Bit of a blog – Legend of the Seas - Ultimate Scandinavia & Russia – June 18th 2014

Where'd everyone go? Ashore!!

DSCN0311.jpg

Whilst waiting for docking and immigration clearance the people we have met previously are preparing for their aerial show.

One way of doing sit ups....

DSCN0315.jpg

DSCN0317.jpg

DSCN0320.jpg

Boarding the tender..... they loaded the RCL tours first..... they happened to walk past my room when I left..... so I just joined the line....

DSCN0324.jpg

Tender isn't filled.....

DSCN0325.jpg

The hospital / A&E

DSCN0343.jpg

DSCN0344.jpg

DSCN0349.jpg

A typical home

DSCN0353.jpg

The little train is lovely. I now go walkabout.

A not typical mode of transport

DSCN0355.jpg

One of the main squares. This one holds the Tourist Information office..... if you walk along the front then take the road to the right.....

DSCN0357.jpg

This is it

DSCN0358.jpg

A local park..... you can see we had a super day weather-wise

DSCN0359.jpg

Way off in the distance.....

DSCN0362.jpg

Little narrow passages, barely roads..... with the loveliest of little cottages....

DSCN0363.jpg

DSCN0364.jpg

I didn't do this deliberately but there are signs for WC everywhere....

DSCN0365.jpg

DSCN0382.jpg

DSCN0384.jpg

Fried Baltic Herring.....

DSCN0387.jpg

Liganberries (?) and pickle

DSCN0389.jpg..

Dessert menu too blurry to post.... sorry....

Flower icecream with gooseberry compote and meringue.

DSCN0390.jpg

I head back out to walk it all off.....

DSCN0391.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

It was ok. Was a problem regarding logistics..... and the fact we had no headsets really impacted the day. The guide was efficient and more than competent.... I am so glad I went to Moscow.... phenomenal place. And being given free time just added a touch of spice to the mix.

We had an amazing day in SPB today... just fabulous..... over way too soon..... you're going to have to wait whilst I post Visby and Helsinki!!

So excited to hear more, about ALL the ports! Rest up and enjoy your next stop

Best wishes!

I'm only posting a small % of pics taken

Oh my gosh, LOVED all the pictures of Visby. Looks like it was pretty easy to go walkabout there, and beautiful weather for you. We'll be there just about one year from today, so exciting. Thank you so much for posting this blog!

Best wishes!

Hi Linda,

Maybe I missed it earlier, but are they adding 15% to your drink/wine prices? Reason I ask is that I recognize one of the wines on the list and the price is exactly 15% more than the price I saw a couple of months ago. Just curious if the price went up, or if your menus already include the gratuity.

DSCN0419.jpg

DSCN0420.jpg

DSCN0421.jpg

DSCN0422.jpg

I had a miserable dining experience.... less to do with the food more with regards to an interaction with a member of staff that I didn't initiate.... there's a thread posted a couple of weeks back where someone discussed being labelled 'alone' as opposed to solo.... didn't really have a lot to contribute to that conversation until it was brought to my attention by a chef going round the tables that I was alone..... loudly so the whole restaurant could hear...

Head Waiter, Maitre d' etc did their best to pull me out of my doldrums.... ended up that I will get dessert of my choice when dining at Izumi on Friday.... was told I could ask for anything so have requested tiramisu..... need a 'pick me up'.

I had a miserable dining experience.... <snip>

Oh, Linda, that's terrible, I'm so sorry to hear that! :eek: I hope the tiramisu helps to soothe the doldrums. And I hope the chef was severely lectured by the Head Waiter, Maitre d', etc.!

Best wishes!

Clocks go back an hour tonight.

Bars of Russian chocolate for sale in Centrum shops $5…. You have to be kidding!! I may have already regretted not buying any ashore but to be honest it didn’t occur to me before I boarded.

I have finally met the dining companions to be avoided at all costs. Really unpleasant woman kicked off for having to wait for her main course on Thursday night, whilst the rest of us were eating our starter. I had sent my first starter back as it was too salty for me…. You should see my ankles…. Most of the water I’ve been drinking has been bottled but they’ve still acquired swollen status. Will see how they are in the morning but right now they are not a pretty sight. Anyway, she gave full blast to our head waiter for having to wait whilst others on the table ate multiple starters. I would sincerely have apologised to her but her attitude really was deplorable….. poor Lucian the Head Waiter who has been taking such good care of me was given the full force of her ire. There were others on the table eating more than one starter but they had been delivered swiftly one after the other….. in fact one lady had taken the whole time to eat the one! Anyway irate Scottish lady and her companion were served their mains first and their desserts whilst the rest of us were still eating our main course. It’s usually the same people at the table and we’ve had such a fine time until tonight.

I’ve been to the ‘Love and Marriage’ show….. same old. Still chuckle at the responses though. Love that the winners were given 20% off a couple’s spa treatment as a prize….. seriously RCL give them the prize not ask them to spend more money!!!

You’re going to have to wait until I get back for my full experience in Russia. Day 1 St Petersburg I took 216 pictures and ran out of battery power so reverted to my mobile; 156 in Moscow and another 213 Thursday. Crazy. By taking so many pictures I can remember with greater ease where we have been but to be honest I may need to actually be online to be accurate about place names. I’ve still to write up / upload Helsinki pics and am running out of time on the internet package and not about to purchase more. I had a lovely load of OBC but no idea how much is left!! Once I’ve eaten in Izumi I should get some OBC applied for eating in 3 upcharge restaurants.

Oh, Linda, that's terrible, I'm so sorry to hear that! :eek: I hope the tiramisu helps to soothe the doldrums. And I hope the chef was severely lectured by the Head Waiter, Maitre d', etc.!

Best wishes!

No worries.

Am back to dancing and singing down the corridors..... have a rather embarrassing picture of me being spoon-fed capuccino by the Head Waiter.....

TTIPWP

That Tweet Is Pointless Without Pictures!

UYCCYHTW.

Until your cheque clears you'll have to wait.

Back in Europe for mobile phone use. Noise of docking woke me up. Just as well I peeped out of window. We are berthed right up to another ship.

Great pictures from Visby. Thank You! But where are all the roses? Visby is called "The city of roses".

Anyway, next month I'm going to cruise Visby myself to see if the roses flowers ;)

Very interesting blog, Linda!

I'm looking forward to see photos from Moscow as I have never been there. A part of the company I work for has an office in Moscow so I may have to go there some day.

Just remember to go to bed early tonight as you have to go up early tomorrow morning to watch while sailing through the Stockholm archipelago. ;)

You can rest when you're back home... :D

It looks like you will have a sunny morning in Stockholm tomorrow. It's expected to be cloudy in the afternoon but hopefully no rain. Not too warm though (in the low 60's as highest). For Sunday it's not that good forecast.

/Erik

Taking a break on my walking tour of Tallinn. Of course I have left the guide I printed in the room.

Bought return shuttle on pier. Unnecessary. Easy walking. Glorious day. Have great map from shuttle people though.

Chatted to people from Brilliance who are berthed alongside. They shared Tallinn tips and I shared Visby. Town is crowded with I think 7 ships in town. Have list in room. Am trying to stay away from crowds though keep running in to roll callers!

Overheard....."She dumped him for his money." We'll never know.

Want to buy an amber ring. Loads of places here to do that. They also have matryishka dolls.

I loved the old town. Full of character and cobbles. Found my way up to Toompea with the most stunning views. Love going off the beaten track. Found a lovely garden with small fountain and view. Walked to down town and found the synagogue. Given a tour.

On walk back to pier ran into lost Americans from Brilliance which embarked in Harwich. Their flight from the US had been delayed and they missed the ship. RCL put them up in London for 2 days before flying them out to meet the ship in Copenhagen. Apparently the crossing had been rough and they were happy to be in London for the first time!

Bought a white amber ring in market on pier.

Called daughters. Exchanged some words with GS 3yo. Left musical voice message for the DD who didn't pick up. Warned DD3 who is currently living with me that my/our diet starts Monday.

Great pictures from Visby. Thank You! But where are all the roses? Visby is called "The city of roses".

Anyway, next month I'm going to cruise Visby myself to see if the roses flowers ;)

No time when on line to post every pic I have; some blooms in the botanical gardens were nearly finished. I do have one for you that I'll post next time I'm on the laptop.