New annoying ads on Cruise Critic

CruisingJs

Starting today I have annoying ads in the right side of the screen when in Cruise Critic. They shrink the readable part of the screen so that it's quite narrow. This is on an iPad. Anyone else experiencing this? I don't like it at all!

I just got back from a short cruise yesterday and got back on CC to get caught up on things, when I discovered those horrible:eek:, annoying:eek:, distracting :eek: ads on the right side of the screen on my laptop.

Especially the ones that move and/or scroll, and/or have streaming letters. VERY DISTRACTING!! :eek: when one is reading and there's something moving in the periphery of one's sight.

And then there's the factor that posts no longer span the entire page! NOT NEARLY AS NICE! :eek:

PLEASE, Cruise Critic !

Get rid of them on the part of the page where we read and put them back at the top of the page, for the comfort and reading enjoyment of your frequent readers and fans.

Well, they've had a big thread running on the Carnival Board all day about it. At one point it was moved to the Community Guidelines and Message Board Forum Help board where this response was posted:

Hi!

We posted an announcement about this change to give you notice.

Someone mentioned writing to us and we said something like "too bad". No one who works here would ever say that.

Now, that said -- many of you have made excellent points in this thread. Yes, we have to pay the bills somehow. I will share with you that the RCI forum (Celeb and ACC too) have been this way for months; I'll say they got used to it, just like everyone gets used to ads on other fave pages).

Some good info on browsers, sizing etc are in this thread. Thanks to those of you who offer up assistance of this nature.

Laura

Laura

Sr. Manager Community

community@cruisecritic.com

Cruise Critic

So, basically, live with it.

The highlighted part in red above indicates that CC is basically telling us we have to "get used to it because this is what we are doing, whether you like it or not, or how disturbing or distracting you find it. Tough Toenails!!"

Most disappointing!! Apparently reader preferences and comfort level with using the site is of no importance to CC.

We're not asking CC to get rid of the ads, just simply put them back up on the top of the pages and leave our reading space like it used to be.

The highlighted part in red above indicates that CC is basically telling us we have to "get used to it because this is what we are doing, whether you like it or not, or how disturbing or distracting you find it. Tough Toenails!!

I read the Celebrity forum every day and after the ads showed up I tried to "get used to it", as CC claims everyone does. Never happened. I finally installed an ad blocker extension onto my browser. Problem solved - no more ads. A slight down side is that I still have an open space where the ads used to be, but THAT is something I did get used to. White open space is certainly a lot less distracting than flashing and moving ads.

Edited by boogs

I read the Celebrity forum every day and after the ads showed up I tried to "get used to it", as CC claims everyone does. Never happened. I finally installed an ad blocker extension onto my browser. Problem solved - no more ads. A slight down side is that I still have an open space where the ads used to be, but THAT is something I did get used to. White open space is certainly a lot less distracting than flashing and moving ads.

Completely agree with your statement (bolding is mine). I started using an adblocker almost immediately after Celebrity made the switchover.

Of course I noticed when the "white space" recently spread to all CC forum pages. But at least I don't have to see the ads.

Edited by cruisemom42

Completely agree with your statement (bolding is mine). I started using an adblocker almost immediately after Celebrity made the switchover.

Of course I noticed when the "white space" recently spread to all CC forum pages. But at least I don't have to see the ads.

I also turned off the signatures that many people put at the bottom of their posts. This resulted in an improvement almost as good as removing the ads. Now there is no wasted space at the bottom of posts either. Only the relevant information in the posts show on my pages now. For the rare times that I want to see their signature, I can easily look it up in their profile page.

Edited by boogs

I also turned off the signatures that many people put at the bottom of their posts. This resulted in an improvement almost as good as removing the ads. Now there is no wasted space at the bottom of posts either. Only the relevant information in the posts show on my pages now. For the rare times that I want to see their signature, I can easily look it up in their profile page.
I second this! I turned off signatures years ago when someone on the HAL forum had 3 screens worth of signature. :eek: That was on my desktop. I'd hate to imagine scrolling through that on an iPad. In the years since I've probably checked on someone's signature less than a dozen times. As you said, it is very easy to do. I've just not found reasons to care about looking. ;)

If we are going to be stuck with these stupid ads on the right hand side of the screen, could you PLEASE at least only allow ones with no motion or moving parts/ scrolling letters/swimming fish, and the like? The movement part of it is what is so distracting when one is reading what fellow poster have written.