Food on Disney Cruise Lines

I have had a few pretty bad meals on DCL--lunch in the buffet and Enchanted Garden come to mind. One dinner in the MDR on the Magic just wasn't so good, I can't even remember why, but I do remember that one really disappointing meal.

That said, over all the food we encountered was good to great, with Remy being world-class.

Edited by ducklite

I have had a few pretty bad meals on DCL--lunch in the buffet and Enchanted Garden come to mind. One dinner in the MDR on the Magic just wasn't so good, I can't even remember why, but I do remember that one really disappointing meal.

That said, over all the food we encountered was good to great, with Remy being world-class.

Fair summary, good to great, did you complain to the head server shout the dinner on the Magic? Did they sort it out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only factor you can control when it comes to food on a ship is looking at the style and menu items before you cruise and seeing how they compare with your preferences.

There are so many variables involved in preparing meals, especially of that quantity, that there is absolutely no way to predict the quality of a meal on any given cruise. The same item that may have been perfect on cruise 1 could be abysmal on cruise 2 because the ingredients came from a different source. Or the pastry chef took a week off or changed. Or your server hasn't gotten the hang of it yet, or its a new EC and the kitchen is adjusting, etc.

If you go on any cruise, Disney or other, understand you are dealing with a kitchen that makes over 20,000 meals a day throughout the various venues, and you'll be fine. You won't starve.

Fair summary, good to great, did you complain to the head server shout the dinner on the Magic? Did they sort it out?

It was one meal, nothing to do with service. I wasn't going to waste the time complaining. I don't complain about a single incident unless it's major or a safety issue. The more a person complains about minor things the less seriously they are going to take major complaints--Chicken Little Syndrome. Food for thought.

The only factor you can control when it comes to food on a ship is looking at the style and menu items before you cruise and seeing how they compare with your preferences.

There are so many variables involved in preparing meals, especially of that quantity, that there is absolutely no way to predict the quality of a meal on any given cruise. The same item that may have been perfect on cruise 1 could be abysmal on cruise 2 because the ingredients came from a different source. Or the pastry chef took a week off or changed. Or your server hasn't gotten the hang of it yet, or its a new EC and the kitchen is adjusting, etc.

If you go on any cruise, Disney or other, understand you are dealing with a kitchen that makes over 20,000 meals a day throughout the various venues, and you'll be fine. You won't starve.

It's one of the reasons we've decided no more cruising in large ships. When the kitchen services under 5000 meals a week, the care in preparation shows.

It was one meal, nothing to do with service. I wasn't going to waste the time complaining. I don't complain about a single incident unless it's major or a safety issue. The more a person complains about minor things the less seriously they are going to take major complaints--Chicken Little Syndrome. Food for thought.

I recall one meal on a Panama cruise for 15 nights part of our order was served cold I think it was a double baked potato, we mentioned it, a replacement came, then from the night night our food all came red hot, and head server checked on us every delivery if it was ok,

So worth mentioning in, so it was excellent all the time. I can't see anyone going a whole cruise with poor food as they will correct it.

( PS not in a suite that cruise).

Also on RCI I had a personal reception with the officers there as part of concierge they knew I sailed DCL and the food and beverage manager insisted I told him how they compared, I didn't want to offend him but he kept insisting, I told him their coffee was the worst I gave had, ( My actual words were far stronger to describe it but can't post here) and I said they can't do desserts correctly bar Windjammer.

From then on I got there upscale coffee from the paid places in the MDR for free, and upgraded desserts from Windjammer with my MDR meals, pays to complain.

I recall one meal on a Panama cruise for 15 nights part of our order was served cold I think it was a double baked potato, we mentioned it, a replacement came, then from the night night our food all came red hot, and head server checked on us every delivery if it was ok,

So worth mentioning in, so it was excellent all the time. I can't see anyone going a whole cruise with poor food as they will correct it.

( PS not in a suite that cruise).

Also on RCI I had a personal reception with the officers there as part of concierge they knew I sailed DCL and the food and beverage manager insisted I told him how they compared, I didn't want to offend him but he kept insisting, I told him their coffee was the worst I gave had, ( My actual words were far stronger to describe it but can't post here) and I said they can't do desserts correctly bar Windjammer.

From then on I got there upscale coffee from the paid places in the MDR for free, and upgraded desserts from Windjammer with my MDR meals, pays to complain.

Maybe you misread. One meal was not so good. It had nothing to do with temperature or service, it just wasn't very good. I don't think it is warranted to complain because one meal wasn't to my liking. It seems like you enjoy complaining in order to get special treatment. I prefer to overlook the small stuff and complain when there really is something to complain about.

Did you go around on RCI telling everyone you stayed in suites on DCL? Seems rather presumptuous and nothing I would share, as it has zero affect on my RCI cruise. Or did you just need to brag about it to make yourself feel important? I have also sailed in suites in both, but didn't feel the need to mention it to the respective concierge. Frankly I have a feeling that they cared a lot less than you seem to think they did.

If my potato was cold I would ask the server for a hot one. I wouldn't make a freaking international incident of it. :rolleyes:

Edited by ducklite

Maybe you misread.

No!

One meal was not so good. It had nothing to do with temperature or service, it just wasn't very good. I don't think it is warranted to complain because one meal wasn't to my liking. It seems like you enjoy complaining in order to get special treatment.

That is a " massive" assumption (1) there, so let's go over what I posted.

" One" meal, one baked potatoes was cold, 11 DCL cruises! - so I like getting special treatment???

I prefer to overlook the small stuff and complain when there really is something to complain about.

Did you go around on RCI telling everyone you stayed in suites on DCL?

Assumption (2) answer, No!

Seems rather presumptuous and nothing I would share, as it has zero affect on my RCI cruise.

Presumptuous is your position and allegations on me here! Your answer is to tattily disproportionate in a nice conversation full of assumptions and innuendo.

Or did you just need to brag about it to make yourself feel important?

Well your on top form tonight just keep putting the boot in why font you! Answer No!

I have also sailed in suites in both, but didn't feel the need to mention it to the respective concierge. Frankly I have a feeling that they cared a lot less than you seem to think they did.

I mentioned the concierge only to show it wasn't special treatment but good DCL service.

If my potato was cold I would ask the server for a hot one. I wouldn't make a freaking international incident of it. :rolleyes:

Ok so a freakin international incident is it..? Platinum cruiser and ONE issue in all those cruises.

I think you shouldn't sit on the fence so much and just come out and say what your thinking. It's totally wrong buy you are entitled to your mistaken view.

How is the food on Disney? I normally go on carnival but next year for my birthday I want to do a 3 day on the Disney Dream. Carnival's food is very good so I was wondering if Disney was going to be good as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have only sailed DCL however I have always been very impressed with the Dining options! Ask the waitstaff for their requests because they generally know the best options :)

I understand what you are saying about sending food back that you don't like for one reason or another.

But to be honest, I found so many things that weren't good, it would have made everyone at the table uncomfortable. One couple who dined with us did send quite a bit back and it made for a tense meal. When eating at the buffet it is no problem. You dump it and get something else. But in the MDR, ugh, seems like a lot of trouble to go through to get decent food. Eating at Goofy's prior to dinner made it better for me (and my table-mates).

Some of the foods, to me, is a mystery how they could serve it. They should taste it before they send it out! (I'm talking trays of food, not individual plates).

I understand what you are saying about sending food back that you don't like for one reason or another.

But to be honest, I found so many things that weren't good, it would have made everyone at the table uncomfortable. One couple who dined with us did send quite a bit back and it made for a tense meal. When eating at the buffet it is no problem. You dump it and get something else. But in the MDR, ugh, seems like a lot of trouble to go through to get decent food. Eating at Goofy's prior to dinner made it better for me (and my table-mates).

Some of the foods, to me, is a mystery how they could serve it. They should taste it before they send it out! (I'm talking trays of food, not individual plates).

Do you mind me asking what was wrong with the food you were served?

i.e was it over seasoned, poor quality, too salty, bland, not to your taste?

Obviously the chefs are not American, maybe a few Head Chefs, and as taste for food vary across the states massively, was it just not prepared the way you usually have it, or just low quality mass produced?

ex techie

Obviously the chefs are not American, maybe a few Head Chefs, and as taste for food vary across the states massively, was it just not prepared the way you usually have it, or just low quality mass produced?

ex techie

Not Muushka, but in my case it was very overcooked rice (mushy) and the blandest chicken--they might as well have just boiled it.

Not Muushka, but in my case it was very overcooked rice (mushy) and the blandest chicken--they might as well have just boiled it.

It's a shame they cannot have a gas grille for meat.

But that is no excuse for over cooking or under seasoning.

And as for rice, that is inexcusable given the amount of it served to crew everyday, and the ethnicity of a lot of the chefs.

Maybe the Head Chef in the crew mess got promoted to the guest restaurants!

Doesn't sound great I have to admit.

ex techie

As everyone has said - food is subjective - here's my two cents: I LOVED my Disney Fantasy cruise. However, the food was average, at best. I've had much better food on Princess, Cunard, etc. That didn't diminish the overall wonderful time my daughter and I had. Nobody went hungry. Disney cruises are unique and to see the smiles on kids' faces - priceless!!

This will be our 4th DC and I really think the food is just ok. The children's meals are not very appealing. One year, they served peas with every kids meal. Peas! Most adults don't like peas! On the next cruise, we ended up ordering special items for the kids; this worked well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

ex techie

Oh dear.

Pancakes and scrambled eggs were not hot or fresh

Omelets were cold and old, inedible. I tried a couple of mornings but gave up.

Eggs Benedict from the MDR were a major disappointment. The English muffin was so tough you could not cut it. And it was not hot.

Fish sandwich from Pinnochio's was not edible

Hamburger from the MDR was a hard, over cooked, not very tasty burger

Seafood over pasta with red sauce...the red sauce was like tomato soup. I had it on Fantasy and knew better for this cruise. So I ordered it for just the seafood, no sauce or pasta. Of course it came swimming in tomato soup.

Tomato soup from room service. I figured it would be pretty good since they serve it over the pasta. Wrong! The tomato soup from room service tasted more like a marinara! I can't win!

Waffles, frozen (not Mickey head)? Really? And sat in tray so long they were hard on 1 side.

Lobster tails, chewy, not very good. But to be fair, I have never enjoyed them on any cruise.

Pizza, just didn't taste very good

And each and every time I asked for steak, they told me not to order it unless I ordered it

medium rare. Ugh. So no steak on this cruise!

These are the things I remembered disliking. But for the most part, the other things were just not memorable. Not wonderful, not horrible.

And now to be fair and balanced!

Mac and Cheese husband loved

Salad from kid's menu husband loved this too

many of the lunch items from Beach Blanket were very good.

Israeli couscous to die for and BBQ one day, wonderful

Mickey Bars

Soft serve banana custard

Chocolate croissants

Rolls at the dinner table were good

Room service BLT was very good as were the Buffalo wings

Everything at Palo

Everything at Goofy's

We were on this cruise for 15 nights. That is a lot of time to evaluate meals!

And I can't remember everything, but those were the highlights and the lowlights.

So you can see it really wasn't a seasoning problem. Poor quality for a few items, not paying attention to how long food is being held was another problem. And some foods, regardless how fresh it was, just plain didn't taste very good.

I remember our first Disney cruise 3/2004. Everyone raved about the lobsterburgers. They were the best. Be sure to get a lobsterburger! So I get to Castaway Cay and taste the famous lobsterburger. It was not good at all! And then more and more people were admitting that they didn't care for the lobsterburger.

Had there not been so much hype, the disappointment would not have been as bad.

So I try not to hype the food on a cruise so that people don't have unrealistic expectations.

Just a side note, nothing important...but I was reading through the rest of the comments after I had posted and I'm curious....the OP has been on Carnival before, and wondered how the food on Disney compared to that.....SO....how did so many people end up talking about the food on Royal Caribbean??:confused:

Just curious.

It's a shame they cannot have a gas grille for meat.

But that is no excuse for over cooking or under seasoning.

And as for rice, that is inexcusable given the amount of it served to crew everyday, and the ethnicity of a lot of the chefs.

Maybe the Head Chef in the crew mess got promoted to the guest restaurants!

Doesn't sound great I have to admit.

ex techie

It was actually kind of strange, as there was no seasoning in the chicken at all, not even salt and pepper before baking--which seemed to have been done skin off. Just strange and tasteless.

I agree about the gas grill. It's something we really enjoyed about Windstar. At lunch almost every day they have a outdoor cooking area near the pool with a gas grill. They offer full table service, and you can order grilled chicken and hamburgers (not frozen patties, but hand made burgers) cooked to order. They also have a deck party once a week with grilled foods and more. Granted they are serving fewer people, but I'm sure DCL could figure a way to make it work in their ships as well.

It's a safety issue. The more people you serve, the large the grill surface you need to be practical, which increases fire protection needs and risks as well as the amount of flammable gas you need to store. It's one of those doable but not necessarily practical things.

It was actually kind of strange, as there was no seasoning in the chicken at all, not even salt and pepper before baking--which seemed to have been done skin off. Just strange and tasteless.

I agree about the gas grill. It's something we really enjoyed about Windstar. At lunch almost every day they have a outdoor cooking area near the pool with a gas grill. They offer full table service, and you can order grilled chicken and hamburgers (not frozen patties, but hand made burgers) cooked to order. They also have a deck party once a week with grilled foods and more. Granted they are serving fewer people, but I'm sure DCL could figure a way to make it work in their ships as well.

It's a safety issue. The more people you serve, the large the grill surface you need to be practical, which increases fire protection needs and risks as well as the amount of flammable gas you need to store. It's one of those doable but not necessarily practical things.

They set up grills for steak on our recent Panama Canal cruise. DCL.

Oh dear.

Pancakes and scrambled eggs were not hot or fresh

Omelets were cold and old, inedible. I tried a couple of mornings but gave up.

Eggs Benedict from the MDR were a major disappointment. The English muffin was so tough you could not cut it. And it was not hot.

Fish sandwich from Pinnochio's was not edible

Hamburger from the MDR was a hard, over cooked, not very tasty burger

Seafood over pasta with red sauce...the red sauce was like tomato soup. I had it on Fantasy and knew better for this cruise. So I ordered it for just the seafood, no sauce or pasta. Of course it came swimming in tomato soup.

Tomato soup from room service. I figured it would be pretty good since they serve it over the pasta. Wrong! The tomato soup from room service tasted more like a marinara! I can't win!

Waffles, frozen (not Mickey head)? Really? And sat in tray so long they were hard on 1 side.

Lobster tails, chewy, not very good. But to be fair, I have never enjoyed them on any cruise.

Pizza, just didn't taste very good

And each and every time I asked for steak, they told me not to order it unless I ordered it

medium rare. Ugh. So no steak on this cruise!

These are the things I remembered disliking. But for the most part, the other things were just not memorable. Not wonderful, not horrible.

And now to be fair and balanced!

Mac and Cheese husband loved

Salad from kid's menu husband loved this too

many of the lunch items from Beach Blanket were very good.

Israeli couscous to die for and BBQ one day, wonderful

Mickey Bars

Soft serve banana custard

Chocolate croissants

Rolls at the dinner table were good

Room service BLT was very good as were the Buffalo wings

Everything at Palo

Everything at Goofy's

We were on this cruise for 15 nights. That is a lot of time to evaluate meals!

And I can't remember everything, but those were the highlights and the lowlights.

So you can see it really wasn't a seasoning problem. Poor quality for a few items, not paying attention to how long food is being held was another problem. And some foods, regardless how fresh it was, just plain didn't taste very good.

I remember our first Disney cruise 3/2004. Everyone raved about the lobsterburgers. They were the best. Be sure to get a lobsterburger! So I get to Castaway Cay and taste the famous lobsterburger. It was not good at all! And then more and more people were admitting that they didn't care for the lobsterburger.

Had there not been so much hype, the disappointment would not have been as bad.

So I try not to hype the food on a cruise so that people don't have unrealistic expectations.

Oh wow!!!

Firstly thank you for your honest opinion, positive and negative!

I can understand frozen food on a 15 night voyage as DCL only pick up supplies in US ports when sailing from and to them, (obviously when in Europe they get resupplied there before anyone say's anything ;) ), but it does sound like you had poorly prep'd and low grade food.

I hope when I can finally afford my cruise I won't end up in the quick service outlets every night after my MDR meal!

ex techie

Agreed! The Pyrotechnics are enough of a large headache to deal with without the additional gas to supply the MDR galleys, deck restaurant, and the Quick Service outlets!

ex techie

They set up grills for steak on our recent Panama Canal cruise. DCL.

It would take a huge supply for all of the MDR galleys and Cabana's, Palo, Remy, Quick Service outlets to all have a gas supply so massive storage tanks, additional fire suppression systems fitted, etc for them all to have it.

A BBQ set up on deck occasionally that will have Fire Marshals, fire fighting equipment etc is possible for special occasions. Costly, but achievable!

At the end of the day, just like when DCL reintroduced fireworks after the accident they had when one landed back on deck pre 2001? they have to get approval from the insurers, Lloyds List for all flammable gas and liquid, pyrotechnics that they carry for not only the shows in WDT, but for welding operations during routine maintenance, along with approved controlled access storage spaces for them.

A few propane tanks for a BBQ would have meant a very large amount of paperwork, cost and regulation and monitoring by staff on board.

But I hope the BBQ was amazing and they must have deemed it worth it!

ex techie

I could see it as a special treat for the PC runs as they only do 2 of them a year or so.

It would take a huge supply for all of the MDR galleys and Cabana's, Palo, Remy, Quick Service outlets to all have a gas supply so massive storage tanks, additional fire suppression systems fitted, etc for them all to have it.

A BBQ set up on deck occasionally that will have Fire Marshals, fire fighting equipment etc is possible for special occasions. Costly, but achievable!

At the end of the day, just like when DCL reintroduced fireworks after the accident they had when one landed back on deck pre 2001? they have to get approval from the insurers, Lloyds List for all flammable gas and liquid, pyrotechnics that they carry for not only the shows in WDT, but for welding operations during routine maintenance, along with approved controlled access storage spaces for them.

A few propane tanks for a BBQ would have meant a very large amount of paperwork, cost and regulation and monitoring by staff on board.

But I hope the BBQ was amazing and they must have deemed it worth it!

ex techie