Pink Boas and Pirates commandeer Vision of the Seas to Bermuda!

Darkwolfe, thank you for your review - great photos too!

We are doing this itinerary in August. Could you please help with when the formal nights are? We love them and don't want to miss them, or miss any shows - but this cruise we want to try all the specialty restaurants and I need to book them so we don't miss the formal nights!

Also doing this trip in three August. Did the ferry run the orange route, dockyard to St Georges? It's closed on weekends but thought maybe they make exceptions with a ship in port?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

thank you so much for the review, WE LOVED it. We will be doing this same cruise September 1st. Getting excited now!

A few questions....

Charleston.. we want to do a dolphin tour.. did you see any at all? Best not to be missed tour?

Bermuda. Want to see the Moonarchs? did you see any? What about the lighthouse. Also there are a few great churchs.. any thoughts? Sea glass?

For those going on this same September cruise.. there is a place called John Watlings Distillery.. it's FREE with free samplings. Great place within walking distance (and I have old knees too!)

Thanks in advanced!

Sherri

Darkwolfe,

Was just introduced to your thread by others who are taking this cruise in weeks to come. I am so glad you had a good experience. We all look forward to a relaxing week at sea, and it's so nice to hear success stories.

A few questions if you don't mind.... I know that Bermuda is an hour ahead of us here on the east coast. Does the ship go by local time when docked on Bermuda? Do they leave at 3PM Bermuda time, or ship time, whatever that may be?

Also, do you recall the times of the shows? Wondering how to arrange our anytime seating for dinner. Anyone know where I can find the daily schedule for the shows?

And you might have already mentioned it, but best party place in Bermuda, for evening drinks and maybe a bit of dancing???????

I love that you saw a lemon shark in Cocoa Cay. Snorkeling? Where do I go and how do I get there. Do they have a tram, or you just walk to the end?

Thanks a heap for any info!

This ship goes to local time for all ports. Bermuda is the only port that's not on Eastern.

There will be two times for most shows, one for early seating and one for late.

Best party spot in Bermuda is going to be somewhat personal preference. I didn't notice any dancing, but you can't really go wrong with the Swizzle Inn. Easiest is the Bonefish right there at the pier. It gets good reviews as well.

Almost forgot, Snorkel Beach across the fort from the pier has a major party in the evenings. You may want to check that out too.

No tram seen at Coco Cay. If you head to the eastern end of the island you will be away from most of the crowds. We actually saw the critters over near Coconut Willies early in the day. Digordo (Excursions Mgr) said there's even a small hammerhead that shows up around the east end sometimes.

Darkwolfe, thank you for your review - great photos too!

We are doing this itinerary in August. Could you please help with when the formal nights are? We love them and don't want to miss them, or miss any shows - but this cruise we want to try all the specialty restaurants and I need to book them so we don't miss the formal nights!

Formal nights were on sea days. One the day after leaving Fort Lauderdale and the second after leaving Bermuda. Just about the best times to schedule those I think.

Also doing this trip in three August. Did the ferry run the orange route, dockyard to St Georges? It's closed on weekends but thought maybe they make exceptions with a ship in port?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I did not see any ferries running to St Georges. However, take the ferry to Hamilton and either the #3 or #11 bus will get you to St Georges relatively easily.

thank you so much for the review, WE LOVED it. We will be doing this same cruise September 1st. Getting excited now!

A few questions....

Charleston.. we want to do a dolphin tour.. did you see any at all? Best not to be missed tour?

Bermuda. Want to see the Moonarchs? did you see any? What about the lighthouse. Also there are a few great churchs.. any thoughts? Sea glass?

For those going on this same September cruise.. there is a place called John Watlings Distillery.. it's FREE with free samplings. Great place within walking distance (and I have old knees too!)

Thanks in advanced!

Sherri

We saw some dolphins in the harbor at Charleston. Taking the water taxis there is probably the easiest way to see them.

For me, exploring the Yorktown was a fairly big deal. However, not everybody is going to have my tastes in history. I typically don't do Civil War tours simply because I have had access to one of the largest collection of Civil War writings in the world (Hill College, Tx) and I don't want to be mentally correcting tour guides all the time. Or worse, getting annoyed with them.

So far as the distillery is concerned, it was not open when we were wandering the pier on Saturday and closed all day Sunday. We may have simply missed the Saturday hours, but double check those if you plan to go over there.

USS Yorktown CV-10

The Yorktown was the successor to CV-5 USS Yorktown that was sunk during the Battle of Midway.

USS Yorktown from the deck of the USS Laffey

10440207_10152457417357999_2002621438387690576_n.jpg

Hanger Deck

10354737_10152457420312999_9148707528413005373_n.jpg

Flight Deck

10421109_10152457422102999_8881928195630818282_n.jpg

Marine Armory

10414459_10152457421167999_5550007051748581126_n.jpg

I have a great many more detail shots of the ship's compartments, engine room, bridge and so forth. Feel free to hit the flickr sets link in my sig to find the entire album.

There was no way I couldn't share that last picture. Anybody that knows me knows that I have an interest in old military arms and the restoration of the same. I have a 1943 M1 Garand of my own restored to near mint condition with new, old stock parts. Every single one of the M1s in this photo appear to be in perfect condition. There are full enbloc clips on the shelves above that you can't see. It's like the Marine detachment stepped off the ship and left the rifles in the racks, ready for duty. But, never returned.

Got a kick out your Yorktown visit. 2 weekends ago my 2 1/2 year old triplet grandsons, who live in Charleston, got to explore her too. They loved the planes!!

738189316_7-18-2014-Yorktown2.jpg.80b4fb671664b4c86b6ff4cf4c74b727.jpg

1444390352_7-18-2014-Yorktown5.jpg.5d7e556a84bbe64761014b8929273ce9.jpg

Hi WOLFGAR 28, GF and Mimi...............just happened on to your site and want to thank you for your pics and comments. Am leaving on Sept. 1st trip on Vision to Bermuda and it was great to find out these things. One question though, what amenities are there in the baths? I have read different comments some saying that there is no shampoo or lotion, just bathwash. It would be helpful to us ladies to know these things ahead of time. Also, please advise when the next Pink Boas cruise is if you know. It sounds like a group that I would love to be with as I also like to have fun. I always say that there are no strangers in the world, just friends I haven't met yet. Thanks again and Happy Cruising!

Hi WOLFGAR 28, GF and Mimi...............just happened on to your site and want to thank you for your pics and comments. Am leaving on Sept. 1st trip on Vision to Bermuda and it was great to find out these things. One question though, what amenities are there in the baths? I have read different comments some saying that there is no shampoo or lotion, just bathwash. It would be helpful to us ladies to know these things ahead of time. Also, please advise when the next Pink Boas cruise is if you know. It sounds like a group that I would love to be with as I also like to have fun. I always say that there are no strangers in the world, just friends I haven't met yet. Thanks again and Happy Cruising!

It was a pleasure to meet and cruise with darkwolf (David) and his family. As a Pink Boa Cruiser member I also want to thank him for putting us front and center on many of his posts and photos....thank you David :) The Port Bermuda and Port Everglades webcam are also huge supporters of our group and try their best to make sure they capture us at sail aways. Thank you PTZtv too.

We have many members now in Pink Boa Cruisers and if you would like to do the Pink Boa thing on your Vision to Bermuda please do after all Bermuda is the PINK island

The next big cruise for us is OASIS transatlantic, Quantum inaugural sailing on Nov 23 and a huge one on the Quantum April 12/15.

Many of our members are always cruising on many other ships too both RCI and other cruise lines. You are more than welcome to join in. :) :) Enjoy Bermuda a favourite of mine

Hi, love the photos and review.

I also have a 10:30 flight home. This will be my first time hauling my own luggage off the ship. Can you tell me where the walk-offs meet to be called to disembark, or will we be able to leave the ship from our cabin location? My concern is how much dragging 2 suitcases by myself I need to be prepared for. Thanks.

It was a pleasure to meet and cruise with darkwolf (David) and his family. As a Pink Boa Cruiser member I also want to thank him for putting us front and center on many of his posts and photos....thank you David :) The Port Bermuda and Port Everglades webcam are also huge supporters of our group and try their best to make sure they capture us at sail aways. Thank you PTZtv too.

We have many members now in Pink Boa Cruisers and if you would like to do the Pink Boa thing on your Vision to Bermuda please do after all Bermuda is the PINK island

The next big cruise for us is OASIS transatlantic, Quantum inaugural sailing on Nov 23 and a huge one on the Quantum April 12/15.

Many of our members are always cruising on many other ships too both RCI and other cruise lines. You are more than welcome to join in. :) :) Enjoy Bermuda a favourite of mine

Thanks for adding that in Emmy. There was no doubt that question was totally yours for the answering. :)

Hi, love the photos and review.

I also have a 10:30 flight home. This will be my first time hauling my own luggage off the ship. Can you tell me where the walk-offs meet to be called to disembark, or will we be able to leave the ship from our cabin location? My concern is how much dragging 2 suitcases by myself I need to be prepared for. Thanks.

We walked out of our cabin after breakfast and into the Centrum. Had a bit of a line around there, but we were off the ship and headed for the airport in less than 20 minutes.

I think Emmy took our picture while we were in the line too. Pretty sure we looked rather scruffy that morning.

We walked out of our cabin after breakfast and into the Centrum. Had a bit of a line around there, but we were off the ship and headed for the airport in less than 20 minutes.

I think Emmy took our picture while we were in the line too. Pretty sure we looked rather scruffy that morning.

Thanks for the quick response! That is going to work out perfectly for me! My cabin is on deck 4. Do you remember what deck did you exited the ship from?

Thanks for the quick response! That is going to work out perfectly for me! My cabin is on deck 4. Do you remember what deck did you exited the ship from?

Same deck. I typically book an outside cabin on Vision on deck 4. They are very convenient to the dining room and reasonably quiet.

I am also going on the Sept. 1st sailing to Bermuda! I want to be a pink boa cruiser!

To see Pink Boas and others in action, go here:

http://www.portevergladeswebcam.com/replay.php

Select Vision of the Seas June 9th 2014 and you can have a good laugh at our sailaway video. I'm the goof trying to hold the last banner down. It's getting some weights or tie-downs next time.

Wear your pink boa for your sailaway and I'm sure Emmy will happily welcome you to the ranks of the PBCs! :D

Same deck. I typically book an outside cabin on Vision on deck 4. They are very convenient to the dining room and reasonably quiet.

That's great news! It gives me another reason to be happy about booking my cabin on deck 4. I am so relieved that I won't have to schlep my luggage up and down stairs or elevators.

That's great news! It gives me another reason to be happy about booking my cabin on deck 4. I am so relieved that I won't have to schlep my luggage up and down stairs or elevators.

Well, if you board before 1pm you might have to drag your carry on bags to the Windjammer if you plan to have lunch aboard. But even at that, not hard.

With the docking setup at Fort Lauderdale right now, if the cabins are open when you board, you come off the gangway and either cut across the Centrum and turn right if you are on the starboard, or just hang a hard right if you are on port.

Doesn't get much easier!

Well, if you board before 1pm you might have to drag your carry on bags to the Windjammer if you plan to have lunch aboard. But even at that, not hard.

With the docking setup at Fort Lauderdale right now, if the cabins are open when you board, you come off the gangway and either cut across the Centrum and turn right if you are on the starboard, or just hang a hard right if you are on port.

Doesn't get much easier!

thankyou8.gif When sailing the Radiance class ships, we always book an oceanview on deck 4, Centrum. It's just so convenient. This will be my first time on the Vision.