What IS a "Cheap" cruise?

My girlfriend and I are backpacker travelers. We go all over the world with just our backpacks, staying in hostels and using Couchsurfing (staying with strangers on their couches or spare rooms), eating cheap eats and grocery stores, taking cheaper and slower public transportation between cities and countries, and not spending a ton of money by any means. Depending on the country, we get by on between $350-$800 per person per month! Yes, we spend less traveling than we spend on rent back home in the states. (She's from the San Francisco Bay Area and I'm from NYC.)

We just booked a transatlantic cruise with Royal Caribbean for 14 nights for $650 each (including the port taxes and fees stuff, not including gratuities.) We got an inside cabin but the only reason we are doing a cruise is because of the price. We were going to fly from Europe to the US and one way airline tickets were in the $500 range with some sketchy airline offering around $400. So for $150 more per person, we decided to spend 2 weeks on a boat with all you can eat food, activities and entertainment, and 5 port stops (all new places for us!) instead of 8 hours in a cramped airline seat with 1 sketchy plate of food. Sounded like too good of an offer to pass up.

We booked direct through Royal Caribbean using their 2nd person sales 50% off sale. This will be my first cruise ever and her first since she was 12 years old. Really looking forward to it in a few weeks!

So yes, coming from true budget travelers, you can get a cheap cruise!

Slonik, Congrats on that cruise price. That sounds like a steal! I was looking at some really cheap transatlantic ones but thought it would be too tough with the kiddos. But during my backpacker days... it would be awesome.

Not too many backpackers on these forums. You'll have a blast though. Though expect a fair amount of culture shock, in a different way than you're probably used too. :cool:

We just booked a transatlantic cruise with Royal Caribbean for 14 nights for $650 each (including the port taxes and fees stuff, not including gratuities.) We got an inside cabin but the only reason we are doing a cruise is because of the price. We were going to fly from Europe to the US and one way airline tickets were in the $500 range with some sketchy airline offering around $400. So for $150 more per person, we decided to spend 2 weeks on a boat with all you can eat food, activities and entertainment, and 5 port stops (all new places for us!) instead of 8 hours in a cramped airline seat with 1 sketchy plate of food. Sounded like too good of an offer to pass up.

We're almost at the backpacker level of travel (and would be except we have 3 kids now!), and we've had our eyes on those transatlantic rates for years. Cheaper to cruise to Europe than fly sometimes! And you get an awesome trip for 2 weeks, too.

I'd love to cruise to Europe in May on a cheap transatlantic, then return to the US in October when most of the cruises return to the Caribbean for the winter. Bum around Europe for June, July, Aug, and Sept until it's time to go home. :)

Hi! Anyone ever used the 30 hour cruise special on Carnival? Going on now! Comments welcome!!

We almost did but we're trying to hold off. Last minute deals on Carnival have been about the same rates, and in fact they have offered $28/nt on some cruises for about a month now (mostly last minute out of Miami).

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from a five day land vacation and by the time we figured in gas, tolls, hotel, food, ice cream, entertainment......and it was a very out doorsy hiking and biking tyoe of trip......well a cruise would have been more cost efficient in the end.

We just returned from a five day land vacation and by the time we figured in gas, tolls, hotel, food, ice cream, entertainment......and it was a very out doorsy hiking and biking tyoe of trip......well a cruise would have been more cost efficient in the end.

It's amazing how quickly has adds up on car trips now a days. Add in hotel and food and a vacation ends up being an arm and a leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We aren't the back-pack traveler. We have multi-generations when we travel so we like to travel on a large ship with plenty of varied activities for everyone. We are also limited on when we can cruise. We do NOT take the kids out of school. District policy is not that flexible and we do feel it's hard for the kids to make up the work (which is required). With that in mind, we have still managed to get some great deals on short cruises. We booked on an older ship without all the bells and whistles for a rest and relax type cruise in the Caribbean. We didn't need to book any excursions because we had previously been to these islands. We only put two people to a cabin and paid approximately $150 per day. We could have done it cheaper with all four of us to a cabin. Cruising outside the peak dates, booking an inside cabin and putting four in a cabin and cruising on an older ship will obviously bring the price down.

3 cruises under the belt, last 2:

7 days with Carnival, looked for deal on cruise and flights and we ended up paying about 2000-2500.00 total

This was cruise, taxes, flights, tad of spending money etc.. We spend nothing on the ship and yes, we tip.

We look for the 279-333per person price, always booking an inside, always during Dec-March.

To most, cruising is a luxury treat and should be viewed as such. Know you budget, set your spending limit and enjoy your cruise.

No reason to look at cruising as only a luxury treat. Check prices, book cheap, get 2 cruises for what others paid for just 1 and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...
To most, cruising is a luxury treat and should be viewed as such. Know you budget, set your spending limit and enjoy your cruise.

It's funny, I was just explaining to someone how many people view cruising as a luxury treat "vacation of a lifetime" thing. We consider it to be a cheap vacation getaway that would be hard to replicate at a land based resort for the same price. Not that we don't think cruising is awesome and luxurious.

Maybe that's why we don't feel like letting loose and ignoring the on board charges that would build up quickly if we spent like crazy.

I completely disagree that cruising isn't cheap if you really search around!

My Mum is leaving this week on a P&O cruise with flights to the Caribbean totalling £2200 for her and her OH. They originally booked a balcony in the P&O January sale for £2000 for both of them incl flights, but then got a call a week ago saying would they like to pay £200 to upgrade to a 1A suite!! So for £2200 they are flying from the UK to Caribbean return, and spending 2 weeks in a SUITE on Azura. (Thats $123 dollar pppn)! DH & I paid just that for 4 nights on a land-based holiday to Santorini and that was self catering and flights only!!!

Edited by icklemonster

• 1 month later...

I am going on a 5 day on Princess on Jan 26, balcony, for $219 pp, plus port charges, etc, with a $100 pp ship board credit. With all that, plus insurance, added in, my final cost for the 2 of us was $698. Now THAT'S cheap! I will book a soda package for the hubby, for a cost of $40; as for me, I'm good with coffee in the AM, water, and a glass of wine at night. It is doubtful we'll do any of the add-on cost restaurants, and won't spend much in port either. I couldn't do 3 nights in a hotel in Miami, with food and entertainment, for that price.

We always have to pay to fly to any vacation - land or cruise - during our winter. So I'll exclude those costs, they're just the cost of travelling away from here.

We spent 20 years doing land vacations before we tried cruising. The least expensive were those when we could rent an apartment (usually someone's vacant condo) for the week, buy groceries and make all our own food. Much more expensive were vacations at all -inclusives, which were pretty costly. Then we discovered cruising. And for us, it's the most economical and enjoyable of all. That's because you need to consider quality, not just cost.

No all-inclusive ever offered us anywhere near the quality of food we have experienced on cruises. It's just so much better. And of course, when we stayed in rented condos, we were our own chefs and dish-washers, and the menu and the service on those occasions were the same-old. And no all-inclusive ever offered us anywhere near the quality and variety of entertainment and activities every ship has offered. So, on quality, cruises win hands-down, in our experience.

As to price. We try to cruise in off-peak times. We look for sales. We don't insist on the choicest cabin. And while we're not cheap (we tip generously, and enjoy drinks on board) we don't spend foolishly. So, no special restaurants, because the standard food is already very good. No spa, photos, art purchases, on-board shops, or gold by the yard, - because that's not our life. No ship excursions, and instead, often exploring by foot or local transport.

As a result I can say the cost of cruising is very competitive with land vacations we've had (and often better), and our experience is always higher-quality.

Good question. We just booked on the Allure for way in advance for a 7 week Caribeean cruise and I like to think we got a good deal. When I looked at a comparable ship/itenirary/cabin on Disney Fantasy, the Fantasy was $2000 more. We also need to account for flight which will add to the cost.

Edited by LuCruise

• 3 weeks later...

Just figured this out , so I figured I'd chime in....we are taking our 5 children on a 12 day Repo On The Carnival Freedom next month. We booked 2 inside cabins (original plan was 2 OV, but decided to put the price difference of $800 into some "fun stuff"). We are flying into fort Lauderdale, and back home from galveston. I paid for our return flight with cc points saved specifically for this vacation.

Total cost of air, precruise hotel rooms (2), cruise, gratuities (which is 7 people x 12 days OUCH :eek:), private shuttle from cruise port to HOU, fees/taxes/etc....

We're coming in at about $60.25/pppd.

Yep, SIXTY. after reading this thread I went back and double checked my math, because everyone was saying things like $50-$80/pppd for cruise only.

Spending money: Hubby and I aren't huge drinkers, but we will enjoy some. We don't gamble. We're renting vans in 2 islands, will be taking taxis/public transport on the others. We don't go to the specialty restaurants. We will be doing one ziplining excursion (husband and the oldest 3), and a few paid experiences (chakanaab in cozumel, etc.) The kids have been saving their allowance for spending money on souvenirs, we will also kick in a few extra bucks and they will be in charge of how they wish to spend it/what they want to buy.

SO adding in all that, plus a healthy cushion (airport meals, our purchases, etc) we're at about $80/pppd. This is for a 2 week vacation.i don't think I did half bad....

As a matter of fact, I think the hubby should buy me something nice because of all the money I saved :p

As far as whether cruising is an affordable vacation: I side with absolutely YES!

A week in disney, with a cheap meal plan and 5 days of park tickets came in at over $7000. Spending money and air would have put us a few grand over what we're paying--for HALF the amount of time!!! Not to mention how exhausting that trip is! Lol.

I also looked into all-inclusives, again--significantly more money. And our initial plan for this "Big vacation" (we've been saving for a couple years towards an unknown "Big vacation" for our family) was heading to cali for 7-10 days, renting condos and vans and visiting some sites...priced that out at around $7000-8000. And we're back to the intense, busy, non-relaxing and shorter vacation. ...

so all-in-all, for a larger family this is definitely a good deal.

Oh, and to answer one other question I'll probably get....

Our two oldest (14 & 12) do cyber school. They can work ahead and get done everything they need to be completely current with their classes when we return. Our youngest (3) isn't in school. The middle 2 (10 & 6) will be missing 2 weeks of school. We talked to both of their teachers--no problem there, and wrote a note to the principal requesting they be excused. They will work ahead/make up when we get home, and we've also mentioned being happy to do any additional work specific to our trip (reports on the countries, etc.) They're both excellent students , the principal said she had no problems approving the trip.

Our personal feelings...I know not everyone agrees, but we feel the things they'll learn and experience on this trip far outweigh the potential negatives from missing school. We will be travelling to European-governed islands--countries with different cultures, languages, money, food...the potential for education is virtually limitless. Plus the family time and fun.

We lead a very active and busy life, with 5 kids there's never enough time or energy, so we are very much looking forward to electronics free family togetherness (nope, we won't be purchasing a social media plan, either ;) )

My family took a vacation every fall when I was growing up. My brother and I would miss at least a week in the beginning of every school year. I graduated 20th in my class of over 500. I think I was fine. :D

It sounds like you found a great deal! I work at the other big theme park in Orlando, and I wonder how people can afford to visit us, when you add in the cost of air, car rental, hotel, theme park admission, meals, souvenirs, and express passes if you go to my park.

I agree with you on taking the kids out of school. I was a good student, and my parents never had an issue with taking me out of school for vacation. We started visiting Florida when I was 13, and we would go for 2 weeks in May, and it was never an issue, and this was long before cyber school and home schooling. Some things are better than book learning.

It sounds like you found a great deal! I work at the other big theme park in Orlando, and I wonder how people can afford to visit us, when you add in the cost of air, car rental, hotel, theme park admission, meals, souvenirs, and express passes if you go to my park.

I agree with you on taking the kids out of school. I was a good student, and my parents never had an issue with taking me out of school for vacation. We started visiting Florida when I was 13, and we would go for 2 weeks in May, and it was never an issue, and this was long before cyber school and home schooling. Some things are better than book learning.

I'll third these comments. The cost of travelling on season vs off season is huge...both destination and airlines raise their prices significantly during Christmas and March Breaks (and summer is too hot at certain destinations).

We thought about flying in a day early and hitting a park for one day...the 2 littlest have never been and are prime "princess" stage :D figured out it would be about $1000 to go for ONE DAY. In my book, that's just insane.

Wow, $1000! I guess adding in hotel and rental car, food, and the astronomical cost of tickets, I can see how it would add to that, which is why I NEVER go to other theme parks unless I get in for free. That is more than my husband and I are paying for a 5 night cruise to Mexico, in a balcony cabin, including taxes, fees, and gratuities, with $200 onboard credit.

• 5 months later...

Not to re-awaken an old thread, but I think I did finally get a bit of a deal. My kids are now having a fall break in school the week of September 28 - October 2. Happened across a promo e-mail from Carnival. Got an IS on the Carnival Ecstasy (smaller ship) out of Miami on a 4-day western Caribbean cruise for $1100 including all taxes, port charges and gratuities for all four of us. In fact, we paid more for the taxes and gratuities than the cruise fare! Before all the other expenses (taxes, port charges, gratuities), it came out to $31.25 per person per day. Great thing about this cruise is that we can drive down on Friday after school lets out, spend Saturday and Sunday with family in Miami, get on the ship Monday, get off Friday, spend the rest of Friday with family, and Saturday morning head home, with one day to rest and reset before school starts up again. How'd I do?

-E

From what I've heard, the best time to book a cruise is when sailings are just released (think around May timeframe). We even booked in Dec 2014 for April 2016 and our cruise has increased by $1500 last month.

I don't know US geography but obviously if you can drive to a port vs flying, that's a good money saver. (Not an option for ourselves)

Here are the things I have learned after LOTS of research, 5 cruises (6th one in DEC-I am a newbie to this compared to most of you! :) ):

1. Best prices come either during wave season which is AUG-OCT

2. If there is a specific cruise you want check when the final payment is due (usually 70 days before) and check back to book then. While you do risk a sell out for a particular cabin you may have in mind many great "last min" rates happen then!

3. Inside is cheapest for sure-esp if you let the cruise line choose your room.

4. The Bahamas always seems to be the cheapest routes and itineraries including more exotic places like Aruba are more expensive (if you are doing US based cruises on the East coast)

5. Join some FB groups for cruise lines and people often post when certain price drops occur. Just be okay with all the FB drama! :) lol!

Our best price by far was the Carnival Liberty in November last year. 5 days over Thanksgiving to Nassau, Freeport and Half Moon Cay (although we never go to dock there due to the winds :( ). We paid $1075 for everything for 3 of us-2 adults and a teen in an 8th floor balcony- Carnival chose it. We booked during a special sale around Halloween. We recently moved to NCL as there price for our recent cruise in May (7 days Caribbean) was cheaper than the Breeze believe it or not! Plus we got 7 days in lieu of 6 and a free drink package. We REALLY like the UBP perk now so I think that will be the route we choose from now on. We have also done balconies the last 4 cruises and I honestly don't think we could go back to an inside or OV, IMHO. :)