check in 1pm-3pm ONLY, due to Belize?

LBroxon

I've seen lots of different emails from Carnival in the few days preceding a cruise advising us not to go to the port until check-in from 1:00-3:00.

However, we got one today with a bit of a different wording:

"On Sunday, as a result of additional document screening measures implemented by Customs and Border Protection for cruises returning from Belize, our debarkation process is expected to run a bit behind schedule.

"As a reminder, check-in for your cruise is scheduled from 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM. For your comfort and convenience, since seating is limited at our cruise terminal, please do not arrive for check-in prior to 1:00 PM. Our departure remains the same at 4:00 PM."

I've never heeded these emails in the past, and have always showed up to the port around 11am with no issues. However, I am wondering if I should pay closer attention to this one? Any advice?

What's the rush? I say get there at 3pm. If there is no delay, you will walk right on the ship and your cabin will be ready for you. Arrive in the delay and your cruise starts out on a frustrating note.

Yeah you will miss the lunch buffet, but that will make dinner taste that much better!

When we were ready to board the Valor in 2012 it just returned from a western itinerary (including Belize) too and there was a 'slightly' delay in boarding due to the extra document screening: they started boarding at 4:30/5:00PM and we left Miami 1 hour late... Maybe don't rush to the port and take your time to get there that day.

Edited by Robertable

What's the rush? I say get there at 3pm. If there is no delay, you will walk right on the ship and your cabin will be ready for you. Arrive in the delay and your cruise starts out on a frustrating note.

Thanks for the input, and I would take your advice regarding not rushing to the port, however, due to flying in the day of the cruise and previously arranged transfers to the ship, we really don't have an option but to get there around 11:30. Even if I changed my transfers to pick up later, that just means I'm sitting in the airport longer. Waiting at either sound like no fun, so I guess I'll just keep everything set the way it is.

We've discovered that the 'stated reason' emails are truly informative. Not like the generic email for crowd control.

I thought I had heard this too, like with the Health Department inspection emails. I just never had a "stated reason" email before, and only the crowd control type. I had never even heard of this particular reason, as I've been to Belize and never had an issue. Thanks for the advice!

When we were ready to board the Valor in 2012 it just returned from a western itinerary (including Belize) too and there was a 'slightly' delay in boarding due to the extra document screening: they started boarding at 4:30/5:00PM and we left Miami 1 hour late... Maybe don't rush to the port and take your time to get there that day.

WOW! That is certainly something that I would not want to happen! Did everyone have to wait in the terminal? How did they accommodate all of that?

I've seen lots of different emails from Carnival in the few days preceding a cruise advising us not to go to the port until check-in from 1:00-3:00.

"On Sunday, as a result of additional document screening measures implemented by Customs and Border Protection for cruises returning from Belize, our debarkation process is expected to run a bit behind schedule.

"As a reminder, check-in for your cruise is scheduled from 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM. For your comfort and convenience, since seating is limited at our cruise terminal, please do not arrive for check-in prior to 1:00 PM. Our departure remains the same at 4:00 PM."

I've never heeded these emails in the past, and have always showed up to the port around 11am with no issues. However, I am wondering if I should pay closer attention to this one? Any advice?

Unless the screening is something totally new I would ignore it. I sailed on conquest in an itinerary that included Belize as recently as May 4th. I was on board the ship eating lunch before 12:30 and everybody was off the boat by 11 a.m.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Unless the screening is something totally new I would ignore it. I sailed on conquest in an itinerary that included Belize as recently as May 4th. I was on board the ship eating lunch before 12:30 and everybody was off the boat by 11 a.m.

Thanks for the advice. The issue is that the previous cruise (the one debarking on our embarkation day) will have been to Belize. Our itinerary does not stop at Belize. I wonder if the cruise prior to yours had also gone to Belize. Regardless, I think I am going to keep my travel plans the same. If I have to wait at the port (hopefully, inside the terminal), so be it! Who cares, I'm going on a cruise!!! :D

Thanks again.

Thanks for the advice. The issue is that the previous cruise (the one debarking on our embarkation day) will have been to Belize. Our itinerary does not stop at Belize. I wonder if the cruise prior to yours had also gone to Belize. Regardless, I think I am going to keep my travel plans the same. If I have to wait at the port (hopefully, inside the terminal), so be it! Who cares, I'm going on a cruise!!! :D

Thanks again.

For there to be a delay in boarding there would have to be a delay in debarkation. There was none even though our boat had been to Belize. So unless they have changed the customs screening procedures since May 11th there was no delay in debarkation so I'm pretty sure the next group got on board on time.

People have posted this one as well before. I forget the outcome, but the choice is ultimately what you do. Personally, I would still go at the time I like to arrive (which is usually between 10:30 and 11:30, expecting the worst and hope for the best. Just prepare yourself for the worst with drinks, snacks and something to do to pass the time. I'd rather be first in line in a scramble than in the back. I got caught in the latter once, and it took 3 hours to board. Get me on the ship as soon as possible.

We did the NCL Dawn over Thanksgiving, 2013, and received no notice. Got to Tampa Port at regular time, think it was 11 am. Found passengers outside waiting to get off. Finally embarked about 3pm. Terrible waste of time and issed everyone off. Came back, in line to self disembark at 7:30 am. Finally was off the ship about 10:15, in line all that time, hardly moving. So if you take your own snacks and it's good weather to wait outside and you are patient, do your thing. If NCL had been honest, as they definitely knew it was going to happen, we would have shown up later. Details of this, see NCL message board, Darn Dawn cruise.