Need Downtown Boston Hotel Advice

Hi All! We are cruising on the Jewel in October and will be spending a post night stay in wonderful Boston. Some of you Beantowners already kindly gave me some good advice. Looking at rooms, rates are really pricey that second week in October, so I think we are going to be using points. Can choose between Marriott Long Wharf or Copley Square, or Hyatt Regency or Harborside. We have an early AM flight. Are all of these close to Logan and cruise terminal? Which is nicest? Thanks for any replies, and happy cruising to all.

Hyatt Harborside is a beautiful hotel right in Logan Airport with a shuttle to the terminals. Beautiful view of the harbor. If you have early flight can't do any better. Rooms are very expensive at that time in Boston because of the foliage as well as most of the many colleges here have parents weekends at this time.

The Hyatt is definitely the closer to the airport than the others you mentioned. Second would be the Marriott Long Wharf. The rest are all in the city, not near the airport. There is also Hilton right at Logan. If you were looking for a great hotel in the city , I would recommend the Marriott Copley Place. Boston hotels are always expensive. There are a few inexpensive hotels near the airport, but they are in Revere, not Boston.

Thanks Kaddy and Aprilfool. I want to have fun in the city the day we disembark, wander around that evening and have a nice meal, and hit the hay for an 8:45 flight. Boston isn't geographically big, but last time I was there sure was a hassle getting to Logan with the Big Dig and all. If we stayed city side would it take a long time to get to Logan in the AM? April, you must be so excited! I can't wait until 10/02. First time on Jewel for us, first time RCI, first ten day cruise. We have mainly cruised HAL and Celebrity. Hope you have a great time, and I appreciate your replies.

I've been lurking for the longest time, and I've finally decided to join. I figure answering a question whose answer I know best is probably the way to go with my first post..

So here goes my two cents, having accomodated my parents and friends over the last 4+ years while I was in college:

Copley Place is a great place to stay to see the back bay area of Boston, but probably is the most expensive of all places. Hyatt Harborside is a place I have personal experience with - my parents stayed there recently for my graduation - and it's a great place. It's very close to the airport terminals.

Another good hotel that's airport-adjacent and public transportation accessible is the Seaport Hotel in the harborfront. I happen to work at the adjoining WTC Boston and Seaport Hotel is a upscale place that'll probably be very comparable to the group of hotels you have been looking at. Further, it is right at the Boston end of the Ted Williams tunnel, which goes right to the Logan airport, making it very accessible from Logan - in fact, if the room is at a high enough floor, you'd probably have a stunning sight of Logan itself.

Staying in Cambridge isn't a bad idea, either, but be sure that it's public transportation accessible. Otherwise you're stuck across the river with no other means to get around other than a cab - which frankly isn't too nice in Boston. Avoid hotels in Somerville and Medford areas as that will be too far.

In Copley Square, there are several hotels of note: The Lenox, Copley Square Hotel, the Westin, and the Marriott. Any of the above will be considered upscale by Boston standards but you'll surely pay an arm and a leg for it. Due to Boston's old downtown, there are a very few hotels to be found in the actual downtown/Quincy Market/Govt Center area.

In the past I've had excellent luck with Hotwire hotels. If you go to www.betterbidding.com, you should have a real good idea as to what you may be getting in terms of hotels - it will most certainly be cheaper than booking through the regular channels.

At any rate, driving in Boston is not a good idea. From the airport, the newly built Silver Line serves all airport terminals with an underground bus service to South Station, where you may pick up the Red Line (the north/south line of the Boston area). That's preferred over the Blue Line which generally tends to be slow and more complicated.

I hope all this helps. Please let me know if you need additional info.

Are you familiar with the Harbourside in on State Street? Is that close to the port/black falcon cruise terminal? I would like to stay as close to the cruise terminal as possible but still have some access to shops and restuatants and be able to take in a little sightseeing. Never been to Boston before and thought the Harbourside would be the ideal location.

The Hyatt Regency is in Cambridge, which has a lot to offer, but as a previous poster mentioned is not as convenient for getting around without taking a cab. I would also recommend the Copley Marriott. Hope you have a wonderful cruise and enjoy your stay in Boston!!

Are you familiar with the Harbourside in on State Street? Is that close to the port/black falcon cruise terminal? I would like to stay as close to the cruise terminal as possible but still have some access to shops and restuatants and be able to take in a little sightseeing. Never been to Boston before and thought the Harbourside would be the ideal location.

Harbourside on State St. is right in the smack of downtown and is probably a 15 minute cab ride away without traffic. Seaport Hotel is hands down closest to the port, and is near some good restuarants in the area (mostly seafood) but is a 15-minute cab ride to a 20/30-minute subway ride to the downtown area.

Your choice. If your priority is to stay as close to the port as possible, I recommend the Seaport Hotel. Otherwise, the Harbourside on State St sounds fine location wise - I only know its physical location in Boston, not the amenities.

If you have enough Marriott or Hyatt points this would be a good time and place to use them. Marriott Long Wharf is within walking distance of Faneuil Hall, Quincy Market, and the Italian North End. It is also close to the downtown area where you might want to check out Filene's Basement for bargains. There is a Hyatt in downtown Boston near Filene's Basement, the Boston Common, Boston's financial district and South Station where the new MBTA Silver Line will take you to the airport. Marriott in Copley Square is in the Back Bay section of Boston and Newbury Street where many of the more exclusive shops are located. Any of these hotels would fit your requirements for sightseeing in downtown Boston and yet should not be difficult to get from any of them to the airport in the morning. Hyatt Harborside, as others have stated, is an excellent property located right at the airport. The only negative would be that because it is across the harbor from downtown, it is less conducive to dining and sightseeing in the downtown area. There is a water taxi that goes from the airport to downtown which you might enjoy. Love those frequent traveler points. We are using some in London this month and have done so previously at Marriotts and Hyatts and have been very satisfied.

Which Jewel cruise are you on. As you can see, we are sailing on her on October 22nd.

Thanks for all of your kind insight and replies. We are so looking forward to our first 10 day cruise, and want a nice stay afterwards. I think we are are going with the LongWharf Marriott, sounds optimally located for fun and convenience. You all are the most helpful, and hope your cruises are fun, beautiful and smooth sailing. Our first cruise was in 1993, October, to Bermuda, and the roughest seas ever. That was Celebrity from Virginia. Here we are going to Bermuda again in October. However, we have never had anything but lots of fun and happiness on a cruise.In 2 weeks we are sending our son off

to first year at UVA, Daughter junior at JMU, rising 8th grader who will have to stay with an Uncle Buck type for 11 days, but my husband insists, so thanks for all advice and I can't wait. Happy Cruising!

Archived