Should Corpus Christi Become the Next Major Port?

talkorpi

Gosh, I've started a really speculative thread! I guess not a lot of South Texans have Cruise Critic ;).

The point is, I'm going to stick to my opinion and hopefully it will go through. Let's just hope and pray (for the few who agree with me) that they move the Triumph or Victory to CC.

By the way, I don't HATE Florida. I'm planning on studying naval architecture and getting a job with Carnival, NCL, or RC so I'm 99% sure I will probably end up moving there after college. I just think that they get more cruise attention then say New Orleans. I know that's because it's well established in the industry, but hey, I like exotic and less traveled ports (I'm already getting tired of Cozumel and I've only been once, going again in 9 days).

Thanks,

Tate

I am totally into cutting down on some business in South Florida, even if they moved a ship or two. But Corpus Christi would not be ideal.

The airport is small, and it's a spoke for the carriers. That would mean a layover, which take up more time and can be a little bit more expensive, especially for the people who cruise holidays. You can get a direct flight into MIA (Miami) , FLL (Fort Lauderdale) , IAH (Houston/Galveston) , BWI or IAD or DCA (Baltimore/ DC) , JFK or LGA or EWR (New York) from almost any airport, which is another reason why these ports boom. Especially like Baltimore and New York, they serve the most populous area in the country, the northeast. Corpus Christi may have population, but not enough to fill even Carnival's smallest ship.

Also, Carnival wouldn't move a newer ship to do 7 night cruises. They would start with short cruises, so you'd be lucky if you see even the Fantasy there.

Finally, if Carnival were to expand again (they just added the Freedom to Galveston) in the Gulf, it would most like be Mobile, which is all ready to go and had great business when it was going.

I appreciate the thoughts though, I love considering the future (:

It takes you 40 minutes to get from Boca to Port Everglades?

It depends on traffic, doesn't it? It once took me over 60 minutes to get from FLL airport to Boca due to the usual I95 accident / closure at Sample road.

Oh, where I live in Boca (huge spread out city) is near Town Center Mall / Glades road. I'm 10 minutes from I95.

It depends on traffic, doesn't it? It once took me over 60 minutes to get from FLL airport to Boca due to the usual I95 accident / closure at Sample road.

Oh, where I live in Boca (huge spread out city) is near Town Center Mall / Glades road. I'm 10 minutes from I95.

We are pretty close to you, albeit a little more East. We usually leave around 10:30 for Port Everglades and it has never taken us more than 20 minutes to get to the port.

This thread proves one thing. Everyone wants cruise options within close proximity to their home. Of course, someone who lives in Corpus Christi can make an argument for bringing a ship there. It's in their best interest to have one. A person from Baltimore thinks Baltimore &/or NYC is the area that could support more ships. Not exactly shocking. But wait... just think about at all the people who live in LA & Southern Cali in general. When a ship is relocated, it should go there. :p We live between Port Everglades & Port of Miami. I can think of many reasons why they shouldn't relocate any of the ships that home port here or send the best ships anywhere else. We have two heavily traveled airports, it's always warm, the itinerary options are limitless, etc. As a matter of fact, I think it's a mistake for so many lines to leave the Caribbean in the summer. :D OTOH, when we lived in Tampa, there were many reasons why Tampa was the most logical option for Gulf Coast cruises. In my mind anyway. ;) We all have opinions that are self serving. It's human nature. If nothing else, this thread is entertaining. lol

It will be a great idea to put a cruise in Corpus Christi, I live just 1 hour and 30 minutes away from Corpus in Laredo Texas... I don't think it will hurt Galveston in any kind of way, but maybe it can help them too look at Florida they have like 3 cities who are home of cruise ships.. South Texas is so populated like Laredo, and all Rio Grande Valley from Roma Texas to Brownsville talking about millions of people who will get more of a chance to cruise instead driving a 6 hour drive to Galveston...

Disney no longer sails out of Galveston, they left in March 2014

Really? You think that those towns in South and Central Texas could fill up a cruise ship every week? A lot of people fly and drive into Galveston from all over, including from other states, such as Oklahoma and Louisiana. I doubt it very seriously that they would be willing to fly or drive to Corpus when there are two different size ships in Galveston.

Besides, I'm sure Carnival has a computerized system that tells them where people come from. And I'll even bet that they can get their data by region. They would know how many people from South Texas actually cruise or if a ship in Corpus would be profitable and/or if It would hurt cruises from Galveston.

Really? You think that those towns in South and Central Texas could fill up a cruise ship every week? A lot of people fly and drive into Galveston from all over, including from other states, such as Oklahoma and Louisiana. I doubt it very seriously that they would be willing to fly or drive to Corpus when there are two different size ships in Galveston.

Besides, I'm sure Carnival has a computerized system that tells them where people come from. And I'll even bet that they can get their data by region. They would know how many people from South Texas actually cruise or if a ship in Corpus would be profitable and/or if It would hurt cruises from Galveston.

It all depends on the different variables. Where would the ship sail to? Same ports or different. I don't know which airlines fly there. If I have to fly to cruise, what difference (other than the number of stops or length of flight) does it make whether that flight is to Houston (70+ miles away from Galveston) ir into CC?

Especially like Baltimore and New York, they serve the most populous area in the country, the northeast. Corpus Christi may have population, but not enough to fill even Carnival's smallest ship.

Also, Carnival wouldn't move a newer ship to do 7 night cruises. They would start with short cruises, so you'd be lucky if you see even the Fantasy there.

Finally, if Carnival were to expand again (they just added the Freedom to Galveston) in the Gulf, it would most like be Mobile, which is all ready to go and had great business when it was going.

(:

For those that don't know, the Freedom is a Conquest class ship. Smaller than the Magic and a little larger than the Triumph. So they will have three different size ships, and various itineraries from Galveston on different days. Edited by oldvato

This thread proves one thing. Everyone wants cruise options within close proximity to their home.

True, but even then if you get a ship it doesn't help you for very long. Say they did move a ship the CC as the OP suggests. How many times are the locals going to want to sail that ship/itinerary before it's "Been there, done that" and you are looking to sail from another location for something different?

True, but even then if you get a ship it doesn't help you for very long. Say they did move a ship the CC as the OP suggests. How many times are the locals going to want to sail that ship/itinerary before it's "Been there, done that" and you are looking to sail from another location for something different?

But hat has been Carnival's model. Put ships within a 3 hour drive to attract new cruisers. It has been extremely successful for Galveston. Seeing that the Galveston port has limited space (one Carnival ship at a time....at least that is what I recall), this would give them another weekend home port in the area. What I don't know is whether CC would offer a different port radius for a 7 day cruise.

But hat has been Carnival's model. Put ships within a 3 hour drive to attract new cruisers. It has been extremely successful for Galveston. Seeing that the Galveston port has limited space (one Carnival ship at a time....at least that is what I recall), this would give them another weekend home port in the area. What I don't know is whether CC would offer a different port radius for a 7 day cruise.

There was talk not too long ago about them expanding the Galveston port to be able to berth more ships. Not sure what the final verdict was though.

Carnival ships don't always come in on the same day. When they get the three ships in, I'm sure they will work their schedules out . From what I was able to check out, the Freedom will run from Sat to Sat, while magic does Sun. to Sun. The Triumph will do Monday to Thursday, Thursday to Monday, and Monday to Saturday.

They do have two berths in Galveston. Royal Caribbean, if they are still there, does Sunday thru Sunday, along with the Magic. So Carnival will be able to berth two ships on a Saturday, assuming there are no other cruise ships there.

Many years ago while on a cruise, (may have been about five) it was mentioned that Texas provided a very good port and customers for Carnival and it was mentioned that Corpus was being thought about as a potential port. However, I have a strong feeling that with Galveston getting a third ship, that is nixed. It adds a few hours driving time and like it was pointed out, two large airports close by. Also, they do not have the added cost of new staff and facilities.

Corpus Christi should do what Savannah did: conduct a viability study before the spend a single penny in a cruise terminal.

Savannah considered themselves as the next big port, due to its many tourist attractions, great location, and close proximity to Atlanta, population 6 million.

That is until they conducted their study and realized that it wouldn't work. At least they realized it before they got in debt to pursue a dream. Hope Corpus Christi government officials are smart enough to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

[ QUOTE=Tapi;43143379]Corpus Christi should do what Savannah did: conduct a viability study before the spend a single penny in a cruise terminal.

Savannah considered themselves as the next big port, due to its many tourist attractions, great location, and close proximity to Atlanta, population 6 million.

That is until they conducted their study and realized that it wouldn't work. At least they realized it before they got in debt to pursue a dream. Hope Corpus Christi government officials are smart enough to do the same.

Savannah's problem is in how many home ports there are close by that go to the same location. How many ships do you need to sail to the Bahamas ?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

[ QUOTE=Tapi;43143379]Corpus Christi should do what Savannah did: conduct a viability study before the spend a single penny in a cruise terminal.

Savannah's problem is in how many home ports there are close by that go to the same location. How many ships do you need to sail to the Bahamas ?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm surprised they keep both Jax and Charleston.

Here's my thoughts on it....

I love cruising out of Florida, it's the cheapest and the easiest bar none. I'm a Texan. I'd prefer my $'s be spent here but it's a pain going from HOU or IAH to Galveston.

I've cruised once out of Galveston and have no plans to do it again anytime soon.

I could pay for airfare to FL and still come out ahead of the high rates in Galveston.

I love the choices of ports out of FL. I'm not sure we'd have those choices out of Corpus.

Would I try it if CCL did it? sure. I think Texas is big enough it could handle both ports. Then we wouldn't be going the New Orleans, we could stay right here in TX....I hate cruising out of New Orleans too....I think I just love the ease and cheapness of FL lol. :D but i'd try it.

I wish Carnival could expand ports on this side - - bring back San Diego, maybe add San Francisco, Santa Barbara, Portland, etc.

It would be kinda neat if Carnival did a coastal tour like Princess does: start in, say Long Beach, and then go up the coast and back (hitting, of course, Ensenada or Vancouver/Victoria for international check-in). We don't have a lot of ports to choose from at this point: Long Beach and Seattle (seasonally). That's it. :(

Hear our pleas! ;)

Corpus Christi should do what Savannah did: conduct a viability study before the spend a single penny in a cruise terminal.

I think it would be up to Carnival to do the study, if they haven't done so yet. Otherwise, they wouldn't have put the third ship in Galveston. They would have put it in Corpus, assuming they had the space at the Port of C.C.

Like I mentioned in another post. They very likely have computerized software that can pull customer information by region, and or by port. They do have detailed information on all past cruisers such as address, age, where they boarded, when they cruised, and so forth.

Never happen. Flying in to CC would cost much more than Houston and for us travelers from around the country it would be a turn off. Not everyone cruising from Galveston is from Texas or Oklahoma.

I agree.