Visiting a catacomb in Rome

Pearl64

We are visiting Rome in October of this year. My husband wants to visit a catacomb. We are signed up for the Scavi tour the day we arrive, but were thinking on the next full day we have of seeing a catacomb. I know we will see similar items on our tour, correct? We are staying at a b and b on the Piazza del Risorgimento. I have Rick Steves' book but I am still confused on how to do this. RS has a couple of walking tours--one that is at night. I know there are many catacombs in Rome so am not sure which one would be best. We are planning on just wandering around Rome on our second day as we were in Rome last November and did the Vatican, Pantheon, outside of the Coliseum. We wanted to have a different experience in Rome like enjoying a nice dinner and enjoying the people more. I have our transfers figured out to get from the airport and to the port. So, question 1 is which catacomb, question 2 is how to get there from the Piazza del Risorgimento, and question 3 is how much time will this take? Question 4 is what is within walking distance from our b and b?

Thank you so much. If you have other suggestions, we would be happy to hear them.

Pearl

When people speak of the catacombs in Rome they are usually referring to those along Via Appia Antica; San Callisto, San Sebastiano, and Domitilla (largest). To be honest, they all kind of run together in my memory and I'd be hard pressed to come with a reason to recommend any one over the others.

You can read more about them here: http://www.catacombe.roma.it/en/index.php

Pay careful attention to closing days, that may push your decision in one direction or another.

To get to Via Appia Antica from Piazza di Risorgimento, walk to the Ottaviano metro station and take the train (direction Anagnina) for nine stops to San Giovanni.

There are several exits from this metro station - you want the southernmost exit, which lets you out onto Via Magna Gregia. Continue walking south along Via Magna Gregia for a half block to the Magna Gregia bus stop.

Take the 218 bus for 11 stops to FOSSE ARDEATINE. When you get off the bus you'll see signs for San Callisto, if you follow them through the park you'll find San Callisto and San Sebastiano easily.

Thank you, euro cruiser. I have read that it won't take that much time at the catacombs but how long are we talking just to get there?

Any other suggestions for 2 or 3 hours?

Pearl

I can't answer most of your questions but the catacomb we are planning to go to is not in the same area as the ones referred to by euro cruiser (granted, she has been to Rome while I have not...I just have info from a book). We are looking at the Catacombs of Priscilla. In general it is located somewhat near the Borghese Gallery. Rick Steves talks about it some in his books.

P.S. If anyone has comments on Catacombs of Priscilla vs. the others I'd be interested to hear about it. :)

Edited by LuvCats!