Men's Attire - packing help!

gem114

My boyfriend and I are going on our very first cruise at the beginning of July! I've already accepted that I'm going to use this as an excuse to buy new summer clothes and over-pack (we're not flying, so no weight limits!)

The problem is my boyfriend is super casual and would bring like two pairs of shorts and all t-shirts if I let him, but I don't want him to be under-dressed.

What's typical men's attire for during the day? for casual dinners? for "elegant" dinners? How many outfits do men usually bring for a 7-day cruise?

If anyone has a men's packing list, that would be amazing.

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Carnival generally is a little more casual. If you can talk him into taking at least a couple of nice shirts and maybe a tie, that will be fine. For Carnival I usually take a sports jacket and tie or maybe even a suit. But that's not really necessary. Of course long pants are best. A nice pair of Dockers or similar is fine. We kinda like to dress for dinner however more and more people are going more casual. Enjoy. And don't worry. He will be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

He said Dockers too when I said he'd need long pants. Would those be okay for the more "elegant" nights? Dockers and a button up, and I could get him to bring a tie. Not sure if I could get him to put on a full suit, especially given that we assume it'll be rather warm in the Bahamas.

Polos and shorts for casual dinners is what I'm imagining from Lulu's comment.

I think you'll be just fine with Dockers and casual shirt. Especially on a warm weather cruise. Don't worry. Tell him to take something that he would wear to a very nice dinner in a nice restaurant at home. He won't embarrass you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

It's true, Carnival is very, very casual. T-shirts and shorts for daytime and a collared shirt and Docker-type pants for "elegant" night. He does not need to wear a tie if he doesn't want to. You'll find that some guys do, but it's not a requirement. You'll see men dressed in everything from what I've mentioned, to men in sports jackets, suits, and even a couple of them might be in a tuxedo. It's whatever you want to wear...but most men...95% will be dressed as casual as possible.

If you want tips on what the ladies will be wearing...you'll see everything from capri pants and a nice top (that would be me :D), sundresses, maxi skirts (again maybe me), and slacks and tops for casual night. For "elegant" night you'll see the same thing but some ladies do go for it and will wear cocktail dresses (me sometimes) and long evening gowns. More women than men have a tendency to dress up more on "elegant" nights than men do.

I hope this helps. I hope you have an awesome cruise!:D

By-the-way...I've been on the Pride with my DH, DS, and SIL and we had a blast. I'll be happy to answer any questions about the Pride if you'd like.

Edited by mousey

Thanks so much! That's definitely helpful. I was planning on dresses and skirts for dinner, so I'm glad to have that confirmed too. :]

As for questions about the Pride... haha, I honestly have more questions than I can even imagine. This is our first cruise. Any tips would be helpful!

One of my favorite places to eat on the Pride at lunch on Sea Days was in the buffet at the sandwich bar. You can have them make up a sandwich for you any way you want it because they're fresh and made-to-order. Loved it! I also really liked the adult "Serenity" area on the Pride. It's big and had a place where you can sit next to the bar on comfy couches and club chairs. I loved tea time on Sea Days (around 4p). I enjoyed the wine and martini tastings. The adult comedy shows were funny. I also enjoyed the Piano Bar and dancing in the Atrium to a Salsa band. We had an awesome time on the Pride.:D And, I hope you do too.

If you come up with any specific questions, fire away and I'll do my best to answer them. There are some new things that we haven't experienced that I can't speak to...the new MDR menus and FTTF because they weren't available on our last cruise.

Shorts and/or swimsuits are the outfit of the day! On ALL cruiselines!!

I disagree. On luxury lines on all but French Polynesia/Fiji/Society Islands/etc. and Caribbean sailings you will never see bathing suits unless someone is actually at or on their way to the pool.

Edited by ducklite