Questions before I book

tinkerbell1984

Cruising Alaska is something I have dreamed about for years but we always stuck to the same Caribbean stuff due to expensive flights and young kids. After finally accomplishing other "dream cruises" (and I have many more) of the Southern Caribbean and cruising the Allure (just for the ship), I figured it was time to cross Alaska (or Hawaii) off my list now that my kids are a little older (will be 9 and 6 at the time of cruise) and paying for them to fly doesn't make me cringe as much. I am choosing Alaska first, I think my kids will enjoy Hawaii the most, so I want them to be a lil older...And it requires more saving.

I have a few questions though. I am considering the Carnival Legend out of Vancouver to Seattle, 8 day, going to Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. From the reasearch I've done, this going to both those places seems to be a good deal...The Royal itinerary doesn't seem as appealing and I am not quite sure how appealing Celebrity, Princess, NCL, etc, would be to my children ship wise and Disney is just too pricey.

Anyways, would my kids need passports if I flew roundtrip to Seattle and took a train to BC? From what I can gather, the answer is no. I know if I flew there they would. I also don't think they would need one coming from BC to Seattle by sea, only I would, is that correct?

My question is also what kind of letter would I need from the non traveling parent. Would I need a letter to fly to Seattle and/or cruise back into the US since I'm not visiting other countries after leaving BC? I am assuming I'd need one for the train if I went that route. We have never flown before either. I almost want to just get the passports for them and fly to BC then home from Seattle to bypass all this additional stuff but I want to save as much money as possible.

I would also like some insight from those who cruised w/o a balcony...Did you feel you missed out on anything?

This is probably the one and only time I will cruise Alaska so I want to make sure I get everything I need, do the right excusions, and pick the best itinerary and cabin for my family.

All of this is much more stressful and requires much more planning than just drving 8-12 hrs and catching a ship in Florida, but from what I can gather Alaska is a must see and the pictures are breathtaking, I can't imagine seeing it in person. :)

From what I understand, the kids wouldn't need passports but would need birth certificates, and you would need a letter of consent. See this chart on Trip Advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-s602/Canada:Crossing.The.Border.html

Don't assume that your kids will only be happy on Carnival or Royal. My kids were older when I took them on Princess and they had a wonderful time. Many people with younger kids say that they love the kids clubs on Princess. If this is a once in a lifetime thing, you should choose it based on the itinerary that suits you best. At least look at some of the others and see if you find something appealing.

I think Carnival only does that 8 day itinerary with Glacier Bay once at the beginning of the season (May) and once at the end (September) when most kids are in school. I don't know if this is an issue with your kids, but you might also find that there are fewer other kids on board at that time.

I usually cruise in inside cabins and don't feel like I'm missing out on much. I'm on a tight budget and would rather spend money on excursions. I spend a lot of time on the open decks instead of a balcony.

Alaska is truly beautiful, so don't be surprised if this doesn't end up being your "only" trip. :D

Only a general comment- but you can tour Hawaii FAR more cheaply, due to so much just being drive up with none or low admissions. This is comparing cruises. Alaska, in my opinion, if "once in a lifetime" isn't the place to skimp on tours. By comparison these can involve some of the most costly touring. Especially with a 6 year old, Hawaii may offer much more? This is pure speculation, but maybe something more to think about? :)

I am actually on that Carnival sailing. Port times are excellent.

I suggest you take a close look at a shore excursion list and determine HOW you plan on spending your port time. There is way more to Alaska than shopping and wandering the immediate port areas- my opinion only. BUT, plenty of people are just fine with that choice. Know your traveling style answers in advance so you book the right trip for you.

Only a general comment- but you can tour Hawaii FAR more cheaply, due to so much just being drive up with none or low admissions. This is comparing cruises. Alaska, in my opinion, if "once in a lifetime" isn't the place to skimp on tours. By comparison these can involve some of the most costly touring. Especially with a 6 year old, Hawaii may offer much more? This is pure speculation, but maybe something more to think about? :)

I am actually on that Carnival sailing. Port times are excellent.

I suggest you take a close look at a shore excursion list and determine HOW you plan on spending your port time. There is way more to Alaska than shopping and wandering the immediate port areas- my opinion only. BUT, plenty of people are just fine with that choice. Know your traveling style answers in advance so you book the right trip for you.

With price I was referring to the air/cruise. An inside Alaska cabin is $1000 more than a Balcony Alaska...And the flight is $1000 pp opposed to $500 to Seattle. So it's a huge difference when it's all added together, esp since I'm having a hard time convincing myself anything is worth flying to, lol, we always drive to save money. Just me is different, but paying for 3 is tough. I have no idea what excursions we will do, but I just looked at prices and while high they are what I'd expect. Excursions always seem pricey to me, even in the Caribbean, so we usually tour on our own, but I know in Alaska I'd want to go all out. :)

My kids get out of school the 15th, so we'd fly to Seattle the 17th and catch the evening train and spend the night in Vancouver so we are a day ahead in case anything delays. At least, this is what I'm working out in my head w/o doing research yet.

Thanks for the tips and any others are appreciated!

I assume that you are the custodial parent but your ex-spouse is still around. Just to be safe although you probably will not need it, it can not hurt to also get authorization from your ex for the kids to get medical treatment if necessary.

DON

I would also like some insight from those who cruised w/o a balcony...Did you feel you missed out on anything?

In the past I've done interior and oceanview cabins to Alaska, with my thought being "get me on the ship". I've often suggested to people that if money is tight, save the money for shore excursions, so you get a better taste of Alaska.

This year I cruised to Alaska with a balcony (Thanks to an upsell). I was still out on public decks for most of my viewing time, strolling time, "being one with Alaska" time. For the price differential, to me a balcony just isn't worth it. Some posters will say that you need a balcony for scenic viewing, but in truth, IMHO, you need to be out on public decks so you can get a more panoramic view. JMHO and I am sure others will disagree.

Again, JMHO, if you can afford to go now, in a non-balcony cabin, do it. Life is uncertain :)

If there isn't a huge difference in price between an interior and an oceanview, consider an oceanview cabin so you can look out the window, and can have some natural light.

That is a great itinerary, and I was considering taking it.

I am also bringing my 2 children with me to AK this summer. I chose Royal Caribbean because it looked like the best balance of fun, itinerary, and cost. Normally I would say it's not worth the bother to fly into Seattle and train to Vancouver, but if the differential is $1500 then I would say absolutely. As long as the timing and other logistics work out I think it's a great idea. I could have saved a few hundred dollars doing that but it wasn't worth it to me - but for $1000+ yes.

I've only taken 1 cruise and had an interior room. we were 100% satisfied with that. We were ONLY in our room to change clothing and sleep so to spend the extra $ on a balcony would have been foolish for us. Also, I liked how dark the interior was because it was easier to sleep. remember in AK it's going to stay light out until VERY late.

don't know about the passport issue. I'm actually getting my kids passports because we are flying into Vancouver and also I think it's a good thing for them to have anyway.

You know your kids best, but I would think at 6 & 9, they would prefer Hawaii over Alaska. Kids that age are active, so sunshine, beaches and swimming would be lots of fun. Scenery and history, not so much. Maybe save Alaska for a few yrs when they're old enough to appreciate coastline and mountain scenery. Plus how much does it cost to go to the beach ? especially compared to Alaska excursions.

If you look thru the 2013 trip reports there aren't too many reports with kids but they will give you a good idea about what to expect, kids clubs, what was successful or not. Within the last day or 2, I posted ejsmom's blog on the 2014 Trip Report List. Her kids were 6 and 9. Check to see if she's gotten any further with the blog, and maybe ask her some specific questions.

As for document requirements, you need to check with your cruiseline, the Canada govt and the US govt. They each may have different requirements and you need to comply with all of them. This forum is not the best resource for such matters ( or you may find yourself sitting at the dock :o).

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ifvc-rpvc-eng.html

Also, has anyone taken the train the morning of the cruise and experienced a problem? Cancelled trip due to whatever, huge delay, etc...Should this be a concern if I can't take the evening train the day before?

Yes several times. This train starts in Seattle so the delays are not of any similarity to the long hauls. Amtrak would run the bus service, in the rare event of any train problem.

With price I was referring to the air/cruise. An inside Alaska cabin is $1000 more than a Balcony Alaska...And the flight is $1000 pp opposed to $500 to Seattle. So it's a huge difference when it's all added together, esp since I'm having a hard time convincing myself anything is worth flying to, lol, we always drive to save money. Just me is different, but paying for 3 is tough. I have no idea what excursions we will do, but I just looked at prices and while high they are what I'd expect. Excursions always seem pricey to me, even in the Caribbean, so we usually tour on our own, but I know in Alaska I'd want to go all out. :)

My kids get out of school the 15th, so we'd fly to Seattle the 17th and catch the evening train and spend the night in Vancouver so we are a day ahead in case anything delays. At least, this is what I'm working out in my head w/o doing research yet.

Thanks for the tips and any others are appreciated!

I always book the cheapest inside cabins, it isn't because of "budget" (have been on 8 cruises already this year, with boarding another on Monday), it's because I like full darkness and getting a good value. :) I do spend all my time outside viewing, going between sides of decks. I am just off the Miracle for 3 weeks and the lower outside decks- which I want, to be closer to the water for my wildlife priority were EMPTY- all the time. Even at the height of multiple humpbacks in close view in a scenic inside passage area.

They can be huge money savers.

You know your kids best, but I would think at 6 & 9, they would prefer Hawaii over Alaska. Kids that age are active, so sunshine, beaches and swimming would be lots of fun. Scenery and history, not so much. Maybe save Alaska for a few yrs when they're old enough to appreciate coastline and mountain scenery. Plus how much does it cost to go to the beach ? especially compared to Alaska excursions.

I travel to Alaska and Hawaii every year. Hawaii also has many short drive up touring options, that Alaska doesn't. Certainly 2 very different areas.

If you look thru the 2013 trip reports there aren't too many reports with kids but they will give you a good idea about what to expect, kids clubs, what was successful or not. Within the last day or 2, I posted ejsmom's blog on the 2014 Trip Report List. Her kids were 6 and 9. Check to see if she's gotten any further with the blog, and maybe ask her some specific questions.

As for document requirements, you need to check with your cruiseline, the Canada govt and the US govt. They each may have different requirements and you need to comply with all of them. This forum is not the best resource for such matters ( or you may find yourself sitting at the dock :o).

I'll have to see if I can find that blog. I honestly tried to convince my kids to sit this one out, lol, but they insists. They, thankfully, love cruising as much as I do. We went on the Carnival Dream in Feb and it was colder than we like and they didn't get to enjoy much swimming but were perfectly fine just playing in the room a lot of the time. Hawaii is just soo much more expensive for the cruise and the flight that I want them to be older so we can really experience it more and that they'll remember it. We also have done so many beach cruises and going to the beach in Aug that I want to experience the difference scenery...My daughter, she's just excited to fly. I just got approved for my first travel credit card today so hopefully this will help with future trips. However, if I won the lottery that I don't play, I'd cruise the Hawaii cruise right before this Alaska cruise b2b. :D

I travel to Alaska and Hawaii every year. Hawaii also has many short drive up touring options, that Alaska doesn't. Certainly 2 very different areas.

I'm jealous! If you have any tips on getting to Hawaii less then $1000 pp, I'd love to hear it! Unfortunately, the 15 day cruise out of LA isn't a good option due to work and school schedules.

I'll have to see if I can find that blog. I honestly tried to convince my kids to sit this one out, lol, but they insists.

The blog from ejsmom is in this link. Looks like there's an update so she's probably adding info as she has time:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2046395

Sounds like your kids are seasoned cruisers ! Have a good trip!