Semi LIVE Review:Oasis of the Seas - June 21, 2014 - Western Caribbean

Just curious, what were some of your favorite MDR items you tasted?

I typically don't like to look at the menus ahead of a cruise, because I enjoy it in the moment of "what can I have tonight?".... but the menu you posted, I was salivating! :)

Hi TravelBug08: I have to say this cruise I really enjoyed every meal. We ate more dinner meals in the Windjammer this time than usual and I like that because you get to choose exactly what you want. But I really like being served at dinner time. Our show schedule sometimes made it impossible to eat in the MDR though.

This was my favorite MDR menu item this time. I actually had it a couple times. The scallop augratin. Think Escargot but with scallops. YUMMY!!!!

14364562768_b3c311d6f8_c.jpg

More Food Pics. YUMMY!!!

Thanks megacruiser. I think they are from 150 Central Park.

Well, onto the Grilled Tuna that I expected would disappoint - but far from it.

DSCF5585_zps0b0ae963.jpg

This was probably the highlight of the meal. How do they keep tuna that fresh? This was cooked to perfection. Overcooking tuna is one of the worst culinary faux pas. A minute too long can change perfection into disaster. This dish was superb. Everything worked well together. I wouldn’t normally think a red wine reduction would be appropriate but nothing jarred; it was fantastic…

The Beef Two Ways would have been faultless had the Tenderloin been a little bit more tender than it was.

DSCF5587_zps921ec54f.jpg

The soft texture of the Short Rib was spot on, much as it was at the first meal; and the two together were a very good combination.

The Chocolate pudding is described as a tart but was more of a dense, but not heavy, sponge…

150Chocolatepud_zps40c32b7b.jpg

…rich and intense chocolate with inspired accompaniments of spiced pecans and tangy cranberry chutney with its sour notes acting as a counterpoint to both the sponge and the salted caramel sauce and uniting the individual components into a perfectly balanced dish. Exquisite.

Overall my verdict is that if you try only one menu you would more than likely be impressed. Depending on your personal preferences, you may favour one over the other. I rated Menu 1 as 9.5 and Menu 2 as 8.5. If I only had Menu 2, I would still have rated it the best meal ever at sea.

So just to restate, 150 Central Park is surely the biggest bargain at sea for all genuine good food lovers.

150 Central Park Menu

Thanks to megacruiser. Please check out his review. It has some great pictures and commentary.

DSCF5562_zpse19d6b51.jpg

I was welcomed back to 150 Central Park and was served again by the same waiter, Momcilo Zdravkovic from Serbia, as I had so appreciated his excellent and knowledgeable service the first time. Again he talked through everything in detail and I recorded it on my iPhone with the intention of transcribing it, but, typically, I am having difficulty accessing the menu to find the individual recordings… technology!

SCAN0001_zps9efc4cba.jpg

Let me start by saying if I hadn’t had the previous meal here I would no doubt be raving about this one in just the way I did with the first. However it is inevitable that comparisons are made, but do bear in mind that the first meal would have scored nine and a half from me, so the standard was unbelievably high.

DSCF5563_zps610aff78.jpg

DSCF5565_zps0b584b05.jpg

DSCF5566_zps18b0cb32.jpg

More 150 Central Park Food . Thanks again megacruiser.

The starter of Borek Farms Carrots was of a similar theme to the Beets starter of the first visit. This time it was homemade ricotta cheese rather than rabiola. As before, these carrots, done four ways, make you think of the main ingredient in a different way. The true freshness and depth of flavour that comes from only the finest produce grown for flavour; not for speed, appearance or low cost.

DSCF5572_zps57f84a93.jpg

I sometimes go to a nearby farm shop for “dirty” carrots that we don’t get in the supermarkets in the UK. They are caked in the soil they were grown in. They are not washed under high pressure to remove the dirt and half the flavour. Gently washing them under a tap reveals a much more intense deep orange hue, and the flavour bears little relation to supermarket varieties...

Back to this starter, in a similar way, this humble carrot combination of textures is far removed from the mundane. The whole dish was delicious. I felt the Beets starter had the slight edge because of the citrus element that added an extra counterbalancing sharpness whereas this dish had a more savoury component to complete it.

The Potato Leek soup was delicate and understated compared to the Butternut Squash soup.

DSCF5578_zpsfd806f72.jpg

As you take a spoonful the initial impression is, yes very pleasant; then as it leaves the tongue the subtlety of it becomes apparent as layers of flavour come through. The caviar was a nice touch and was not overpowered by the soup; the saltiness and texture of the caviar and the crunch from the potato crisp just lifted the soup from being very good to rather special. The Butternut Squash, though, would win again by a short head.

The Beet and Goat Cheese Tortellini, although I enjoyed it, did not blow me away.

DSCF5581_zps12ffe5a4.jpg

Again no particular fault with it; the combination on this occasion could, for me, have used more acidity from the beets to offset the goat’s cheese. A lot of this is down to personal preference of course. I am sure others would have thought it was a perfect combination just as was...

Day 6 Cozumel

We've been to Cozumel soooooo many times. I kinda wanted to go to the beach but didn't want to go alone. Ms. Rosalee had decided to make this a spa day and not even venture off the ship. I had not made plans with any one of the folks we had met onboard so I just got off the ship and shopped in the area right there at the pier. It is a relatively new area and although there are plenty of shops there are still many vacant ones.

14517679044_80ba75350b_c.jpg

14495991876_bc0fccbae1_c.jpg

14332439670_fe9f869422_c.jpg

Carnival Paradise was parked there too:

14332434720_d111396c38_c.jpg

Cozumel has two cruise ship piers. We were parked at the International Pier.

14515710671_5be080beb5_c.jpg

Next up Señor Frogs at the International Cruise terminal.

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Thank you, Ms. Lillie, great review! We were on the Allure in March . Loved it! I think we were spoiled by her!

You are welcome pinkroses. Thanks for riding with a Sistah!!! :cool:

Hope you will come back.

I know. Her and her sister are known to do that to people. :D

Oasis Day 6 Cozumel Señor Frogs International Pier.

You don't have to go far to visit this Cruiser favorite. Wish I could post some of the video I took. Folks had a ball at this wonderful little spot right on the pier.

14539203813_bb6077424a_c.jpg

14517685864_8e807d568a_c.jpg

14332643007_b8bbde553d_c.jpg

14515708101_4b1ed36df9_c.jpg

14332435850_2a9ebd4cdf_c.jpg

Oasis Day 6 Cozumel Señor Frogs and shopping International Pier.

At Señor Frogs you will get great music and be ready to play games (with alcohol of course :D). All in the name of fun!!!

The shopping at the Cozumel International Pier was pretty good. Your basic souvenir type items, jewelry, some stores that specialize in certain items like leather or handbags etc. One thing I noticed is that for same item in most stores price was the same but sometimes I saw an item that I was interested in and the price difference was significant between stores. Best to look around first then decide. The area is not that big. I was only out for a couple of hours or so and I must have walked it 3 times. We even had a short deluge of rain that stopped me for a while.

Thanks to cruiser Radio for these wonderful shots.

TH48-vi.jpg

TH49-vi.jpg

TH19-vi.jpg

DSC00846-vi.jpg

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Oasis Day 6,Cozumel additional info - Chankanaab Nature Park Beach, Mr. Sanchos, Paradise Beach, Playa Palanca, Money Bar

Discovered these threads in my search for additional info on Cozumel. Cruise Critic Cruisers ROCK!!!!!

Cruise Critic threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2081745

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2082978

These CCer supplied great info and links to a variety of beach options in Conzumel:

If cheap is the most important criteria in your search for a beach day, then:

1)Paradise Beach with $3 fee for loungers and food/drink purchase and additional fee for water toys.

http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/

2)Mr. Sanchos ala carte side. (smaller pool than AI side, same beach)

http://www.mrsanchos.com/mr-sanchos-all-inclusive-cozumel.html

3)Playa Palancar which is free, but the furthest from the pier, so a $20 cab ride, versus $17 to the closer beach clubs.

http://www.buceopalancar.com/index_en.html

4)Money Bar which has a tiny rocky beach that is the best free choice if you want to shore snorkel. (but not a huge sandy beach like the other clubs)

http://www.moneybarbeachclub.com/

Hope that helps start your hunt.

Paradise Beach and Mr. Sanchos will be about a $16-17+tip cab ride each way; the fare covers up to 4 in a cab, so pair up with other cruisers to save $$ :cool:

Cab fare to the Money Bar will be about $10+tip each way (again, for up to 4 in a cab) - great place to relax and snorkel, but no real beach. Your call.

I've never been but this is what other CCers have to say about Chankanaab Nature Park Beach comparing it to Paradise Beach and Mr Sanchos:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038613&highlight=paradise

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Enjoyed your review and photo's.

PathfinderEss I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for taking the time to post something. Matter-of-fact thanks to everyone who have taken the time to post something. It is greatly appreciated.

Please stay along for the ride. Plenty more to come. :cool:

Oasis Day 6 Cozumel options-Chankanaab Nature Park Beach

In case you need more info for Cozumel ...remember this one currently has a $20 entrance fee

Thanks to cruiser Radio for the pics.

TH41-vi.jpg

TH37-vi.jpg

DSC00912-vi.jpg

DSC00923-vi.jpg

TH45-vi.jpg

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Cruise Critic Cruiser Radio had so many wonderful pictures of Chankanaab Nature Park Beach that I couldn't resist posting more.

Oasis Day 6 Cozumel options-Chankanaab Nature Park Beach continued

Thanks to cruiser Radio for the pics.

TH27-vi.jpgMG]

DSC00928-vi.jpg

Sea Lion Show at Chankanaab Nature Park Beach

DSC00951-vi.jpg

TH47-vi.jpg

Sample Oasis Day 5 Cruise Compass

This was a sea day....we spent a lot of time exploring the ship some more, lounging (I love the BIG chairs in the Solarium), checking out the Art Auction (Ms. Rosalee loves those things and I tagged along) and also had a galley tour this day. I will post pics from the galley tour and also I believe the Helipad Sailaway was on Day 4 so I will post those pics as well...

Hope you will stay along for the ride...

Thanks to cruiser megacruiser for the Day 5 Compass....

Here is Day 5 Cruise Compass.

SCAN0001_zps2ce9bcab.jpg

SCAN0002_zpse913474e.jpg

SCAN0003_zps0b965962.jpg

SCAN0004_zps4b1b776f.jpg

SCAN0005_zps5901c9cb.jpg

SCAN0006_zps11df864b.jpg

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

While I think about the commentary for the Helipad Event here are some wonderful Oasis Videos to peruse...I must caution though they are so good that I must add a SPOILER ALERT...:p :D

Spoiler Alert....Video Tours of Oasis...these are really really good ones....

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Ok, just wondering. Did any one watch the Oasis Videos I posted here yesterday or are the 400+ new clicks just people who came on and read my wonderful postings?

If you watched the videos please be so kind as to post your thoughts.

Are you a newbie and the videos have you more excited than ever?

Are you a pro with RCCL but have never been on the Sister Ships and now you want to go on the Oasis ASAP?

Did you see your favorite spot(s) in the videos?

We need to hear from you!

Oasis Day 3, Helipad Experience

Oops, the Helipad Sailaway Event was actually on day three. Previously I said it was on day four.

It was a Crown and Anchor event I believe for Diamond and above. It was a champagne event and one of many opportunities for drinks at a price we all can afford ..... FREE!

Even though I had received invitations to the Helipad on previous cruises this was the first time I took advantage of it. It was a huge disappointment in that it did not carry the fanfare that I had expected. Yes, the champagne was flowing. Yes, King Lemere from DreamWorks was present. Yes, there were a lot of people there. Yes, the Captain blew the whistle on our command but, somehow it just didn't do it for me.

There was no tickertape, there were no balloons, there were no little tiny crêpe paper thingies falling from the sky, there were no petit feurs and there was no brief appearance by the Captain

It was windy and hot and after about five minutes I was ready to go.

The host of the event mentioned that it's not even safe to be on the helipad and while I do appreciate the fact that we were allowed to do so if I were the event planner I would've had an area inside that could accommodate a few things to make the experience a little more exciting.

I understand on Oasis a trip to the Helipad is by invitation only so this is not meant to make me sound ungrateful. I am thankful for the invite. These are just my observations and commentary about the experience. Anyway I did get some nice pictures. The one of the forward windows is one of my favorites.

14320258688_f33eae129f_c.jpg

14364562799_bf591ec47a_c.jpg

14549620564_78b56704ed_c.jpg

14505736022_dd393cd4fb_c.jpg

14364724187_00c659bc15_c.jpg

14550266562_86344a7a6c_c.jpg

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Oasis Day 3, Helipad Experience Continued

A few more....

14528098336_5e25bfd9c7_c.jpg

One of the Royal Dancers accompanied King Lemere to the Helipad Sailaway Event. I just love the collar on her top!

14364581088_a114716a36_c.jpg

Thanks to cruiser At Sea 4Ever for theses shots:

We had received an invitation for a sail away party on the helipad today at 4 o'clock. Every sail away on the helipad in the past had always requested smart casual wear and in my opinion that seemed kind of silly in the afternoon. This party however was listed as beach casual which seemed more realistic. Since my DH loves to video and take pictures from the helipad on every ship he went by himself. I chose to stay in the pool.

imagejpg1_zps226551f9.jpg

A view from the Helipad

imagejpg5_zps1bdda292.jpg

imagejpg8_zps13d4c142.jpg

imagejpg2_zps6a198141.jpg

Gotta love the pier runners

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/QUOTe]