Semi LIVE Review:Oasis of the Seas - June 21, 2014 - Western Caribbean

Oasis Cruise Compasses day 1 thru 5 for comparison

Oasis Cruise Compasses from marklodi

Day 1 thru 5 for comparison to the others I've posted

I'm type A so I research and research and take in as much info as I can and ask all the questions people will allow up to and including the time that I embark. :D so finding different sail dates of cruise compasses for me is like Godiva Chocolate to a Chocolate lover.

For newbies: you can use the search at the top of the thread to find the previous days of Cruise. Compasses that I posted.

Besides some of the shows what are the differences that you have found between the February Compasses and the ones for May?

Hello and welcome to our trip report for our May 2014 vacation on the Oasis of the Seas.

Cruise Compass Boarding Day Edition (5/10/14) - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...-%20051014.pdf

Cruise Compass Day 1 (5/10/14 - Western) - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...-%20051014.pdf

Cruise Compass Day 2 (5/11/14 - Western) - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...-%20051114.pdf

Cruise Compass Day 3 (5/12/14 - Western) - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...-%20051214.pdf

Cruise Compass Day 4 (5/13/14 - Western) – https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...-%20051314.pdf

Cruise Compass Day 5 (5/14/14 - Western) – https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...-%20051414.pdf

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Ms. Lillie,

I never had any desire to go on any of the mega ships...until I started reading your review!!! Your great review and pictures make me think I would actually like it. My husband is also starting to be convinced after I showed him some of your pictures.

One question, does it still have that ship feel? I have been worried that I would feel like I was at the mall.

Thanks for taking all the time it takes to write one of these! You've been keeping me entertained! :)

Ms. Lillie,

I never had any desire to go on any of the mega ships...until I started reading your review!!! Your great review and pictures make me think I would actually like it. My husband is also starting to be convinced after I showed him some of your pictures.

One question, does it still have that ship feel? I have been worried that I would feel like I was at the mall.

Thanks for taking all the time it takes to write one of these! You've been keeping me entertained! :)

Hi hayesktrm thanks so much for coming along for the ride and for your wonderful words. They have truly encouraged me to continue.

There are so many places where you can see the ocean that you won't have any problem knowing you are on a cruise ship. Sit in the Solarium with it's wrap around floor to ceiling and beyond windows. Walk on the Boardwalk to the Aqua Theatre. Go to the Sports and Pool deck. Check out the Sky Bar on the top Deck. And the mall feeling is only on the Royal Promenade.

hayesktrm this is for you:

Oasis Solarium

Thanks to cruiser Radio for theses beautiful pics.

SU19-vi.jpg

SU20-vi.jpg

SU27-vi.jpg

DSC01155-vi.jpg

Speaking of Boardwalk and Aqua Theatre

Oasis Boardwalk and Aqua Theatre

Thanks Cruiser Radio

S26-vi.jpg

How Radio got this one I don't know.

SU28-vi.jpg

SU29-vi.jpg

S29-vi.jpg

S34-vi.jpg

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Those pictures of the solarium look like heaven! My DH is having a difficult time getting over the carousel. He says it's just not right. I told him we don't have to go on it. He said, yes, but it's still there, lol. I think after I show him the beautiful pictures of the solarium I'll have him convinced.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Those pictures of the solarium look like heaven! My DH is having a difficult time getting over the carousel. He says it's just not right. I told him we don't have to go on it. He said, yes, but it's still there, lol. I think after I show him the beautiful pictures of the solarium I'll have him convinced.

Hi disneynut1966 that is too funny about your DH. LOL. I can understand him feeling that way but once he sees how it just fits with the theme of the Boardwalk Neighborhood it will make more sense to him. Ask him what he thinks about a bowling alley on a cruise ship. I'm thinking NCL Breakaway should be his next stop after Oasis. ;)

I just love your name. We are Disney Nuts as well. And I see you have sailed Disney. Did you ever sail on the Big Red Boat years ago that had Disney Characters? That was a fun line.

Thanks so much for posting. It is greatly appreciated. Please be sure to stay along for the ride. Plenty more to come. :D. :cool:

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

No, we never went on the Big Red Boat, but I always thought it looked like fun. I think they went bankrupt right before we got the cruise bug.

Can't wait to hear more about your cruise!

Yeah, I think it was called Premier Cruiselines. They switched to Looney Tunes when Disney decided they wanted to go into the cruise business and I guess they couldn't make a go of it. Those ships were I believe maybe 40,000 tons. WOW!!! What a difference compared to Oasis. :D

Thanks for sticking with a Sistah, DN1966! Let me know if you have any questions or need any more pics for DH.

Yeah' date=' I think it was called Premier Cruiselines. They switched to Looney Tunes when Disney decided they wanted to go into the cruise business and I guess they couldn't make a go of it. Those ships were I believe maybe 40,000 tons. WOW!!! What a difference compared to Oasis. :D

Thanks for sticking with a Sistah, DN1966! Let me know if you have any questions or need any more pics for DH.[/quote']

That was our first ever cruise, and we had a blast! It made us want to cruise again, although we did have to wait over 10 years until we could go again. As far as waiters and room stewards go - we have never had any since that compared to those on that first cruise. Talk about going above and beyond! Our 10 yo DD got sick with strep throat and our room steward sent us out to dinner while he "baby sat". He set her up with a Disney movie and drinks and planted himself outside our cabin door guarding her like the soldiers at the tomb of the unknown. About every 15 minutes my DH and I took turns coming back to check on her and he never left his spot. Once we checked her to find her with a huge coffee pot of chicken noodle soup (the only thing she wanted to eat) and a swan shaped cream puff. Our waiter had it sent to her while we were eating. The ship doctor loaded her with antibiotics and by the next day her fever was gone and she was able to leave the cabin, with the doctor's permission. We spent a quiet day in Nassau with a glass bottom boat tour and a buggy ride. She loved all the attention. The doctor gave her 10 days of antibiotics and she was on them through our 6 days at WDW after that. The total doctor bill was $25. Times have certainly changed!

And yes, we were docked next to a Carnival ship in Nassau. I'm not sure which one it was, but I am sure it was small by today's standards. I remember how big it was compared to the Premier ship we were on (the Atlantic, I believe). It would look like a dingy on the Oasis, I'm sure! We could have probably fit the entire ship inside of the Oasis' boardwalk.:D

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

That was our first ever cruise, and we had a blast! It made us want to cruise again, although we did have to wait over 10 years until we could go again. As far as waiters and room stewards go - we have never had any since that compared to those on that first cruise. Talk about going above and beyond! Our 10 yo DD got sick with strep throat and our room steward sent us out to dinner while he "baby sat". He set her up with a Disney movie and drinks and planted himself outside our cabin door guarding her like the soldiers at the tomb of the unknown. About every 15 minutes my DH and I took turns coming back to check on her and he never left his spot. Once we checked her to find her with a huge coffee pot of chicken noodle soup (the only thing she wanted to eat) and a swan shaped cream puff. Our waiter had it sent to her while we were eating. The ship doctor loaded her with antibiotics and by the next day her fever was gone and she was able to leave the cabin, with the doctor's permission. We spent a quiet day in Nassau with a glass bottom boat tour and a buggy ride. She loved all the attention. The doctor gave her 10 days of antibiotics and she was on them through our 6 days at WDW after that. The total doctor bill was $25. Times have certainly changed!

And yes, we were docked next to a Carnival ship in Nassau. I'm not sure which one it was, but I am sure it was small by today's standards. I remember how big it was compared to the Premier ship we were on (the Atlantic, I believe). It would look like a dingy on the Oasis, I'm sure! We could have probably fit the entire ship inside of the Oasis' boardwalk.:D

Wow Ginny DD was treated like a Disney Princess! :D And $25 for the doctor bill?!! :eek: oh yeah those were the good ol days. Lol.

Thanks for sharing that wonderful story.

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Oasis Deck 5 Royal Promenade

The Royal Promenade is where a lot happens on Oasis. On this deck you have Guest Services, shopping, several bars and restaurants. Also, the parades take place on this deck, the 70's show and this is the deck where the Captain holds his cocktail party.

I love the little sandwiches at the Cafe Promenade and it's nice to stop in for a slice of pizza before turning in at night. For some reason Cafe Promenade never had my little egg salad sandwiches but there were plenty of other choices to enjoy. You can also get wonderful desserts here. All this for a price we all can afford. FREE!

Megacruiser does a great job on his pictorial tour of the promenade. Hang in as this will require about 6 or more post to really get it sell in.

B

Oasis Deck 5 part 1

Deck 5

Before continuing with the day-by-day review let’s pause and have a look what Deck 5 has to offer.

Day4Interiors055_zps4da7a4fc.jpg

Opus 5 MyTime Dining is all the way aft, to the left. The Opal Theatre upper level is all the way forward to the right.

I will guide you along the Royal Promenade and back again. I will start at Guest Services near the Rising Tide bar on the left hand side of the plan and work my way down the port side to On Air at the forward elevators, then return up the starboard side to the Champagne Bar near the aft elevators.

Day5Oasis008_zps957fc241.jpg

The trademark "car on the prom" looking aft to Regalia, Guest Services and Cafe Promenade.

Day4Interiors032_zps39efb231.jpg

Guest Relations

CafePromenade_zps421c1889.jpg

Cafe Promenade

BoradwalkandSnacks009_zps71abfcd9.jpg

Favourite afternoon snack from Café Promenade

Ham, cheese and tomato croissant. They seem to have been around forever, as I had my first one on the Voyager in the last millennium! Still why change a wining formula when they are still as delicious as ever. It's the moistness that makes them so good. Oh, and a choc chip cookie… ;)

Oasis Deck 5 Part 2

Cupcake Cupboard is where you can purchase the cupcake of the day or take a class to decorate one of your own.

Thanks again to megacruiser.

CUPCAKEDOWNABDCAR_zps1bd6253b.jpg

Cupcake Cupboard

CUPCAKEENT_zps0c446a7e.jpg

BoradwalkandSnacks004_zps9dce05fc.jpg

Didn’t indulge, but looked delightful. :)

GLOBEOUTSIDEUP_zps768d3b97.jpg

Globe and Atlas pub. Look on the plan – why so small?

Day5Oasis027_zps8a4096a7.jpg

Inside Globe and Atlas looking out towards the seating outside on the Promenade.

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Oasis Deck 5 Royal Promenade part 3

More pics of Sorrentos where you can make your own pizza. Will have pics of some of the choices later.

I love sitting outside of Globe and Atlas especially in the evening. Great place to people watch and hear some live music.

On Air is a venue that is used for a variety of things. Follow the ticker tape to locate it. The happenings in this venue include Karaoke. Be sure to check your Cruise Compass for times if interested in participating or just watching the show.

Thanks again to megacruiser for the pics.

Next is a view from above the Globe and Atlas across to Sorrento’s opposite and along the promenade forward. Note the borrowed daylight from Central Park, three stories above. It floods in though the abstract shaped glass protrusions that are like elongated triangular dipyramids; well that is my best guess anyway… if you know what shape they are, please do tell!

Day5Oasis018_zps9dc13bea.jpg

SHOPSONPROMENADE_zpse5abd60b.jpg

Shops between the pub and On Air

DSCF5359_zps42a0603d.jpg

On Air Karaoke bar

DSCF5608_zpsda2e50b4.jpg

A very popular venue, perhaps should be bigger?

I have heard a lot of questions about Coke Freestyle Machines. They are just beside the forward elevators on the starboard side. I also saw them in the Windjammer.

DSCF5029_zpsa2257737.jpg

DSCF5642_zpsb011de3a.jpg

The illuminaated panel changes to allow your selection to be made.

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Oasis Deck 5 Royal Promenade Part 4

Boleros the Latin Club was always jumping. Every night. They also give salsa dance lessons. Check your cruise compass.

I am not usually an art auction person but Ms Rosalee is and so I did pay more attention to it this time than usual. Usually I just go for the free print and the champagne. :D. This time I actually paid attention and learned a couple of things. The art gallery is actually in Central Park on deck eight but they hold the auctions in Boleros during the day.

Megacruiser also got some wonderful shots of the tickertape outside of On Air which is right across from Boleros.

Thanks again to megacruiser for the wonderful pics.

JanFeb14090_zps9ce4c8d9.jpg

Boleros Latin Bar

BOLEROSART_zps87b1d2c0.jpg

It often seemed to be in use for Art Auctions...

STARBUCKSPROMFROMDIAMOND_zpsadbc1301.jpg

In the middle of the Promenade between On Air and Boleros is a Starbucks Coffee franchise.

Starbucks_zpsd7f60617.jpg

DSCF5295_zps6637170c.jpg

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Oasis Deck 5 Royal Promenade Part 5.

Various views of the wonderful Sorrentos. You can choose already made pizza or make your own from a variety of toppings. All at a price anyone can afford. FREE!! Try different ones and find your fav.

You will also see in the picture a view of the Clock Tower. You go here to make reservations for shore excursions, ask questions and if you need to check on your show reservations. The center area of the promenade is where you will always find some kind of sale going on from the Shops. There are sales daily and they will be listed in the Cruise Compass or you will be notified in your cabin.

Below is a view of the outside of Globe and Atlas. As I stated before this is a wonderful place for people watching. Also, this is a great place to watch the parades that come down the Royal Promenade. Check your Cruise Compass for Parade times and be sure to arrive early as these seats get taken rather quickly.

Does anyone remember that the Oasis class was once the Genesis class? See the picture below...

To me the Champagne Bar is one of the most under utilized bars on the ship. Not sure why as it has great bartenders, wonderful ambiance and oh yeah a variety of tasty champagnes.

Thanks again to megacruiser for the wonderful pics.

SORRENTOTREE_zpse47bd018.jpg

Sorrento’s, Globe and Atlas and The Clock Tower

SORRENTOGLOBEDINE_zps9abd1e2e.jpg

Sorrento’s is opposite the Globe and Atlas and you can sit outside each of them on the Promenade.

SORRENTOANDDECORATORS_zps22091ae2.jpg

Manikins as Art.

BoradwalkandSnacks006_zps2d2a63c1.jpg

Sorrento’s has a good variety of pizzas that change daily.

REGALIACHAMPAGNE_zps215b4145.jpg

Shops

Champagnebar_zps85de9472.jpg

Champagne Bar

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Oasis Sorrentos Deck 5 Royal Promenade

some of the Toppings for Make your own Pizza

YUMMY!!!

14550243642_09284893cc_c.jpg

14364726547_687ab38da7_c.jpg

14364516560_b8650530a7_c.jpg

14364516600_5af47568a6_c.jpg

Or choose the ready made...a great option after a night out dancing

14364726517_edbc43a4fd_c.jpg

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Oasis Deck 5 Royal Promenade Part 6

The Rising Tide Bar and Fountains

Rising Tide Bar "rises" from Deck 5 (by Guest Services) and goes all the way up to Central Park on Deck 8. It is not open all the time. Check your Cruise Compass for opening times. It travels very slowly. I call it the S3 as it is one of those bars where you sit, sip and enjoy the scenery.

There is also a wonderful fountain show that appears at various times.

Thanks again to megacruiser for the pics. These are beautiful.

Fountains below Rising Tide Bar. During daytime it mostly remains parked on the Central Park access level.

risingtidehalflong_zps1a538f19.jpg

Going down

risingtidehalfside_zps651480f1.jpg

Keep going

CARANTIDE_zps79062507.jpg

Almost there

TIDEDOWNPOUR_zps45aa902f.jpg

A variety of fountain displays appear at various times. How do they achieve that downpour? :confused:

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Oasis Deck 5 rises to Deck 8 Rising Tide Bar

More Rising Tide Bar and Fountains

We love riding a couple of times up and down each cruise. It's interesting to see the people coming and going and getting a different vibe each trip.

1_rp_rising.jpg

4929852565_a6d52bc8f3_z.jpg

oasis_of_the_seas_pictures_03.jpg

This is how it looks when it is in Central Park on Deck 8. look closely behind the windows and you will be able to see it.

oasis-of-the-seas-rising-tide-walk.jpg

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Oasis Parades

One thing that I really like that takes place on the Royal Promenade are the parades. Check your Cruise Compass four times which could be during the day or in the evening. We have found that the best place to view the parade is from the Schooner Bar. Comfy seating, no one standing in front of you if you get there early enough. And oh yeah, easy to order your beverage of choice.

But if you'd like to be in the thick of things down on the floor then just be sure that you get to your area early.

Move It Move It Parade

Thanks cruiser Radio.

S38-vi.jpg

W21-vi.jpg

Thanks to other cruisers

Dreamworks Parade

oasis-of-the-seas-parade-lion.jpg

oasis-of-the-seas-parade-penguins.jpg

oasis-of-the-seas-puss-in-boots.jpg

Amazing pictures and review. Do you have detail photos of the Royal Family Suite? I'm so excited to sail on the Oasis next year!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks TripleU. Glad you are enjoying the ride. I love writing the reviews. Of course, I have had a lot of help with the pics. I like to search for others people's pics that I can show when I don't have any of my own or mine are limited. I just think pictures speak volumes when it comes to a ship.

I will definedtly look for some shots of the Royal Family Suite. You are going to have a wonderful time.

For now here are more parade pics from another cruiser.

15154172956_aec13ced26_c.jpg

15154177416_575d45a7e4_c.jpg

14998622970_94eceaf7ea_c.jpg

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Wonder how the list below will change with what they are now calling a "revitalization". Wonder how will the Seven neighborhoods be effected?

Facilities

Dining

18 restaurants

- International fine dining

- Speciality Steakhouse

- Speciality Italian restaurant

- Pizzeria

- Self-service buffet

- Asian-themed restaurant

- Speciality fine dining restaurant

- Speciality seafood restaurant

- American diner

- Cake and donut shops

- Coffee shop

- Five casual cafes

- Ice cream parlour

Entertainment

20 bars including

- Schooners Bar

- Rising Tide Bar

- Viking Crown Lounge

- Trellis Bar

- Champagne Bar

- Boleros

Theatre

Nightclubs

Show Lounges

Casino

Aquatheatre

Karaoke club

Relaxation

Vitality at Sea Spa

Adults-only Solarium

Beauty salon

10 Whirlpools

6 Swimming pools

Fitness

Vitality Fitness Centre

Gym

Sports courts

Jogging track

Other

Children's area

Video arcade

Two Flowrider surf machines

Ice-skating rink

Two Rock climbing walls

H2O Water park

Carousel

Dreamworks experience

Zip line

Mini golf course

Library

Duty-free shops

Art and photo gallery

Oasis Royal Family Suite

TripleU here is what I find in my research:

"The four Royal Family Suites on the Oasis of the Seas sleep eight and feature a master bedroom and bath and a guest room and private bath. Two Pullman beds are in the second bedroom. The Royal Family Suites also have a private balcony with outdoor dining and lounge area that seats four. The sofa can be converted to a double bed, and the and master bath has a tub. The Royal Family suite is 553-square-feet and its balcony is 238-square-feet."

It looks like a wonderful cabin! How many of you are sailing?

"For Oasis of the Seas & Allure of the Seas Suites, Except Junior Suites

Guests reserved in Suites and/or Diamond Plus members of the Crown & Anchor Society, may take advantage of the Concierge Lounge. Concierge Club guests receive complimentary service that provides assistance with any special requests they may have while sailing. As a Concierge Club guest, cruisers are offered amenities and services not available to other guests including:

A dedicated Concierge who is available to assist with anything you require.

24/7 use of the Concierge Club Lounge

Continental breakfast every morning and open bar & hors d’oeuvres every evening available in the Concierge Club Lounge

Assistance with specialty restaurant reservations

Assistance with Explorations! Bookings

Assistance booking appointments for Salon or Spa treatments

Priority tickets for the ice skating show

Assistance with the arrangement of private parties

Personalized Discover Shopping advice

DVDs and CDs available to borrow during the Concierge’s hours

Pre-ordering of dinner wine

Business services (faxing, copying, etc.)"

I found some pics too..hopefully post tomorrow

Edited by ILuvCruisin'