New annoying ads on Cruise Critic

CruisingJs

While I also understand that CC needs to survive . I cannot tolerate the blinking /moving ads. It is not that it is annoying it is just something I cannot deal with, I just sign off the site using those.

I would be very sad if I could not use CC.:(

I get the resizing, but it really makes the type quite large which is difficult also. And, if I resize, ALL the places I go to on my computer are resized larger, and then I have to resize back down.

It's really just a pain.

Life can be difficult at times!

The cruise lines are not doing this to increase profits as mentioned earlier. The ads are how CC pay to keep the site up and running....bandwidth, servers, someone to maintain those servers, etc.

As mentioned earlier, the ipad app has few ads.....1 horizontal add after the 1st thread after the stickys and 1 add before the last thread on the page.

If you are using IE...stop. It's poorly written and is not secure...even Homeland Security says don't use it because it's vulnerable...

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/04/homeland-security-warns-dont-use-internet-explorer.html

Download Firefox or Chrome

http://download.cnet.com/mozilla-firefox/

http://download.cnet.com/Google-Chrome/3000-2356_4-10881381.html

Install AdBlock to either browser and the Ads go away...not just here, on every page you visit.

http://adblock-chrome.en.softonic.com/

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

CC is going to use the ads that make them the most money to pay for their site....the ads that move bring attention, placing the ads on the side of the page ensures more viewing time. Don't ask for a pay subscription when there's a way to keep it free.....plus, by doing it the way listed above, all of your web pages become ad free

I use IE -- any suggestions?

Sorry, no I don't. I abandoned IE years ago and went to Google Chrome, which I found to be a superior web browser with the added benefit of it not being a favorite target for frequent hack attacks and viruses. I no longer have any idea what must be done to keep IE working adequately.

Edited by boogs

Starting today I have annoying ads in the right side of the screen when in Cruise Critic. They shrink the readable part of the screen so that it's quite narrow. This is on an iPad. Anyone else experiencing this? I don't like it at all!

What would you rather have? Ads or a pay per month site?

Or, you could start your own CC type site and pay for it out your pocket.

Like an above posted said, "they gotta' pay the bills somehow". Ya, I do find the ads minimally annoying, but I'd rather put up with them then maybe have to pay $20 a month to be on CC. And I wonder what the results would be if CC started a poll "would you pay $20 a month to be on CC if it were "ad free?"

Edited by marco

Like an above posted said, "they gotta' pay the bills somehow". Ya, I do find the ads minimally annoying, but I'd rather put up with them then maybe have to pay $20 a month to be on CC. And I wonder what the results would be if CC started a poll "would you pay $20 a month to be on CC if it were "ad free?"

Where do you come up with $20 per month? I subscribe to several specialized websites like CruiseCirtic and the subscription fee for each is $30 or less for an annual subscription. I would pay that to not only eliminate the ads, but to also discourage casual users from signing up with a "disposable" userID and immediately starting a thread that is clearly intended to cause turmoil. It would turn this board into a resource for more reliable information by and for the more serious of cruise fans. This is what happened to each of the websites that I visited that converted to a fee based service. The quality of the discussions improved dramatically when the "low-end" posters were priced out.

If you can afford to pay thousands of dollars for cruises, you can certainly afford a few dollars a year for quality discussion on cruise topics. Cruise Critic has over 21,000 members. If only 25% paid an annual fee of $30, they would earn over $150,000 annually to run the website.

Note: I use Google Chrome and have AdBlocker blocking all the ads, so I never see them. Even then I would still be willing to pay $30 annually for membership with the full confidence that the future discussions would be of higher quality because the members whose only reason for posting is to cause trouble would refuse to pay and would be gone.

I think what bothers me the most are the people who will put up with anything to get something for free. Like the saying goes, "you get what you pay for". I prefer to focus on quality products, not just things that are "free".

Edited by fortinweb

You guys are preaching to the choir. Those of us who frequent the RC and X boards have been dealing with this new ad format for months. Yes, we complained -- but, it didn't do any good. I love CC, so I just put up with it -- although it also drives my McAffee nuts, too. I just have to concentrate on ignoring the flashing ads -- just like I ignore some of the posts/topics here, too! :rolleyes:

For "fortineweb": $20 a month.....completely arbitrary, but the intent was: Would you pay (and if so, how much) to be add free or would you rather it be free and have to put up with the ads? As I don't subscribe to any specialized ""for pay" websites, I have no idea what the going rate is.

Edited by marco

For "fortineweb": $20 a month.....completely arbitrary, but the intent was: Would you pay (and if so, how much) to be add free or would you rather it be free and have to put up with the ads? As I don't subscribe to any specialized websites, so I have no idea what the going rate is.

See my answer in my post above.

Edited by fortinweb

Is anyone actually reading these ads? Anyone clicking them?

The advertisers paying for them must need to see return or why would they continue

to purchase the space if they are not providing them with revenue?

Is anyone actually reading these ads? Anyone clicking them?

The advertisers paying for them must need to see return or why would they continue

to purchase the space if they are not providing them with revenue?

Reading them, no. Accidentally clicked one yesterday. Can't stand them and won't be buying or using anything from any of those advertisers. :mad:

Reading them, no. Accidentally clicked one yesterday. Can't stand them and won't be buying or using anything from any of those advertisers. :mad:

Yeah, but now they have a cookie. You'll start seeing random emails from them. Ads for them will start popping up on other sites you visit… It's a nasty business.

Yeah, but now they have a cookie. You'll start seeing random emails from them. Ads for them will start popping up on other sites you visit… It's a nasty business.

Not sure what there is for IE, Safari, Chrome, etc., but Firefox has several good adblockers, cookie cleaners, etc. I use Ghostery, NoScript and Self-Destructing Cookies; the latter allows me to whitelist the places where I want to allow cookies and destroys the rest once you click away from the site or close your browser.

You guys are preaching to the choir. Those of us who frequent the RC and X boards have been dealing with this new ad format for months. Yes, we complained -- but, it didn't do any good...

LOL, exactly. :p

Laura posted an announcement about this - for those who didn't yet see it, it is at this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/announcement.php?f=114&a=376

LOL, exactly. :p

Laura posted an announcement about this - for those who didn't yet see it, it is at this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/announcement.php?f=114&a=376

I find it interesting that the original announcement for the upcoming change was only posted for 1 day prior to the change. Like that would get everyone's attention.

This new announcement is in reply to comments that have been posted on several boards the past couple of days. And, basically, says "we tested this format in other boards (with complaints) and have opted to implement the change anyway".

I can only say, when I was doing RCI research some time ago I did find that this new format was already in use there. I didn't return to the RCI board for that reason - I found the smaller space for the actual board content difficult to search through.

Edited by Shmoo here

I find it interesting that the original announcement for the upcoming change was only posted for 1 day prior to the change. Like that would get everyone's attention.

This new announcement is in reply to comments that have been posted on several boards the past couple of days. And, basically, says "we tested this format in other boards (with complaints) and have opted to implement the change anyway".

<snip>

They don't need our permission. :)

We come here for free.

They don't need our permission. :)

We come here for free.

^ Bottom line, that's it. We will deal with the ads, we'll get used to them (I did last year in the RCI forum), and we will continue to share advice and suggestions about our passion for cruising. And yes, all at no additional cost to us. I think we should remember that. :)