New annoying ads on Cruise Critic

CruisingJs

Don't know if this is possible, but maybe if they were on the left side? Wouldn't interfere with scrolling, for those on touch screens especially.

I'm on a 22" monitor so they don't bother me but I can see it would be difficult on an iPad or similar.

I'm another one the ads do not bother, really didn't notice them until they were pointed out!

However, I can understand that those with "pads" and smaller monitors would be put off by them, but since I have a 26" monitor they pose no problem for me.

This site is free, and they have to pay for it, just as they have to pay for their sister site, Trip Advisor.

This site is free, and they have to pay for it, just as they have to pay for their sister site, Trip Advisor.
Yet Trip Advisor's ads aren't as obtrusive and annoying as those on the CC. Somehow their ads don't affect one's ability to actually read the site. That is why TA will now be my go to place for information on the ports we'll visit. The ads on the CC just make seem (even more) tacky. :rolleyes:

I have this AdBlocker and all it does is make blank boxes where the ad would be. Everything is still moved over and smaller. Very annoying!

I returned to the old view by using Adblock with Adblock's Element Hiding Helper. Adblock blocked all the ads, I never saw one, but there was a small cruise fare search box to the hand of thread lists or forum posts that left a lot of white space (where the ads would have been) beneath. The element hider needed a few clicks to eliminate the elements involved in the offending search box. I am using Firefox on a MacBook.

https://adblockplus.org/en/elemhidehelper Sorry I am not technical enough to help with installation and use questions.

Edited by whogo
added link

Is anyone actually reading these ads? Anyone clicking them?

The advertisers paying for them must need to see return or why would they continue

to purchase the space if they are not providing them with revenue?

I noticed that the space in which we see the posts has narrowed, but I did not even realize it was for ads until this thread and other similar ones started showing up.

I thought it was some sort of a hopefully temporary glitch.

I returned to the old view by using Adblock with Adblock's Element Hiding Helper. Adblock blocked all the ads, I never saw one, but there was a small cruise fare search box to the hand of thread lists or forum posts that left a lot of white space (where the ads would have been) beneath. The element hider needed a few clicks to eliminate the elements involved in the offending search box. I am using Firefox on a MacBook.

Using AdBlock on Chrome I've also been able to get rid of that "check cruise fares" box (as well as all of the ads). But I can't seem to recover the right column, which is now just a big wasted/empty space.

Have you been able to recover the right column so that the screen looks exactly as it did before they messed with it?

Using AdBlock on Chrome I've also been able to get rid of that "check cruise fares" box (as well as all of the ads). But I can't seem to recover the right column, which is now just a big wasted/empty space.

Have you been able to recover the right column so that the screen looks exactly as it did before they messed with it?

Yes. The last element I removed was a single black horizontal line above the white space. See if you can find that or another element.

Actually, I'm starting to have a BIG problem with the fact that websites I go to all of a sudden are showing up on this site. I kind of resent that I'm being "followed" so closely. I feel like my privacy is being violated. I'm going to have to give this some thought whether I want to be tracked this much. As much as I love this website - I don't like that they are throwing ads in my face from a website I have visited.

Actually, I'm starting to have a BIG problem with the fact that websites I go to all of a sudden are showing up on this site. I kind of resent that I'm being "followed" so closely. I feel like my privacy is being violated. I'm going to have to give this some thought whether I want to be tracked this much. As much as I love this website - I don't like that they are throwing ads in my face from a website I have visited.

There are plenty of ways to stop your web browser "tracking" your history.

Method will depend on which browser your using - Google will tell you.

Yes. The last element I removed was a single black horizontal line above the white space. See if you can find that or another element.

Likewise, I've been able to get rid of that black line. But the right column itself still remains, now "all white," as a giant waste of space.

I'll tinker with it further to see if I can get the right column to disappear...

Likewise, I've been able to get rid of that black line. But the right column itself still remains, now "all white," as a giant waste of space.

I'll tinker with it further to see if I can get the right column to disappear...

As soon as I eliminated the last element the white space disappeared and the forums looked just like the forums of old. If you can not find another element to eliminate, I can't help you. Like I said, I'm not a techie.

I forgot to add:

I've got Adblock for Safari on my MacBook Pro. Got rid of all but that nasty cruise pricing ad. But, if you scroll all the way up to the very top, there IS that grey/black bar - hit the ad block icon, follow the instruction to get the block to white, and, voila, it's gone for good.

Now, I just have to figure out how to get the content back to full-screen. But, no ads and half a screen is better than all those ads!!!

Like an above posted said, "they gotta' pay the bills somehow". Ya, I do find the ads minimally annoying, but I'd rather put up with them then maybe have to pay $20 a month to be on CC. And I wonder what the results would be if CC started a poll "would you pay $20 a month to be on CC if it were "ad free?"

To me, limiting access to only paying members would greatly reduce the number of new or newer cruisers looking for information. Not too many would be will to sign up for $20/month just to ask a question, especially if they were not able to see the content first. Keeping access open with the option of paying to eliminate the ads is a valid approach. Personally, I wouldn't pay $1/month for this option much less $20.

I would much rather pay an annual fee of $30 or so for access to CruiseCritic than have to endure endless advertisements, especially those irritating in-your-face flashing or video ads with movement. I do this on several other forums, which do not subject it's members to the insult of useless and annoying ads. And yes, I do consider unwanted ads an insult, just like I consider spam in my email, junk mail in my mailbox, and scumbag telemarketers calling my phone lines an insult.

Besides, having people pay an annual membership fee would reduce, if not completely eliminate, much of the trolling that we all see on these boards. Those one time posters who start inflammatory threads and then disappear would have to pay the full annual fee for that one trouble making post.

Assuming that you agree most new posters are not bad people, how many do you think would cough up $30 just to ask a question. Without access, new posters can't really see how much value there is in CC, can't search for previously posted info, etc, etc. I don't think this is a good idea and I don't think CC would survive.

To me, limiting access to only paying members would greatly reduce the number of new or newer cruisers looking for information. Not too many would be will to sign up for $20/month just to ask a question, especially if they were not able to see the content first. Keeping access open with the option of paying to eliminate the ads is a valid approach. Personally, I wouldn't pay $1/month for this option much less $20.

Again, that false $20 per month assumption. I subscribe to five discussion groups much like this one. One has an ANNUAL fee of $30, the others are under $20 ANNUALLY. Please use a reasonable number when making your argument. Inflating the number is exaggeration for effect, and does nothing to foster a rational discussion.

Assuming that you agree most new posters are not bad people, how many do you think would cough up $30 just to ask a question. Without access, new posters can't really see how much value there is in CC, can't search for previously posted info, etc, etc. I don't think this is a good idea and I don't think CC would survive.

All the discussion groups I now subscribe to were at one time free services. The amount of daily traffic became too unwieldy, with much of the discussions being hijacked by posters who were not that serious, or had malicious intent by posting inflammatory or baiting posts - like we often see on these boards.

There certainly was a fear that the groups would die out from losing most of its members because no one wanted to pay, so you concerns were shared there as well. What actually happened, however, was that the quality of the discussions improved dramatically. The troublemakers and the casual "drive by" posters who had little to say and only clouded the discussions with needless "noise" went elsewhere to post their nonsense. People who actually cared about the purpose for those groups stayed on. And, as it turned out, most of these were the more knowledgeable of the old readers, so any questions or topics that were now being discussed were populated by people who knew what they were talking about.

There was one caveat, however. Anyone was allowed to "lurk" the groups without paying. They were still able to review the discussions for free to see if there was any value for them by joining. If they saw a benefit for them, we can assume that they would join for the relatively small annual fee - which, by the way, equates to less cost than purchasing two to three drinks on your next cruise.

Personally, I would prefer paying for a quality product than put up with mediocre discussions for free. I am seriously considering leaving CC due to the endless complaining, the vitriol towards others with differing opinions, and downright nastiness we have been seeing lately here. I find that the value has decreased since I first joined four years, which was a year or two after I began lurking. It is becoming too difficult to search through a thread to gain decent information due to all the negative and confrontational people now posting on a regular basis.

A shame to see such a valuable resource being diminished by people who, since it is a free service, have no monetary barrier from coming here to create discord.

Edited by boogs

Define nonsense?

If I were a 25 year old planning my honeymoon on a cruise, I might misinterpret you last post as something with a 'Get off my lawn' feel to it. That would be nonsense to me.

The point is, while this is, in my opinion, probably one of the best cruising message boards out there, a quick google search of 'travel message board' yielded a quick 68,000,000 finds. I read through message boards and click on news links, and if the site asks me to sign up for a free membership in order to read the article, I will go to google and search the headline.

This board knows the web. There is too much information out there. If they charge for a membership people would leave in masses.

I've been wondering if that was what has been happening to me.

Durn. That is more than a bit irritating.

The ads suck. A lot. Not in a good way.

Define nonsense?

If I were a 25 year old planning my honeymoon on a cruise, I might misinterpret you last post as something with a 'Get off my lawn' feel to it. That would be nonsense to me.

If that is how you interpreted my post, then by all means let me not disappoint you: "Get of my lawn". There, are you satisfied with yourself now? :D

I commend you on selectively choosing only that which you want to challenge from my post. Please completely ignore that I did mention that on every discussion group I subscribe to anyone can read every thread and all posts for free. All that knowledge, all that information, is always available to any 25 year old planning his honeymoon cruise. To post questions or to make comments, subscribing is required. In words you may understand better - if you want the information, it's completely free. If you want to contribute to that information, you must be a registered member.

Edited by boogs

If that is how you interpreted my post, then by all means let me not disappoint you: "Get of my lawn". There, are you satisfied with yourself now? :D

I commend you on selectively choosing only that which you want to challenge from my post. Please completely ignore that I did mention that on every discussion group I subscribe to anyone can read every thread and all posts for free. All that knowledge, all that information, is always available to any 25 year old planning his honeymoon cruise. To post questions or to make comments, subscribing is required. In words you may understand better - if you want the information, it's completely free. If you want to contribute to that information, you must be a registered member.

I must admit, your first line made me LOL....and I didn't take it that way, I was making a point.

I did read all you wrote. But you know as well as I do, you're only going to search so much until you finally want to just ask your question...and we both know the search on the bulk of message boards is average at best. Nobody will pay to ask a question. Nor will they wait long enough to see if a member asks it.

This is my second go round here in 10 years....cruise for my honeymoon and 10 year anniversary. I came to learn about what to expect on a new style of vacationing.....I learned I should bring a power strip and a bungee cord to hold my balcony door open the 1st time. This time I'm learning how to do it in Europe. I enjoy all of the opinions...the good reviews, the bad reviews and the nonsensical reviews.

I've yet to see the baiting and average message board troll here as I have on other boards. But, if it's like you say it is, I would rather see them tighten up the TOS and let the mods clean up the rif-raf then pay for a membership.

Again, that false $20 per month assumption. I subscribe to five discussion groups much like this one. One has an ANNUAL fee of $30, the others are under $20 ANNUALLY. Please use a reasonable number when making your argument. Inflating the number is exaggeration for effect, and does nothing to foster a rational discussion.

All the discussion groups I now subscribe to were at one time free services. The amount of daily traffic became too unwieldy, with much of the discussions being hijacked by posters who were not that serious, or had malicious intent by posting inflammatory or baiting posts - like we often see on these boards.

There certainly was a fear that the groups would die out from losing most of its members because no one wanted to pay, so you concerns were shared there as well. What actually happened, however, was that the quality of the discussions improved dramatically. The troublemakers and the casual "drive by" posters who had little to say and only clouded the discussions with needless "noise" went elsewhere to post their nonsense. People who actually cared about the purpose for those groups stayed on. And, as it turned out, most of these were the more knowledgeable of the old readers, so any questions or topics that were now being discussed were populated by people who knew what they were talking about.

There was one caveat, however. Anyone was allowed to "lurk" the groups without paying. They were still able to review the discussions for free to see if there was any value for them by joining. If they saw a benefit for them, we can assume that they would join for the relatively small annual fee - which, by the way, equates to less cost than purchasing two to three drinks on your next cruise.

Personally, I would prefer paying for a quality product than put up with mediocre discussions for free. I am seriously considering leaving CC due to the endless complaining, the vitriol towards others with differing opinions, and downright nastiness we have been seeing lately here. I find that the value has decreased since I first joined four years, which was a year or two after I began lurking. It is becoming too difficult to search through a thread to gain decent information due to all the negative and confrontational people now posting on a regular basis.

A shame to see such a valuable resource being diminished by people who, since it is a free service, have no monetary barrier from coming here to create discord.

My comment quoted the post about the $20/month and was in response to that. Though I continue to believe my point would still apply with a $30 annual fee. If access is closed, few new users would cough up a $30 annual fee just to access CC. About my second comment, appears you agree with me??? If non-contributors are allowed access to at least review the boards, then they will see the benefits and can make an informed decision about becoming contributors.

I agree with some of your complaints about CC, and have probably been guilty of some offenses in the past. Besides complaining and attacks, it is not unusual to see incorrect information being shared. I don't think that is intentional, but because some make assumptions that are not valid.

Edited by ldubs

Likewise, I subscribe to a couple of groups/services where the ANNUAL fee is $20 - $30.

Agreed.