what we are glad we did (and Bermuda on a budget)

glorialagos

We researched Bermuda before going but decided to just wing it once we got there. We were definitely glad we bought the bus/ferry pass.

I must be one of the few who was not totally impressed with Horseshoe Beach - pretty but we have seen many pretty beaches. I also didn't think the sand looked pink and heard many others with the same thoughts.

The $12 entrance fee to the museum/governor's mansion right in the dockyard is the best $12 you can spend. Go early and you can basically watch a dolphin show while others are in the water with them (a huge turtle there too). The place is HUGE and almost overwhelming if you try to read all the facts. I enjoyed exploring the outside areas more than the museum part. It was great that you just went on your own at your own pace.

We did take the ferry to Harbor Nights and were glad we did but would not do it a second time. There really wasn't much going on.

Maybe the favorite of our Bermuda stop was taking the ferry to St. George's and then finding Tom Moore's jungle. Again, you just explore on your own. I had printed off a review so we knew what to look for or we would not have found the best places. There are so many caves, almost hidden but huge when you find them. We took bread to feed the fish and it was better than snorkeling - saw so many different kinds. This was definitely a worthwhile trip and it was even better that it was totally free!

Our total expenses for Bermuda were the transportation passes ($25 for 2 days) and the $12 museum/fort fee. We felt like we did a lot but didn't overbook ourselves. The one thing I was sorry we missed was the lighthouse (Gibbs). We'll do that on the next trip - will definitely be returning.

thank you! Having been to Bermuda several times now, we are looking for something different to do and we are also budget cruisers. Taking the ferry to St. George's sounds like fun.

I agree, the Dockyard Museum is a great "excursion", close to the ship, inexpensive, and awesome views!

Like you, we were not so impressed with Horseshoe Beach. Way too crowded, and too much walking. Transportation costs, plus chairs/umbrellas, added up to a rather expensive day.

Edited by DonnaK

Can you tell me more about tom moores jungle. How to get there and what to do? We love exploring on our own and are going on a sept cruise to bermuda. Also what is harbor nights?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just posted all my Tom Moore info on that thread. There was no map that we had, just a review we had printed from tripadvisor which told us what to look for. It really is a very small area and you cannot get lost.

Harbor Nights was just like a small street fair. There was a small parade kind of performance of child through adult dancers (gombeys?). They had arts and crafts for sale and little carnival type rides for kids. There really was not much there. We expected more but were glad we went to see. It is on Wednesday nights and we caught the 7:00 ferry. They run the ferries much more often than the schedule says, at least on Wednesday evenings.