Packing List for Warm Weather/Tropical Cruise

ducklite

To each his own.

I just got tired of DH griping about luggage. I've pared down DS non-medical and mine. So when DH gripes, I remind him that I'm not the one with all the big luggage. :)

I handle my own luckily. Nobody can complain :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that I am focused on carry on only packing, I am rethinking my entire wardrobe. For formal nights I know I can do separates, but at my height it is challenging to find formal wear that is long enough. I went to Dillards this week and hit the Eileen Fisher section. I have never bought her clothes before, but have heard good things about the quality. I tried on a pair of Eileen Fisher black, wide leg, faux wrap silk pants and fell in LOVE! The length was perfect, they looked fantastic on me, and OMG, they were so soft. And best of all they were on sale from $278 to $96! Of course I bought them and now they are part of my date night and cruise wardrobe.

Focusing on packing light has made me really think about the clothing I am buying. I now focus on quality pieces and make sure I have lots of neutrals with pops of colors. Thank you to all the "carry-on only" ladies for all of your guidance. You have helped me rethink everything. :D

Lisa

Edited by RedHeadTexan

Now that I am focused on carry on only packing, I am rethinking my entire wardrobe. For formal nights I know I can do separates, but at my height it is challenging to find formal wear that is long enough. I went to Dillards this week and hit the Eileen Fisher section. I have never bought her clothes before, but have heard good things about the quality. I tried on a pair of Eileen Fisher black, wide leg, faux wrap silk pants and fell in LOVE! The length was perfect, they looked fantastic on me, and OMG, they were so soft. And best of all they were on sale from $278 to $96! Of course I bought them and now they are part of my date night and cruise wardrobe.

Focusing on packing light has made me really think about the clothing I am buying. I now focus on quality pieces and make sure I have lots of neutrals with pops of colors. Thank you to all the "carry-on only" ladies for all of your guidance. You have helped me rethink everything. :D

Lisa

I'm so glad you found some nice pants that you like. It's always fun to find just the right thing you're looking for. Sounds like you scored big time. :D

I really wish I had a Dillard's nearby. When I lived in Orlando, I found awesome bargains on sale all of the time in there. Especially nice designer shoes and bags.

Congrats on the Eileen Fisher find! She has classy, functional and well-made clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can travel light or heavy! But if do try to plan all my outfits and that makes it easier. It's frustrating to come home with a bunch of stuff I haven't worn. Wait! I'm going with two teen boys! I can take the world and make them carry it and they will they are sweet boys!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 8 months later...

My crossbody held travel documents, jewelry, camera gear, iPad, chargers, my GPS (needed in LA), a couple paperbacks, and my makeup bag--which I pared down before I packed it.

What kind of crossbody do you use for travel? I've been looking at the Travelons as well as regular crossbodies, but haven't found the right combination of size, security and stylishness that I want. I can live with 2 of those 3 requirements but can't decide which I should give up. :)

Any tips on crossbodys for travel will be greatly appreciated.

Jacquie

What kind of crossbody do you use for travel? I've been looking at the Travelons as well as regular crossbodies, but haven't found the right combination of size, security and stylishness that I want. I can live with 2 of those 3 requirements but can't decide which I should give up. :)

Any tips on crossbodys for travel will be greatly appreciated.

Jacquie

I have two, and which I use depends on how much space I need. The first is a Kipling medium crossbody. It's not all that large, but big enough to hold a small umbrella, map, water bottle, camera, etc. It has a flap that velcros down, a top zip pocket under that, and then an inner zip pocket large enough for an iPhone and some cash.

I also have a TimBuk2 large messenger bag. This thing is deceivingly huge--I could go away for a week in it. It's big enough for a couple beach towels and a DSLR in a dry bag and a dry shirt or sweater and a couple water bottles and sun screen and more--but you wouldn't know it by looking at it. I used it last week as a camera bag and had a DSLR with a grip and three lenses plus a sweater in it with a ton of room to spare. It's super well made. It has a front flap that velcros and clips down, plus a ton of inside pockets. It would be very hard to pick pocket as they'd have to figure out which inner pocket valuable were in.

""Any tips on crossbodys for travel will be greatly appreciated.""

I am very happy with my EBags Piazza Day bag - which I bought after mentions on this board. It has thousands of favourable reviews; I find it not too big, but will fit my 8.4 tablet, 3-1-1 bag in centre, plus sufficient other/ hidden pockets , including under flap. End pockets for water bottle/mini umbrella. Excellent price.

I will shortly be doing 5 weeks solo through Europe ( including 13 day T/A cruise, 9 flights) carry on only, so every piece has to work hard.

I will be ticketed on Qantas, so that means 15lb limit main carry-on. but smaller tote allowed plus handbag. (They random weigh:eek:)

I know you're the kind of gal that wouldn't let something like losing the clothes ruin your good time
A good attitude makes such a difference!
I discovered that I owned absolutely no neutral shorts. Zip, zero, nada...they are all bright colors like hot pink or patterned.
For work, I have basic black, brown, tan pants ... but for my real-life clothes and summer clothes, I also lean towards bright colors (and some patterns). What does this have to do with packing light? Nothing! Say you've decided to bring a pair of pink shorts ... pack a matching white top and a matching pink/white print. You're set for two outfits, and then the shorts are dirty anyway -- why worry about whether they match everything in the whole suitcase?
I love the LL Bean cargo shorts! How long are they? I can't show too much thigh
And I'm the opposite! I like those shorts from a practical point of view -- they'd be great for going ashore, all those pockets! But at less than 5' tall, they're way too long for me. They'd come down past my knees, and I'd look like a squatty body.

LL Bean shorts are great though. Good quality, reasonable price if you get them on sale. I bought a super-cute pair at the end of the season last year -- orange with a fruit print. Yeah, I know, weird sounding, but they're going to get a ton of wear this summer!