Epic Photo Review – Specialty Dining - Menus - Freestyle Dailies - Deck Tours

megacruiser

I'm on the Epic next week, supposed to be this week, but a family emergency occurred. Love your report so far. Thanks so much! At the buffet, does the crew serve the food the first few days? On HAL they do so to avoid spreading viruses at the buffet. Just wondering whether to bring Handi-wipes.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

We are booked on the Epic in 2015. The photos and description of the Garden Cafe are very helpful. The soup "almost pho" looks delicious! I will definitely look for that. The Asian and Indian offerings look enticing as well. Lots of great choices. We plan to eat mostly in the Specialty restaurants for dinner. Garden Cafe looks great for lunch but we may have 1 or 2 dinners there as well. Looking forward to your report on Teppanyaki. Did you eat at Shanghai or just the Noodle Bar? Thank you for taking the time to post!

Hello,

I ate at Shanghai's, not the Noodle Bar, on the first night. I may have been unlucky, but it was woefully bad... it's all in the written part of my review. No skimming now... :)

Many thanks for taking the time to comment.

Regards

megacruiser

I'm on the Epic next week, supposed to be this week, but a family emergency occurred. Love your report so far. Thanks so much! At the buffet, does the crew serve the food the first few days? On HAL they do so to avoid spreading viruses at the buffet. Just wondering whether to bring Handi-wipes.

Hello and thanks for your feedback. The buffet operated as normal throughout.

They are fastidious about hand sanitizing as you enter. Aside from the usual dispensers, staff also have sprays to assist those who might not have chosen to use the said dispensers. The expression "washy, washy!" is one you hear constantly as you enter.

Regards

megacruiser

EpicBeatlesCelebrationFrontOn-1-1-2_zpsf3782b88.jpg

Then off to Fat Cats, the regular venue at 9pm, 10pm and 11pm for the Beatles Celebration tribute band.

Ridiculous question: does the review only cover the Beatles period "depicted" by their outfit? Or is it everything from the whole career?

Thanks. Sailing on the Epic in November and am enjoying the review immensely.

We saw the Beatle Celebration Band on our cruise in May and they were great. They dress in different period clothes for each set but it has no connection to the era of the songs they're playing, so they might be dressed '64 style and playing "Come Together" and later in "white album" look playing "A Hard Day's Night".

Before resuming the review with Day 3, first is a tour of Deck 7, which is my favourite Deck because the decor is very contemporary, and is a pleasure to walk through, unlike Deck 5 and more particularly Deck 6; both of which I will cover later...

Deck 7 Plan

EpicDeck7Plan-1-1-2_zps4950ae8f.jpg

EpicDeck7CagneysandModerno-2-2_zps4f8f87a5.jpg

EpicDeck7CagneysandModerno-1-1_zpsa1546f77.jpg

Starting aft, Moderno Churrascaria and Cagney’s Steak House share an entrance. They occupy the space directly above the Manhattan Room, the Main Dining Room on Deck 6 which, at its middle, is a double-height room. The upper part of it encroaches into the space between the main seating areas of Moderno and Cagneys and is enclosed with glass...

Beyond the Salad Bar the glass panels ahead overlook the Manhattan Room...

EpicDeck7SaladBarModernotoManhattan-1-1_zps834fd44d.jpg

EpicDeck7CagneysandModerno-9-9_zps44fb8a60.jpg

EpicDeck7CagneysandModerno-7-7_zpsb61ce579.jpg

Looking down from aft elevators to Cascades Bar

EpicDeck7CagneysandModerno-5-5_zps64d3c10b.jpg

Barber shop...

EpicDeck7BarberShop-1-1_zps320d239f.jpg

With an actual customer...

EpicDeck7BarberShop-1-1_zps3fd4204f.jpg

Sandbar Alcohol and Cigarette Store...

EpicDeck7SandbarBarberShop-1-2-4_zps7d51a3c7.jpg

Across on the Port side is the Library...

EpicDeck7LibraryHumidor-2-1_zpsd67bd88d.jpg

Adjoins the enclosed Humidor Cigar Lounge...

EpicDeck7LibraryHumidor-1-2-1_zpsea2ad759.jpg

Lots of space devoted to shopping...

EpicDeck7Shops-1-7_zps416450c8.jpg

EpicDeckShops-2-2_zps59c6ccda.jpg

EpicDeck7Shops-1-1_zps3441667a.jpg

Looking at approach to Spiegel Tent where folk queue for best seats; Headliners to right by brick pillars... EpicDeck7WalkwaytoBlisslookingdowntoSpeigelTent-2-10_zpsff7d821d.jpg

Forward elevator lobby, Bliss ahead, Entertainment Kiosk and Epic Theatre below...EpicDeck7WalkwaytoBliss-1-12_zps84c8e183.jpg

Thank you for such great photos - actually managed to see myself in those of the Posh Area, which I loved as a place to escape to. It would seem we were on the same sailing (8th-15th June?). Although I enjoyed my cruise I felt Epic was too big but for me it was a good option as a solo traveller - no single supplements being the big attraction! I had a midship inside cabin but would not hesitate to have a studio - they are ideal for one person.

Would consider sailing on Epic again if the right deal came along and there was a different itinerary but may also check out the other ships in the fleet which have studio cabins.

Thanks again for great photos and such an good review which will certainly be of help to those with cruises yet to come on Epic.

Regards

Suron

This is actually on NCL's FAQ page. They say $5 per person per game, sounds right:

http://answers.ncl.com/answers/4066/category/EPIC/norwegian-epic-questions-answers/questions.htm?expandquestion=1891428

I read you swipe your card and the expense is added to your on board account. Perhaps someone can confirm.

What does it cost for bowling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is actually on NCL's FAQ page. They say $5 per person per game, sounds right:

http://answers.ncl.com/answers/4066/category/EPIC/norwegian-epic-questions-answers/questions.htm?expandquestion=1891428

I read you swipe your card and the expense is added to your on board account. Perhaps someone can confirm.

Yes it is charged to your account.

We were charged $21 for three of us. We had a game as our son quite enjoys playing and we don't go very often on land. We all agreed though that is wasn't worth that much, and wouldn't do it again.

It was $5 each last year, so it's gone up sometime over the last year.

Ridiculous question: does the review only cover the Beatles period "depicted" by their outfit? Or is it everything from the whole career?

Thanks. Sailing on the Epic in November and am enjoying the review immensely.

Many thanks for your kind comment.

I know the band were a little reluctant to do some of the Sgt Peppers songs because of the orchestration; although sometimes they just imitated horns and so on, as the next best alternative...

Regards

megacruiser

Thanks for answering my question about the Shanghai restaurant. I did read it but completely forgot about it! Sorry. A shame your meal wasn't very good. I am still planning on trying it though during our sailing. Hopefully we have better luck.

Your first photo of the "Clubby atmosphere" at Bliss is excellent! Could be in a brochure! Looking forward to the rest of your review!

As I had visited most of the tourist spots around Naples on various occasions, rather than explore again on my own, I decided to have a restful day on board.

TeppanyakiMenu-1_zps39de2e7c.jpg

For dinner I had a reservation at Teppanyaki. I have never really taken well to Japanese food, or at least what little of it I have experienced. I am neither keen on raw fish nor sticky rice. I have vague memories of a meal at a Japanese restaurant in Hong Kong in 1986, a spur of the moment, impromptu decision. I do have recollections of the food being cooked in front of us, so I assume it was Teppanyaki; but didn’t leave there feeling as if I had experienced something that I would ever wish to repeat. That has remained the case until this visit...

That’s one of the benefits of the UDP I suppose... you can try things you might not otherwise risk, knowing you can go elsewhere if disappointed. My expectations were low and I thought most, if any, enjoyment was likely to be derived from the entertainment aspect of the experience, rather than the food itself.

For those unfamiliar with how the set up works, there are a number of pairs of hotplates with a space between for a chef to work directly in front of the diners for whom he is cooking. Place-settings for eight are arranged on three sides of the hot plate; four are face-on to the chef working behind the hotplate, and a pair at each end. The timing of bookings is planned to allow for one set of diners to be seated, to place their orders, and then receive any drinks and starters; whilst the other group are watching their hot food being prepared. As they move onto dessert, the chef turns around and starts his performance for the next group, who by now are ready for their main course.

DSCF0352-1_zpsb250ee78.jpg

Edamame beans to be going on with... whilst decisions about ordering are soon to be made...

EpicTeppanyakiMenuwithCocktails-1-1_zps5329906c.jpg

I am not really much of a cocktail drinker; but what the heck, even already I liked the buzz in this place and a Japanese Martini might just hit the spot and get the proceedings off to a flying start... no extra cost of course, it’s all included in the UBP...

Miso soup is for me, not unpleasant but rather unexciting, and there is no alternative starter...

DSCF0368-2_zps6d1fdd70.jpg

For the main course I ordered the Land and Sea Combination – Filet Mignon and Jumbo Shrimp...

Meantime the chef set to work making the egg fried rice. About two heads of minced garlic was fried in lashings of oil...

DSCF0369-3_zps2b6115a8.jpg

Then eggs went onto the hot plate...

DSCF0376-4_zps6ee18981.jpg

Eggs were then shredded for mixing in with the boiled rice as it was being fried, with large quantities of butter incorporated along the way and finally spring onions...

All the while, pepper and salt were ceremonially added in a manner resembling a juggler on speed...

DSCF0384-5_zpsaef0fab1.jpg

The final product comes together as lightning-fast blades complete the appetising transmogrification...

DSCF0394-6_zpsc5a7df19.jpg

That fried rice was the best I have ever tasted, and no wonder with the amount of butter and oil in it...

Next onto the vegetable preparation... The chef makes a little volcano-shape from the onion rings then pours liquids inside – including Pepsi I believe – and a steam eruption of sorts follows...

First oil...

DSCF0421-7_zps05f4c0b9.jpg

Later Pepsi...

DSCF0439-9_zpsecd0701e.jpg

Volcano erupts...

DSCF0422-8_zps813e1e61.jpg

A portion each of vegetables...

DSCF0450-10_zps0ab55c8f.jpg

Then stir-fry vegetables...

DSCF0460-11_zps2830da70.jpg

Scallops and Calamari...

DSCF0504-13_zps9f8e72a1.jpg

Jumbo Shrimp, Scallops and Lobster...

DSCF0491-12_zps7e5c4d1d.jpg

The chef cooks everyone’s order in batches, doing all the Filet Mignon orders together; likewise all Jumbo Shrimp, Scallops or Lobster; so you may get part of your order ahead of the remaining component.

My Shrimp were truly excellent and the Filet Mignon was good; better than Modernos or Cagney’s, but still not quite what I had hoped for... The accompaniments were all first class, fresh-tasting well-seasoned and delicious.

I opted for the fruit sashimi to finish. It was so delicious, seemingly much more so than if it was simply sliced fruit... It was so moist and juicy I thought it may have been macerated... An excellent end to a very enjoyable meal...

DSCF0515-14_zps8a42b609.jpg

This time I left Teppanyaki looking forward to a future visit, when I expect to be trying the Shinto combination... Recommended.

I'll be making dinner and show reservations soon. We bought the UDP, so we'll be eating all our meals in specialty restaurants. Can you estimate how long it took to eat in Cagneys, Tepanyaki, and LeBistro. We like to eat before the show, and in many instances that may be difficult.

Any advice on this?

This was a show in the Epic Theatre with three tribute acts, dancers and a live band. It is billed as lasting 90 minutes. All artists were of a high standard. I am not overly familiar with Shakira’s material but she was a good performer; but I do ask is Shakira really a legend?

Second up was Diana Ross and, for part of the act, she was supported by two other singers whilst performing some Supremes songs. This was my favourite act of the three. During her set, a technical problem brought the show to a halt. Part of the hydraulic stage got stuck in the submerged position, causing a gaping hole. The stage crew came on for a few minutes to physically un-jam it; not quite so serious as an incident during the production show on the Norwegian Wind sailing out of Sydney in January 2002. On that memorable occasion, the stage went on fire, the show was cancelled and the theatre was evacuated. As flames took hold and smoke billowed into the auditorium, fire-fighters were summoned over the PA system, just like in the crew emergency drill, but for real...

Then came Prince and, whether you are a fan or not, you could not help but be impressed by the talent of this artist. He had a phenomenal vocal range that allowed him to replicate Prince’s falsetto; but most importantly, the choreography was stunning, and in particular his robotic and acrobatic moves...

Each act performed for 15 minutes; then they all performed together for another 15 minutes, so really the show was only an hour; not entirely a bad thing, but misleading when trying to plan your evening. Comparing the sound of the backing band to the Blue Man Group performance the previous night, it fell rather short. The sound balance just was not as good as it should be. Having said that, it was a great show and I realised that NCL had more than risen to the challenge laid down by Oasis of the Seas, in terms of top-rate cruise entertainment.