Food on Disney Cruise Lines

It was actually kind of strange, as there was no seasoning in the chicken at all, not even salt and pepper before baking--which seemed to have been done skin off. Just strange and tasteless.

I've found this to be true of all the chicken onboard most lines. If it isn't prepared in a sauce or a barbeque, or whatever....just a chicken breast....there's almost no seasoning at all. Then I feel like I'm insulting the chef if I ask for salt and pepper.

This is common in institutional cooking. Especially with chicken its always easier to add seasoning after - many people seem to like their chicken very bland.

I've found this to be true of all the chicken onboard most lines. If it isn't prepared in a sauce or a barbeque, or whatever....just a chicken breast....there's almost no seasoning at all. Then I feel like I'm insulting the chef if I ask for salt and pepper.

This is common in institutional cooking. Especially with chicken its always easier to add seasoning after - many people seem to like their chicken very bland.

Which would have been fine, but no seasoning was offered--other than salt and pepper of course. I'm not picky, teriyaki sauce, some salsa, a honey mustard salad dressing even. Even McDonalds gives a choice of sauces with their chicken items... ;)

Edited by ducklite

Which would have been fine, but no seasoning was offered--other than salt and pepper of course. I'm not picky, teriyaki sauce, some salsa, a honey mustard salad dressing even. Even McDonalds gives a choice of sauces with their chicken items... ;)

My husband always asks for hot sauce. In some countries, it's funny what they come up with. The ships usually have it. I keep telling him he should just bring his own. :rolleyes:

My husband always asks for hot sauce. In some countries, it's funny what they come up with. The ships usually have it. I keep telling him he should just bring his own. :rolleyes:

Eh, not a fan of hot sauce as a "seasoning." I like a little kick in certain foods, but pouring hot sauce on chicken doesn't appeal.

I was just surprised that they didn't offer something like the items I mentioned earlier--all of which I would think would be readily available and already made.

Odd. Anytime I have asked for a commonly carried sauce or gravy, it was provided (never offered, only on request. I asked for honey mustard for one dish, forget what, and they had it. Okay, it was crappy Kraft style, but they had it.

Disney used to use Ken's Honey Mustard, and I had to wait forever to find it here in Arizona. It's really the only one I like. But I think they use something else now, and it's not as good.

I also don't like the change they made to the Cinderella's Slipper dessert. It used to be really yummy and now it's just blah.

For desserts, Disney sits at the bottom of the list for me. They're almost all pretty tasteless. Their chocolate lava cake is "okay" but not as good as Carnival's melted chocolate cake. But Palo's souffle can't be beat. It just isn't available anywhere else, unless you have some "pull".

Eh, not a fan of hot sauce as a "seasoning." I like a little kick in certain foods, but pouring hot sauce on chicken doesn't appeal.

I was just surprised that they didn't offer something like the items I mentioned earlier--all of which I would think would be readily available and already made.

It disgusts me, but he puts it on his eggs....and of course any Mexican food.

Was he in the military? That's pretty common among soldiers--they douse everything with hot sauce in order to mask the taste.

Funny story, when we were kids, my brother HATED peas. HATED them. My mom had a rule that you had to eat four teaspoons of vegetables every dinner. My brother used to pour gobs of mustard on them to mask the taste. Fortunately the very few vegetables I don't really care for aren't any that my mom used to serve with any regularity.

Was he in the military? That's pretty common among soldiers--they douse everything with hot sauce in order to mask the taste.

Funny story, when we were kids, my brother HATED peas. HATED them. My mom had a rule that you had to eat four teaspoons of vegetables every dinner. My brother used to pour gobs of mustard on them to mask the taste. Fortunately the very few vegetables I don't really care for aren't any that my mom used to serve with any regularity.

Marine. And yes, I'm sure you're right about that.

**SHUDDER** mustard on peas. I'd sooner just eat the peas.:)

Well, I'm in that camp. I like a little salsa or hot sauce with my eggs, Cholula being by current favorite when I can't find Trader Joe's chili sauce.

Well, I'm in that camp. I like a little salsa or hot sauce with my eggs, Cholula being by current favorite when I can't find Trader Joe's chili sauce.

Yep...Cholula. He'd do a nice hot salsa, too. It's interesting, because when we travel, Cholula is usually the hot sauce that odd places have, if they have any.

He loved trying all the different hot sauces in Jamaica.

The desserts are SO dependent on the head pastry chef.. Desserts on the Magic were very well prepared. Same desserts on the Dream? Bleh.

Disney used to use Ken's Honey Mustard, and I had to wait forever to find it here in Arizona. It's really the only one I like. But I think they use something else now, and it's not as good.

I also don't like the change they made to the Cinderella's Slipper dessert. It used to be really yummy and now it's just blah.

For desserts, Disney sits at the bottom of the list for me. They're almost all pretty tasteless. Their chocolate lava cake is "okay" but not as good as Carnival's melted chocolate cake. But Palo's souffle can't be beat. It just isn't available anywhere else, unless you have some "pull".

Hot sauce belongs on everything! If I must choke down scrambled eggs (even if I cook them myself and I'm a good cook), they must be doused with Tabasco. Pizza gets dipped in El Yucateco habanero sauce. Huy Fong chili garlic is perfect for stir fry and of course their sriracha goes on everything, according to my 15 year old DS. Cholula? Sure! But please no Texas Pete, that stuff is gross.

No, I don't really put it on everything but sometimes it's a must. I'm from TX, I like things spicy. Speaking of Carnival's food, if you like hot sauce get on one of their new ships with the Blue Iguana Cantina. The salsa bar is great!

http://www.carnival.com/onboard/cruise-food/blueiguana-cantina.aspx

Is there shrimp cocktail? It's become my "tradition" (on all two cruises I've been on :D) to have shrimp cocktail every night. I don't know why, maybe because I love it but never want to pay $10-15 for 5 shrimp in a regular restaurant. :o

Hot sauce belongs on everything! If I must choke down scrambled eggs (even if I cook them myself and I'm a good cook), they must be doused with Tabasco. Pizza gets dipped in El Yucateco habanero sauce. Huy Fong chili garlic is perfect for stir fry and of course their sriracha goes on everything, according to my 15 year old DS. Cholula? Sure! But please no Texas Pete, that stuff is gross.

No, I don't really put it on everything but sometimes it's a must. I'm from TX, I like things spicy. Speaking of Carnival's food, if you like hot sauce get on one of their new ships with the Blue Iguana Cantina. The salsa bar is great!

http://www.carnival.com/onboard/cruise-food/blueiguana-cantina.aspx

He was born and raised in Arizona, so he likes all the hot stuff. I'm a "boring" midwesterner originally (Nebraska) so I'm more just meat and potatoes. :)

Is there shrimp cocktail? It's become my "tradition" (on all two cruises I've been on :D) to have shrimp cocktail every night. I don't know why, maybe because I love it but never want to pay $10-15 for 5 shrimp in a regular restaurant. :o

In the main dining rooms....no...I don't think so, unless it's a new offering. It might be available somewhere else onboard. I know they have peeled shrimp and cocktail sauce at the buffet for lunch.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.

I definitely remember having shrimp cocktail on DCL, not sure if it was at dinner or the peel and eat at lunch though. For sure had it at least once in Palo as well, not sure if it was brunch or dinner.

I know it's offered one night but I don't remember if it's on the 4 night cruise or on the 7 night cruise. Shrimp cocktail is not on the "everyday" listing like it is on Carnival, Royal and Celebrity.

I definitely remember having shrimp cocktail on DCL, not sure if it was at dinner or the peel and eat at lunch though. For sure had it at least once in Palo as well, not sure if it was brunch or dinner.

Definitely LOTS of shrimp at brunch in Palo. I didn't notice it at dinner...could have been.

He was born and raised in Arizona, so he likes all the hot stuff. I'm a "boring" midwesterner originally (Nebraska) so I'm more just meat and potatoes. :)

I was wondering how you lived in Arizona and didn't like spicy food. I guess that midwestern thing explains it! :D