mariner tiles Stephen?

Edited by PeetNL

Royal Delft is now "Porceleyne Fles" and its production is in China, only a few unique pieces are made by hand in The Netherlands.

Delft Pottery is not the name of a factory to my knowledge.

In which period you made artwork for the Mariner tiles Stephen?

Hello PeetNL,

I am sorry to hear that Porceleyne Fles have gone 'overseas'. Seems almost a lost of a national treasure.

The piece from EURODAM plate was made ..... Westraven Handmade Delft - Delftware - Member of Royal Delft.

My artwork is used on the current Mariner tiles with Goedewaggen and the next set should be sometime..... eventually.

Have some other pieces, but just originals. Will a post some ...

Stephen

814221220_PRINSENDAMTILE786photo1.jpg.4cde6efdbd81652e581087036ba6ca3f.jpg

1417460193_HALVEMAENTILES.jpg.729d93739cf28b63b9a04d2148212651.jpg

585304043_MAASDAMPLATE.jpg.dfc1593204c7d6d4ced93ec7d0129733.jpg

1381646431_OLDNOORDAMPLATE.jpg.48d0a58bd3fd600c3cc5b38d022c012a.jpg

1034246007_TilesHALsml.jpg.e3c657e63f6c6bdd737d6820fa675aa0.jpg

Edited by Topsham

• 1 year later...

This is quite a coincidence. A few days ago I came across the mariner's tiles that my mother and I received during cruises in 2007-2009. I decided they needed to be displayed somehow, so I grouped them on a small coffee table in our family room where we can see them everyday. (They can also serve a secondary purpose as coasters.) But I couldn't remember exactly what the tiles represented so I was glad to learn from your web site that they were reproductions of HAL posters. Thank you!

I inherited a little blue "pie cabinet" from my parents that had served as a phone stand for them. I put it in our bedroom and used it to hold some seldom-used hand weights. Recently I was inspired to put the weights in a closet and arrange 14 Mariner tiles and three Inaugural Plates in the cabinet.

Now, every morning after I put my glasses on, I can see those tiles and plates.

Mrs M

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

I have updated my collection with my latest acquisitions in tiles and World Voyage plates. I am still working on the other plates, so that part is still not complete. I am looking for the 1996 Ryndam Mariner's tile (that is the windmill tile without year under the windmill) and would really appreciate if anyone had one I can purchase to make my Mariner Tiles collection complete!!

Browse around in my collection at http://www.hollandamericaline.us

Happy collecting

Tiemen Spits

Hartstikke mooie kollektie Tiemen!/Great collection Tiemen!

I've been looking for that 1996 Ryndam Mariner's tile (The windmill without the year on the bottom) for years (and also the 2002 Westerdam tile) but have yet to locate both. Those two seem to be very hard to come by for some resaon

Good luck en het beste!

Ryndam.jpg

Westerdam.jpg

Hi everyone,

Browse around in my collection at www.hollandamericaline.us

Happy collecting

Tiemen Spits

You have a great collection ...

This thread inspired me to search under one kitchen cabinet where my Tile Stash is stored. Unfortunately I don't have the one you need.

But I DID find the little hummingbird feeder I'd been looking for. :D

Thanks for that!

I tried to reply to your email, but it bounced. Both my wife and I think that we have a tile with a windmill on it. The photo I posted is indeed from the HAL site, but we think that's what our tile looks like. We moved two years ago, and most of our tiles are in storage. I will check next time we go to our storage unit and let you know.

I tried to reply to your email, but it bounced. Both my wife and I think that we have a tile with a windmill on it. The photo I posted is indeed from the HAL site, but we think that's what our tile looks like. We moved two years ago, and most of our tiles are in storage. I will check next time we go to our storage unit and let you know.

Hey; morning to you Sir! ;) Be advised that there is a second series of 'windmill tiles' (the 1995 ones) that are identical to the 1996 series but have the year underneath ;)

Hey; morning to you Sir! ;) Be advised that there is a second series of 'windmill tiles' (the 1995 ones) that are identical to the 1996 series but have the year underneath ;)

And a cheery good morning to you as well! I don't recall whether or not the year was under the windmill or not. We had them out in our office in Maine, but when we moved to Florida, there wasn't enough room for them. So, they're in a box in our storage unit. (That's a little room that you pay each month because you didn't have the discipline to throw things away when you moved. :) )