Epic Photo Review – Specialty Dining - Menus - Freestyle Dailies - Deck Tours

megacruiser

I see you had two appetizers at Le Bistro. Do they always allow people to choose two appetizers?

Thanks!

Shelley

When I am on a cruise, even when in the main dining room, I always like to have an appetiser, then a soup, before the main course. This is commonplace. So when paying extra for a specialty restaurant I never even give it a second thought. Why order less when paying more? It has never been an issue...

Thye do state they charge an extra $10 for an additional main in Le Bistro and Cagney's, but I expect that is to deter those who order multiple mains merely to take a couple of bites and waste the rest.

Regards

megacruiser

Hi WouterC,

I didn't even notice there was such a night. Never noticed anyone dressed to the nines. NCL is one line where no one need ever feel out of place if dressing no more than smart casual on any night.

It is quite possible some folk dining in the Manhattan Room made the effort but I didn't go there. It would be pointless in Taste.

I wouldn't bother taking your gala clothes unless it's something you would enjoy doing for its own sake - rather than to be part of a dressy night.

Regards

megacruiser

NCL hasn't had "Dress Up Or Not" night for quite a while now. It has been replaced by "Norwegian Night Out", although many people still refer to it as dress up or not.

Norwegian Night Out takes place on the sea day at the start of the cruise. Nowhere on the details about the night does it mention dress, but it's the night you can get pictures with the captain etc, so I imagine some people do so. I can't say I ever notice what other people are wearing, so I can't say now many people did dress up.

I'm an avid reader probably three books a week. Of course I'm retired. My preference is mystery thrillers. I came up on your post, and was intrigued. Of course I will be Following! I can hardly wait to see what happens next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MegaCruiser

Thanks so much for your wonderful review. Hope you get the T-shirt as the Cruise Critic Review of the week, month,....

I will be on the Epic on the trans-Atlantic in October.

Did you ever dine alone in the Specialty Restaurants? On one cruise I dined alone in the main dining room twice. I did not enjoy the experience as I was not prepared and did not bring a book.

MegaCruiser

Thanks so much for your wonderful review. Hope you get the T-shirt as the Cruise Critic Review of the week, month,....

I will be on the Epic on the trans-Atlantic in October.

Did you ever dine alone in the Specialty Restaurants? On one cruise I dined alone in the main dining room twice. I did not enjoy the experience as I was not prepared and did not bring a book.

If you go to the daily solos get together then you will be able to join with others to go for meals. I was on the Breakaway TA by myself and never ate alone in the main or speciality restaurants.

Normally we request a table for two it's my daughter and myself an 18-year-old and a 60-year-old but because of this post I will let the maître d' or the hostess know that if there is a solo diner that they are welcome to dine with us if they care to

Just to finish off Day 5, I want to briefly mention the Motown tribute group, Soul Satisfaction. I know I have seen them on a previous cruise, but I think their name may have been different... Anyway, if you like The Four Tops or The Drifters and their ilk, you will love this group... A top class act with strong vocals and harmonies, their energetic performance created a great atmosphere in this quite intimate venue. Totally authentic, right down to those synchronised dance-and-hand-movements that were the trademark of such sixties icons; and that now seem almost comical in their half-century-old time-warp.... Sorry no photos; I thought I was taking some at the time but they had disappeared into the ether when I later tried to locate them...

On a side note, Soul Satisfaction would normally easily fill the theatre on most ships but they instead appeared on multiple nights in Headliners. Mind you, The Beatles Celebration would equally have been a main-theatre highlight elsewhere; but such is the strength of entertainment on this ship that they too were relegated to a lesser venue; and I know from speaking to them that they felt under-appreciated because of that... So please don’t make the mistake of thinking that those acts that don’t appear in the theatre are necessarily, in any way, second-rate or fillers...

The white Hot Party is the day you're in Cannes, a Friday at 10:30 pm.

Thank you so much Megacruiser. I am enjoying your words and photos very much. You're use of language is a pleasure to read.

Thank you kindly for the feedback. It is very gratifying to know when the written part of my review is also appreciated.

Regards

megacruiser

View of ship’s tenders from the Garden Cafe...

DSCF1461-1_zpsf9847c29.jpg

I actually went ashore in Cannes; it would have been a shame not to get off the ship at least once... I was mainly curious to see how the tender-operation functioned; not the slickest, but adequate. Have experienced a more free-flowing shuttle-type service with less waiting.

The legendary Carlton Hotel on La Croisette, seen from the tram...

DSCF1478-1_zpsb218c5d9.jpg

Having been in Cannes several times previously, and feeling very lazy in the heat of the early afternoon, I decided to take the little tram tour that picks-up at the end of the tender-pier... It’s only 10 Euros and lasts around an hour. A nice alternative to wandering around aimlessly; and a good way of getting a general overview of what can, at another time, be explored in more detail.

Epic - viewed through a heat haze from the tender-pier ...

DSCF1490-1_zps9ee58505.jpg

Ready to head back to air-conditioned bliss...

DSCF1491-2_zps47cc60ba.jpg

CagneysSteakhouseMenu-1_zps2d823a9c.jpg

It was back to Cagney’s tonight. I’ll compare my second visit choices to my first and give my opinion as to which was better...

Appetiser: First - Shrimp Cocktail – nice enough but small and unexciting...

DSCF0880-1-2_zps20e4dee4.jpg

Appetiser: Second – Crab Salad – again very simple but for me it had the edge...

DSCF1559-1_zps1f98118e.jpg

Soup: First - Baked Potato Soup – much better than it sounds...

DSCF0884-1_zpsb7a4dec6.jpg

Soup: Second – Split Pea Soup – not at all what I expected, lacked body and flavour...

DSCF1561-2_zps419dec45.jpg

Main: First - New York Strip, very tasty and juicy, but chewy...

DSCF0885-1_zpsb38b6c26.jpg

Main: Second – Filet Mignon – tender but lacking flavour or succulence – very disappointing...

DSCF1569-3_zps079e2cfc.jpg

Dessert: First - Warm Apple Cardamom Crisp – my favourite, Apple Crumble, simple but satisfying...

DSCF0890-1-2_zps06224f5b.jpg

Dessert: Second - Ice Cream Sandwich – looks good, but tastes bland; not even the Raisin Chutney could redeem it - rejected...

DSCF1576-4_zps63ea020f.jpg

Replacement – Raspberry Creme Brulee – better for sure, but not enough to beat the Apple Crumble...

DSCF1585-5_zpsf877b1ce.jpg

So really the only winner on the second visit was the Crab Salad appetiser – everything else I preferred on the first visit... Would never again do Cagney’s twice on one 7-night cruise... After my first visit I was, on balance, positive about the place, but the second visit took the gloss off it... Too much of a good thing, methinks...

Just to finish off Day 5, I want to briefly mention the Motown tribute group, Soul Satisfaction. I know I have seen them on a previous cruise, but I think their name may have been different... Anyway, if you like The Four Tops or The Drifters and their ilk, you will love this group... A top class act with strong vocals and harmonies, their energetic performance created a great atmosphere in this quite intimate venue. Totally authentic, right down to those synchronised dance-and-hand-movements that were the trademark of such sixties icons; and that now seem almost comical in their half-century-old time-warp.... Sorry no photos; I thought I was taking some at the time but they had disappeared into the ether when I later tried to locate them...

On a side note, Soul Satisfaction would normally easily fill the theatre on most ships but they instead appeared on multiple nights in Headliners. Mind you, The Beatles Celebration would equally have been a main-theatre highlight elsewhere; but such is the strength of entertainment on this ship that they too were relegated to a lesser venue; and I know from speaking to them that they felt under-appreciated because of that... So please don’t make the mistake of thinking that those acts that don’t appear in the theatre are necessarily, in any way, second-rate or fillers...

Just completed this cruise on the 6th July. Soul Satisfaction were definitely my favourite entertainment onboard. They performed in Headliners twice and the main theatre. I went to all three performances. They were also on my January Jade sailing. My favourite show onboard that cruise too! I think I hummed their Barry White encore song on the flight most of the way home!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You are encouraged to wear white if you can, but everyone welcome...

DSCF1594-6_zpsbe8ae310.jpg

Perhaps too many people were exhausted after such a port-intensive cruise but the White Hot Party suffered similarly to the Fabba night... It just wasn’t busy enough to generate the atmosphere needed to make it a rip-roaring success.

You are encouraged to wear white if you can, but everyone welcome...

DSCF1594-6_zpsbe8ae310.jpg

Perhaps too many people were exhausted after such a port-intensive cruise but the White Hot Party suffered similarly to the Fabba night... It just wasn’t busy enough to generate the atmosphere needed to make it a rip-roaring success.

That's a shame, the white hot party was buzzing on our Epic TA...after 8-9 at sea days

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's gone 2am. Next time - the remainder of Day 1 including Shanghai food and hopefully the start of Day 2. The Spa Day Pass, around the ship on the only sea day, Blue Man Group and Le Bistro. Thanks to everyone following. Personal responses tomorrow.

megacruiser

Following! Looking forward to reading more of your review and seeing these great pictures!