Epic Photo Review – Specialty Dining - Menus - Freestyle Dailies - Deck Tours

megacruiser

Great review!!!! Will look forward to exploring and finding the hidden sun deck on 18 when I board in August!

Thank you for the awesome pictures! They are better than the ones NCL uses! Ha!

Sophie :)

Very kind of you to say so.

Much appreciated

megacruiser

I'm loving your well-written review and great photos ! It was good to see some Le Bistro dishes we haven't tried. We're considering the Epic RT Barcelona for next year. Steve

Many thanks for taking the time to make such a positive comment.

Kind regards

megacruiser

This is probably the best review I've ever followed. I love your attention to detail. Thank you so much for the hours of time you've dedicated to this. You must have a very generous spirit.

I am trying to make a decision about the UDP and would like our input to help clarify. We had originally decided to just eat in Taste all week, and spend the money saved to eat in authentic restaurant in our ports of call. But your review implies that if we buy the UDP on the first day, we will have the Cirque show included for free. And now on this page you state that you ate in LeBistro twice. So my questions are:

Do we buy UDP ahead, to avoid VAT or on the first day to get a free Cirque dinner/show? FYI, We board in Italy which may effect VAT or first day offer.

In addition to Cirque, am I correct that we can get an additional 4 dining opportunities? And these can include multiples of the same restaurant? FYI, We have no interest in the Italian, Moderno, or the Tepanyaki.

Again, thanks for your help.

Lillian

This is probably the best review I've ever followed. I love your attention to detail. Thank you so much for the hours of time you've dedicated to this. You must have a very generous spirit.

I am trying to make a decision about the UDP and would like our input to help clarify. We had originally decided to just eat in Taste all week, and spend the money saved to eat in authentic restaurant in our ports of call. But your review implies that if we buy the UDP on the first day, we will have the Cirque show included for free. And now on this page you state that you ate in LeBistro twice. So my questions are:

Do we buy UDP ahead, to avoid VAT or on the first day to get a free Cirque dinner/show? FYI, We board in Italy which may effect VAT or first day offer.

In addition to Cirque, am I correct that we can get an additional 4 dining opportunities? And these can include multiples of the same restaurant? FYI, We have no interest in the Italian, Moderno, or the Tepanyaki.

Again, thanks for your help.

Lillian

Hello Lillian,

Thanks for the kind comment. I think the UDP is a bargain, especially if you intend to go to Cirque Dreams anyway, as it is included if you go on Day 1, and that would normally cost £39 alone for the premium seats.

If you wished to, you could dine three nights in Le Bistro and three nights in Cagney's, and you pay no upcharge for those items that normally incur one.

Or you could have two nights in each and then pick the two best nights to go to Taste or the Manhattan Room (I will be posting all seven dinner menus at the end; one thing I did miss was the Prime Rib...).

I will also mention that I had a really delicious meal at Teppanyaki (on Day 3, review coming very soon) which was a real surprise, and the entertainment was a bonus...

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Edited by megacruiser

Yes, Megacruiser. It did help. But unfortunately I'm still a bit confused.

Had you planned to do the UDP? You said you bought it on the first day as it then included Cirque. So Cirque didn't count as one of your dines? After Cirque how many dines do you get?

And the extra charges don't apply, if you're on UDP?

I can call NCL about whether it's also offered on the first night of Rome embarkation. Does anyone else know this?

Thanks again, Lillian

Yes, Megacruiser. It did help. But unfortunately I'm still a bit confused.

Had you planned to do the UDP? You said you bought it on the first day as it then included Cirque. So Cirque didn't count as one of your dines? After Cirque how many dines do you get?

And the extra charges don't apply, if you're on UDP?

I can call NCL about whether it's also offered on the first night of Rome embarkation. Does anyone else know this?

Thanks again, Lillian

Hi Lillian,

I bought the UDP in advance. The rules are that if you dine at Cirque Dreams on your first night (not sure if it will also be the first night for Rome embarkation, if not it will be the Barcelona day, but do check) the Premium Seats are free of charge. You can dine at Specialty Restaurants as often as you wish, I also dined at Shanghai's that night.

Regards

megacruiser

Edited by megacruiser

Thanks again! I've been on a dozen cruises but never paid for upscale dining, as I figured the money saved would pay for an excellent dinner at home.

Does one tip after the meal? Way back when i first cruised, it was explained that the fee for the upscale dining was the gratuity for the service. I know it's probably discretionary, but what is the typical practice?

Megacruiser

Also, how did you know that Cirque would be free the first night under UDP?

I can't remember where I read it, but if you buy the UDP in advance, just book Cirque Dreams online for Day One and it will not charge you... but you must actually pay for the UDP first, don't just have it in your basket whilst booking other things...

Regards

megacruiser

In this section I will cover the Garden Cafe, home of the buffet on the Epic. Unusually it is located on Deck 15 forward of the pools, rather than aft. I am not a buffet lover. Firstly it’s not as relaxing as being served by a waiter and there is more general hustle and bustle. Then either you have to go back and forth for the various dishes, or, if you get it all at once, the food will get cold. The food on offer tends to be cheaper mass-produced dishes that have little finesse and reminiscent of cafeteria food. Usually you can find something to your liking but seldom anything memorable...

Having said all that, I found the Epic buffet had the edge on the Oasis, not really because the main spread of hot dishes was that different, but because of the separate stations they had, like the Asian one for good stir-fry dishes and the vegetarian one that had some tasty Indian food. These are examples of foods that are cheap to prepare but can be very good to eat, and retain their eating quality for longer than some of the main hot fare. My favourite was made-to-order noodle soup, more details to follow...

The other thing I liked on the Epic was that you were more aware of chefs going around the various stations tidying up the appearance of the food, stirring and rearranging it and removing unsightly spillages. This does make a difference to how appetising the whole area appears. Another thing I liked was the provision of napkin-wrapped cutlery in a little container beside the condiments on each table; rather than having to search for cutlery every visit...

The most pleasant place to dine within the actual Garden Cafe itself, is all the way forward, with wonderful views across the bow; sea views elsewhere in general on this ship are in desperately short supply... If it is a busy day and you want to escape the noise and crowds, a worthwhile tip is that you can eat your food downstairs in La Cucina, the Italian restaurant. Simply take the stairs down one deck from this forward-most part of the Garden Cafe. It has a more relaxing restaurant-rather-than-cafe sort of feel and the surroundings are pleasant, with a huge tree in that rises up through the central well above; so it is not totally insulated from noise, but it is certainly calmer... The option to dine alfresco is more viable on Epic than on many ships. There is a relatively large area aft of the Garden Cafe called the Great Outdoors, with a generous number of tables and chairs in the open-air, and with shade available. Quite a number of photos that follow give a feel of the Garden Cafe and a snapshot of the sort of food on offer...

One side of the Great Outdoors...

EpicDeck15WavesBarGreatOutdoorsDown-1-2_zps65593b62.jpg

The decor is fresh and contemporary; artificial topiary and flowers look realistic

EpicGardenCafeBuffetlatervisit-18-18_zps62a0b0b7.jpg

Salads to the right, Indian then hot dogs and burgers to left...

EpicGardenCafeBuffetlatervisit-13-13_zpsc5da0a6e.jpg

Stir-fries to the right, more salad to left...

EpicGardenCafeBuffetlatervisit-17-17_zpsa0ee63f8.jpg

The main hot dishes - duplicated at the far right of picture...

EpicGardenCafeBuffetlatervisit-14-14_zpsfe075c06.jpg

Chef checking presentation of food displayed...

EpicGardenCafeBuffetlatervisit-19-19_zps8aa8cc39.jpg

The forward section near access to La Cucina, tree stretching up from below...

EpicGardenCafeEntrancetoLaCucina-1-20_zps1bc78a21.jpg

Nicer area to relax in La Cucina...

EpicGardenCafeLaCucinaTree-1-1_zps73a12890.jpg

EpicGardenCafeLaCucinaTree-2-2_zps7b2e52e3.jpg

Water and iced tea at lunchtime, juices at breakfast...

EpicGardenCafeBuffet-13-13_zps946ff697.jpg

Coffee section...

EpicGardenCafeBuffet-14-14_zps2c4bf68c.jpg

Now to my absolute favourite, that brought back happy memories of visits to Thailand... It was something I had every time I visited the buffet, the Far Eastern Noodle Soup, individually made-to-order by the chef.

Firstly you select any meat/seafood that you want – the choice was Chinese-style barbeque pork, shredded chicken or baby shrimp; any or all. Then your preferred noodles... the chef then places your selection into a little basket which is plunged for about 15 seconds into hot liquid/stock to warm it through... it is then put into a bowl, and hot flavoursome broth is ladled on top from the huge wok.

You can then customise to your preference with various trimmings and flavourings. I chose a very generous sprinkling of coriander (cilantro) and either chilli oil or sambal and a smidgeon of Splenda to counterbalance the chilli... This is such a clean fresh-tasting dish; I don’t think I could ever tire of it...

Start with barbecue pork, chicken or shrimp; or all of them...

EpicGardenCafeBuffetNoodleSoup-1-1_zps9db36b60.jpg

Then noodles...

EpicGardenCafeBuffetNoodleSoup-2-2_zps06385587.jpg

Into the basket for plunging...

EpicGardenCafeBuffetNoodleSoup-4-4_zpsd69a10bf.jpg

Ladling on the broth...

EpicGardenCafeBuffetNoodleSoup-5-5_zpseac61a5c.jpg

Edited by megacruiser

Can I ask, since the topic is buffet related...

Do they provide trays to put your plate on so you can get a drink without trying to juggle everything with just 2 hands?

Being a solo traveller, I dont want to get my food and have to leave it unattended to get a drink or vice versa.... hence the tray question.

If no trays - how did you get around this dilema - In know I have heard of peoples uneaten plates of food being cleared up when left unattended to get drinks etc.

Thanks in advance :)

Can I ask, since the topic is buffet related...

Do they provide trays to put your plate on so you can get a drink without trying to juggle everything with just 2 hands?

Being a solo traveller, I dont want to get my food and have to leave it unattended to get a drink or vice versa.... hence the tray question.

If no trays - how did you get around this dilema - In know I have heard of peoples uneaten plates of food being cleared up when left unattended to get drinks etc.

Thanks in advance :)

No trays. Waiters do offer to bring drinks. You could otherwise lay your plate down while you fill your glass, then carry one in each hand... Still it would need a repeat visit if carrying more than a main course...

Regards

megacruiser

We are booked on the Epic in 2015. The photos and description of the Garden Cafe are very helpful. The soup "almost pho" looks delicious! I will definitely look for that. The Asian and Indian offerings look enticing as well. Lots of great choices. We plan to eat mostly in the Specialty restaurants for dinner. Garden Cafe looks great for lunch but we may have 1 or 2 dinners there as well. Looking forward to your report on Teppanyaki. Did you eat at Shanghai or just the Noodle Bar? Thank you for taking the time to post!