Aft balcony

angiem0217

Any thoughts on the aft view balcony? Currently booked in an oceanview but thinking about upgrading. Have a 7 year old, not sure if I want a balcony or not. Any suggestions??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any thoughts on the aft view balcony? Currently booked in an oceanview but thinking about upgrading. Have a 7 year old, not sure if I want a balcony or not. Any suggestions??

I'm a big fan of Aft balconies, once you had an Aft you'll never go back ;)

If you feel your 7 year old would climb over the rail and jump, stick to the oceanview.

Never had one myself, but the general consensus here is that they're better than fresh cinnimon rolls with icing and milk. The only negative thing I've ever heard about them is that they tend to get hotter than standard balconies, and most people seem to believe that the pros outweigh that one con.

i would never cruise without balcony.. claustrophobic.. but the AFT balconies... are the best, IMHO.... have 3 in August for alaska.. ( 2 wraps and a regular that connects to one wrap).. you may be surprised how much time you will spend out there...

I love the aft, but then again I love the sunshine and having a lounge chair. You won't find a lounge chair on any of the side balconies.

Also, I wouldn't worry about your 7 year old jumping over the railing, just don't leave her out there alone - there are locks too very high up on the balcony door as a double lock so she won't go out there! :eek:

I think it's an excellent choice, mainly because if your young DD wants to relax and watch TV or nap, you have someplace for yourself to go to relax and don't have to tiptoe around the cabin.

Besides, I love balconies just to have a nice quiet place to have morning room service breakfast while leaving your DD to continue sleeping if need be. It's also a great place to escape at the end of the evening if your DD goes to bed early.

Have a great cruise!

As an earlier poster stated, once you go aft you will never settle for anything else. That is the only "negative" I have on aft balconies. We try and get one every time we sail; by far our favorite cabins!

Thanks for all the answers. I think I am going to call and upgrade. There are 2 left in our ship. I am a little worried about my son but if there are locks that will keep him from going out by himself, that will make me feel a lot better.

I am in the minority....we had a AFT on a first cruise and we absolutely hated it and have not gotten one since!! We always book a balcony though!!

I guess I am in the minority also. I had the back wrap balcony on Splendor. There was absolutely no privacy and the man with the adjacent balcony was drunk every time I went out. He kept trying to jump over the railing to use my balcony. Never again. :mad:

I do always book a balcony though. I truly enjoy them (except for the aft). :)

Love the Carnival corner afts. They are the best! Just booked the Dream for 2016 and had to get myself another corner aft. Both my DH and I love the aft. We're deviating for our next cruise for a penthouse suite on the very front of the ship but after that it's back to aft.

I have an aft extended balcony booked for my upcoming cruise on The Legend 6/29, and I've very excited! Last cruise (and only cruise) was an Oceanview.

I have another cruise booked for 2015 with another aft extended, and I figure if I do not like it, I can change for the next one; however, all I have heard is that these cabins are fantastic. How do you get one of those corner aft cabins with the huge balconies? They look amazing. I have an autistic child that needs "breaks", and being able to lounge on my balcony while he watches TV for a bit is going to be wonderful for me.

We actually have our favorite aft coming up for our B2B: 8461 on the Splendor, with its overhang to keep the sun off and that phenomenal oversized balcony that can fit TWO lounge chairs! I guess you can count my wife and me as "aft snobs" as well.

Plus, there's one added benefit to the afts: being at the rear of the boat as you are means you have to do a lot of walking to get around. Great to keep the calories at bay as best you can, LOL!

They are nice and big but no privacy! The divider between the balconies is at rail height at the rail, kind of slopes down, very easy to turn your head and see into the neighbors cabin. But I think it would be great for your son. He will have more room to move around a bit outside, esp if you have a lot of sea days.

They are nice and big but no privacy! The divider between the balconies is at rail height at the rail, kind of slopes down, very easy to turn your head and see into the neighbors cabin. But I think it would be great for your son. He will have more room to move around a bit outside, esp if you have a lot of sea days.

Depends on the ship, the Ecstasy had full height dividers. I have been in other aft balcony cabins visiting friends and they had full dividers (can't recall what ships)

I am in the minority....we had a AFT on a first cruise and we absolutely hated it and have not gotten one since!! We always book a balcony though!!

I am in that minority as well! And contrary to what someone else said, you can get balcony cabins (not suites) that have lounge chairs on them. You just need to know where they areand book them.

Here I go again. I cruised on the Carnival Pride a few months ago with an aft extended balcony and did not like it. I did not like the churning of the sea (the wake). I much prefer a side balcony and the calm sea. When we started heading for home (last two days) after the last port, there was a lot of vibration because (I assume) the ship was going faster. We were not able to sit outside in a light rain because there is only a short cover over the balcony because of the back of the ship being slanted. Also, on one of our Bahamas port visits, the balcony got really hot because of the lack of cover and we had to go inside.

I just got off the Carnival Magic with a side balcony and loved having a side balcony again.