I got Good News and I got Bad News...which do you want to read first?

R<3M2012

Update: well there's isn't much of an update still in negotiations. We haven't even begun to discuss my days off as I was informed that the position is with the companies business partner and my potential boss is trying to work out if I can stay under my current company. The lines are so blurred as to who works for who. Lately all of the new hirers are technically employees of the other company even though we work side by side. Even my potential boss works for the same company I work for currently. The whole process is confusing.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 5 weeks later...
I decided not to take the new position. There was NO compromise whatsoever on their part. I went down to asking just 3 weeks and that was rejected. Oh well guess I'll continue to cruise lol. Thank you all for your input.

I'm sure this was a difficult decision, with lots of different variables and options to consider. Congratulations on making a decision for YOU.

The fact that they refused to compromise on this important aspect of the job (one that would impact your quality of life) indicates that you did the right thing for you. Everyone needs time to recharge their batteries, and this particular job just didn't allow for that option. The position has got to be a good fit, or you'll lose on so many different levels.

Several years ago, I nursed my mother through her last days battling lung cancer. She worked hard all of her life, often racking up comp days and vacation time that she barely got the chance to use. She loved to cruise, and said she wished she had taken every opportunity she could to cruise, travel, visit new places and meet new people. It was the thing that made her happy, and she didn't get to do it enough. The look in her eyes as she spoke those words broke my heart.

Life is short. Go have fun, my friend! :D

I hear you completely! I'm an independent contractor. I can finagle 8-10 weeks a year off if I want. Unfortunately, I'm going nowhere on the career ladder. I've been in this position for 11 years and as far as general career advancement goes- that ship has sailed. I either stay where I am or "go out on my own" (I'm a lawyer).

I also hate to fly to cruises because I like to bring a couple of canvas bags of general "stuff" and I don't want to have to fit everything into a TSA-compliant suitcase. So I have had my fair share of days staying on the ship and looking at NASA off in the distance and thinking "oh whoopee, Port Canaveral, maybe a Disney ship will come in for excitement. Tomorrow Nassau. Yay. :rolleyes:"

The only thing I can say from my vantage point, that being: too late to make that switch to a law firm with two weeks vacation, ten hour days and 2-3 times the salary is I'M VERY GLAD I STAYED IN THIS JOB.

OMG, what is freedom but time off? What is the most valuable thing you can buy? Your life. I have friends who need to take personal days when their dog/kid/anyone gets sick. Half a personal day to renew a driver's license. A vacation day for the day after Christmas. It's insane.

At the same time, I am challenged in my position and feel like I'm doing a lot of good for the clients I represent. So if the content and quality of your job would really change drastically for the better, that's definitely an important variable.

Good luck!

It sounds like you made the right decision for you. I agree with whoever said if they were completely unwilling to budge on anything, that's not a good sign. Sometimes money isn't everthing.

I've been in my current job for 14 years next month. While its not the most exciting, or sometimes not that challenging, the benefits are worth the trade off. I get 4 weeks vacation, plus another 7 days PTO, so about 5.5 weeks off total, plus if I happen to use it all, I can take unpaid time, without approval. My health benefits are fabulous and cost me next to nothing, and there is a ton of flexibility. If its snowing out, I can simply email my boss and let him know I'm working from home. I rarely work OT or weekends.

My mom lives 8 hours from me. When my dad was sick, just before he passed away, they were wonderful about letting me go down to help out, wihtout taking any kind of leave, and working from there.

I also split holiday time off with my boss; i take before, he takes after, but sometimes I end up working after from her house. As long as it gets done, no one gives me any grief.

And yes, I could probably find another job paying more, which would alos allow me to quit my second job, but who's to say the rest of the "stuff" would be comparable? I know it wouldn't, which is why I stay put, at least for now.

It sounds to me as if the correct decision was made. When I was young (back before dirt was invented), I chased the impressive titles and nice salaries. Some would say I am a slow learner...as it took three scares, the first of which was very close to being the real thing...before I accepted that work does not measure my success and is not life. Family measures success and is the real happiness. Since then, decisions are a great deal easier to make.

[quote name='Laughing Angel']I'm sure this was a difficult decision, with lots of different variables and options to consider. Congratulations on making a decision for YOU.

The fact that they refused to compromise on this important aspect of the job (one that would impact your quality of life) indicates that you did the right thing for you. Everyone needs time to recharge their batteries, and this particular job just didn't allow for that option. The position has got to be a good fit, or you'll lose on so many different levels.

Several years ago, I nursed my mother through her last days battling lung cancer. She worked hard all of her life, often racking up comp days and vacation time that she barely got the chance to use. She loved to cruise, and said she wished she had taken every opportunity she could to cruise, travel, visit new places and meet new people. It was the thing that made her happy, and she didn't get to do it enough. The look in her eyes as she spoke those words broke my heart.

Life is short. Go have fun, my friend! :D[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dancinman66']I agree with others
Look at what's important to you in life

I chose to live life instead if money

This is your choice only

Enjoy and happy cruising either way

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/QUOTE]

They made my decision VERY EASY since they did not want to compromise. And after many discussions with my husband and my parents its important for me to value my time with my family. After all I am still considered to be a newly wed (I think lol:D) and we enjoy traveling. After looking over our finances having extra money isn't really necessary (would it have been nice...yes but not necessary)

We just got back from a cruise and I was such a happy camper at work (for the first few days now back to grumpy:))...having time away from that place really does a girl some good. Even if I don't go away per say just knowing that I have the time just to stay home and relax is nice.

[quote name='Seago2']
I also hate to fly to cruises because I like to bring a couple of canvas bags of general "stuff" and I don't want to have to fit everything into a TSA-compliant suitcase. So I have had my fair share of days staying on the ship and looking at NASA off in the distance and thinking "oh whoopee, Port Canaveral, maybe a Disney ship will come in for excitement. Tomorrow Nassau. Yay. :rolleyes:"

[/QUOTE]

LOLOLOLOLOL glad to know I'm not the only person who feels that way about Port Canaveral and Nassau LOLOLOL:D

[QUOTE=R<3M2012;43554424]LOLOLOLOLOL glad to know I'm not the only person who feels that way about Port Canaveral and Nassau LOLOLOL:D[/QUOTE]

LOL, and you absoluuuutely made the right choice.

I hear you... I work 12-hour overnight shifts too, but it's only 3 shifts per week, and I get a total of about 6 weeks of vacation a year. If I were to move to the day shift, it wouldn't change my salary (it would be just a lateral move) but it would allow me to possibly get on some more promotion paths. But I'd lose at least half that vacation time, plus I'd have to work 5 days a week - my job is already stressful enough that if I had to be in the office 5 days a week, I'd probably throw my computer out of the window and walk out. So I'll just stick with my vampire hours and go on cruises :)

You made the right decision as far as I am concerned! We know too many people who have put off travelling til they were completely retired, through paying for grandchildrens education etc etc and then something happens and they can't. We are both "Seniors" and still loving to travel..off to China in October, a cruise shortly after that, another in the spring..and we are both still working..however..my knee is no longer what it once was, he has more aches and pains..
I have always said "I would rather sit in the rocking chair on the front porch and say "I remember when I went hiking in Madagascar, cruising on the Nile,
saw the skiing in Dubai, than to say "I wish I HAD done those things"
Good for you!!
Sherry

[QUOTE=R<3M2012;43554525]Thank you all for you replies, comments and thoughts. See you on a future cruise![/QUOTE]

Initially I voted on taking the new position but since they have not compromised in the least, I agree you made the right decision for you.
Congrats, thanks for giving us the rest of the story and Happy Sailing! :)

[quote name='Illyria']I hear you... I work 12-hour overnight shifts too, but it's only 3 shifts per week, and I get a total of about 6 weeks of vacation a year. If I were to move to the day shift, it wouldn't change my salary (it would be just a lateral move) but it would allow me to possibly get on some more promotion paths. But I'd lose at least half that vacation time, plus I'd have to work 5 days a week - my job is already stressful enough that if I had to be in the office 5 days a week, I'd probably throw my computer out of the window and walk out. So I'll just stick with my vampire hours and go on cruises :)[/QUOTE]

Lolol I feel your pain! I don't even consider working OT on the day shift anymore it's so crazy. The atmosphere from the day and night shift is drastically different.

[quote name='Mexfolkart']You made the right decision as far as I am concerned! We know too many people who have put off travelling til they were completely retired, through paying for grandchildrens education etc etc and then something happens and they can't. We are both "Seniors" and still loving to travel..off to China in October, a cruise shortly after that, another in the spring..and we are both still working..however..my knee is no longer what it once was, he has more aches and pains..

I have always said "I would rather sit in the rocking chair on the front porch and say "I remember when I went hiking in Madagascar, cruising on the Nile,

saw the skiing in Dubai, than to say "I wish I HAD done those things"

Good for you!!

Sherry[/QUOTE]

I need to travel with you guys!