I got Good News and I got Bad News...which do you want to read first?

R<3M2012

[quote name='Grannycb']Ask if you can buy vacation days.[/QUOTE]

Quote=Really? I never heard of that. Have you done it, how does it work?= End Quote

DH was offered the option of buying two week increments of vacation time for an equal pay reduction spread over the year. The catch is you must use all the vacation days to satisfy IRS.

Ccc
[quote name='Bonnie J.']My daughter-in-law had been a vice president with her company for 10 years and got 5 weeks vacation each year. She changed jobs, more $$, better benefits but now only gets 2 weeks. My son also has a new job and this year only gets one week as a new employee. They both decided their new jobs were more important than vacation time.

Did she stay a Vice President? Curious. ....what kind of company doesn't give the VP good benefits? I guess I should count my blessings, Im retired and I just turned 60. I have LIFE TIME medical, dental, and prescription coverage.......im gonna wish everyone luck in their work situatins and hope you earn what you're worth and continue to cruise. Bon Voyage

oNE week![/QUOTE]

[quote name='cb at sea']Your income/retirement comes before vacations. Take the promotion.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. OP you also indicated you will be working in an emerging field with opportunities.
You need to think long term. In addition, 8 hour days will give you a better quality of life with your husband.
I had to work 10 years to earn 3 weeks vacation and I survived on one cruise a year.
Good luck on whatever you decide.

[quote name='Kartgv']If it's really important to you and you can't get extra weeks as paid time off, it might be worth asking about unpaid time off. At one point in my career after many years with the same company, I just couldn't do it any more (mainly the part that involved supervising too many people) and quit. After a few weeks gone from the job, the company decided it wanted me back. One of the things I asked for, and got, was an extra 4 weeks vacation a year which I was willing to take unpaid. My husband was a teacher and had the summers off, so this was very important to me. It made a huge difference in our lives.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the idea, unpaid time will be the last resort.

[quote name='OzKiwiJJ']Move to Australia where you get four weeks annual leave? :D [/QUOTE]

Ha trust me I have thought about. But I think I'll miss my family and friends. I'm 100% a daddies girl :D

[quote name='Grannycb']Quote=Really? I never heard of that. Have you done it, how does it work?= End Quote

DH was offered the option of buying two week increments of vacation time for an equal pay reduction spread over the year. The catch is you must use all the vacation days to satisfy IRS.[/QUOTE]

Oh ok, Thanks for explaining

[quote name='blkspy']What do you do?
What's the difference in Salary
The 8 weeks off... Does that include holidays?
12 hours a day---how many days do you work
8 hours a day--how many days do you work--5 days.

8 weeks off isnt really that much if you dont get holidays off....where I retired from....new employees get 4 weeks after 3 years and 12 holidays a year along with 2 personal days.
Also 12 paid sick days which carried over.

YES ITS A MUNICIPAL CITY UNION JOB :)

Time off with pay can not be matched. .....The funny thing about advancement opportunities is that you might not get one. The American Dream is a Financial one. If you will find fulfillment and more money....By all means take the job and move up the ladder if you can.

But im curious to what it is that you do.[/QUOTE]

I work for a major multi media company, the difference is about 20%. No the 8 weeks off does NOT include holidays. Only off if it falls on my regular scheduled days off I'm usually stuck working or filling in for OT. We do get paid extra for working then though, oh and the job buys us dinner. Work 5 day week. Exactly what I'm saying 8 weeks looks great on paper but not having any holiday off and just working the night shift period I can use an extra few weeks on top of that just to re-charge in some sun:) I can carry my vacation time over into the next year but my sick days are use or loose. If we don't use them we get a bonus check the following year...but I done the math works out better just to use the sick days.

Personally, I don't think a 20% increase in income would compensate for having only 2 weeks vacation. People say negotiate....this is 2014. There are tons of people out there who are working at jobs below their skill/education level. I don't think you will have much luck with that, because they'll find someone else to do that job, for even less money.

This is your life....my mother's famous last words were "it's only a job, don't take it so seriously". She was right. I think vacation time is much more important than an increase of 20%, which will be taxed of course. I think you should go with the job that will make your life the most satisfying, because life goes by FAST!! I wouldn't think about the increase in income. Think about what the job entails. Maybe you like working 12 hours, instead of 8, and not working as many days. Also, consider which job will give you less stress! Choose the job that will make your life the easiest and happy. It's not always about money.

If you do go for the job with the 20% increase, you seriously need to put that away in a 401K. Thank goodness DH did that, because our retirement lives would be completely different. He gets the credit...not me!

I'll throw in my situation from some time back... I work 12 hour rotating shifts. My schedule works out to 182 12 hour days/nights per year and with vacation factored in I work 160 days, 1920 hours, per year. I was once offered a Mon-Fri job with a decent pay increase that would be 226 8 hour days, 1808 hours, per year with vacation and holidays factored in. Thats 66 days different. Now, to make it an even longer story my round trip gas costs around $10 to get to work and home so that day job would cost me an extra $660 per year just to get there. With all factors considered I cherished my off time way more than a pay increase. I average 12 work days over a 4 week period. I feel like I'm semi-retired at 42 years old. And to top it all off 7 of my off days are in a row so that's like a weeks vacation without using vacation time.

So, none of that may help you decide but that's my story from a similar situation. I chose to stay with the position that afforded me the opportunity to have more leisure time.

I would try to negotiate, it can't hurt. Be diplomatic and ask if there is any way they would offer a third week of vacation. If they don't have another suitable candidate, they might be flexible.

[quote name='Grannycb']Quote=Really? I never heard of that. Have you done it, how does it work?= End Quote

DH was offered the option of buying two week increments of vacation time for an equal pay reduction spread over the year. The catch is you must use all the vacation days to satisfy IRS.[/QUOTE]

I'm in a position where you can't be guaranteed to get your vacation days. Because we have so many people on FMLA, the people who actually show up to work every day are not always about to take desired days off. One certainly could not count on getting 2 weeks in a row....

most of the people who buy PTO in my department are buying it to use for their call in/sick days.

[quote name='blackpool belle']Having been in conversation with lots of Americans during my cruises I am absolutely amazed that workers only get a measly 2 weeks holiday a year. I would stick with the 8.[/QUOTE]

Many of us enjoy a month or more per year. I was gone 4.5 weeks a few years ago and my boss, the news director, graciosly offered to do my job so that I could go to Australia and Southeast Asia. Edited by Bookish Angel

[quote name='Bookish Angel']Many of us enjoy a month or more per year. I was gone 4.5 weeks a few years ago and my boss, the news director, graciosly offered to do my job so that I could go to Australia and Southeast Asia.[/quote]

Reading the comments of others on here you appear to be the exception to the rule and in the minority.

[quote name='Mytime2014']I'm in a position where you can't be guaranteed to get your vacation days. Because we have so many people on FMLA, the people who actually show up to work every day are not always about to take desired days off. One certainly could not count on getting 2 weeks in a row....

most of the people who buy PTO in my department are buying it to use for their call in/sick days.[/QUOTE]

Oh im sorry to here that...that really sucks! The only time I ever had my vacation cancelled was during a huge snow storm I was set to be off they did ask if I'll come in and they refunded my expenses to do so

[quote name='Bookish Angel']Many of us enjoy a month or more per year. I was gone 4.5 weeks a few years ago and my boss, the news director, graciosly offered to do my job so that I could go to Australia and Southeast Asia.[/QUOTE]

Wow now that's they type of boss I want to have and or be if I'm ever in that position.

[quote name='srjones1']I'll throw in my situation from some time back... I work 12 hour rotating shifts. My schedule works out to 182 12 hour days/nights per year and with vacation factored in I work 160 days, 1920 hours, per year. I was once offered a Mon-Fri job with a decent pay increase that would be 226 8 hour days, 1808 hours, per year with vacation and holidays factored in. Thats 66 days different. Now, to make it an even longer story my round trip gas costs around $10 to get to work and home so that day job would cost me an extra $660 per year just to get there. With all factors considered I cherished my off time way more than a pay increase. I average 12 work days over a 4 week period. I feel like I'm semi-retired at 42 years old. And to top it all off 7 of my off days are in a row so that's like a weeks vacation without using vacation time.

So, none of that may help you decide but that's my story from a similar situation. I chose to stay with the position that afforded me the opportunity to have more leisure time.[/QUOTE]

OMG yes I forgot all about the gas factor! ugh and its $4 bucks here for regular

[quote name='LindaM']Personally, I don't think a 20% increase in income would compensate for having only 2 weeks vacation. People say negotiate....this is 2014. There are tons of people out there who are working at jobs below their skill/education level. I don't think you will have much luck with that, because they'll find someone else to do that job, for even less money.

This is your life....my mother's famous last words were "it's only a job, don't take it so seriously". She was right. I think vacation time is much more important than an increase of 20%, which will be taxed of course. I think you should go with the job that will make your life the most satisfying, because life goes by FAST!! I wouldn't think about the increase in income. Think about what the job entails. Maybe you like working 12 hours, instead of 8, and not working as many days. Also, consider which job will give you less stress! Choose the job that will make your life the easiest and happy. It's not always about money.

If you do go for the job with the 20% increase, you seriously need to put that away in a 401K. Thank goodness DH did that, because our retirement lives would be completely different. He gets the credit...not me![/QUOTE]

I like the way you mom thinks. Both jobs are mentally draining and add the just the sheer fact that I have to stay up and be alert and think fast and be correct with my thinking is also draining.

[quote name='blackpool belle']Reading the comments of others on here you appear to be the exception to the rule and in the minority.[/QUOTE]

My husband gets about 30 days a year of PTO. He earns comp time in top of that, and usually loses some of his PTO hours every year.

I technically get two weeks plus personal days, but as long as I don't abuse it, my boss doesn't care if I take extra time. I'm in outside long cycle sales and as long as I'm in the US, I make myself available by phone and email to my customers even while on vacation, and he knows that which is why he is very loose about my days off.

Lots of companies only offer 2 weeks vacation to start, but you should be able to negotiate another week since you've been with them for a while. In my last job I negotiated a week of unpaid (they GRUDGINGLY allowed it). My current employer gives PTO, so as long as I don't get sick, I'll,have much more vacation time.

But here's the thing I'd consider. I made a hasty decision about my job about 12 years ago (turning down a promotion to a position that would require 2nd shift work) and ever since then I've been stuck. I've changed jobs, I've changed companies, but this was a good offer & in this world those don't come along often. My pay has gone up some but I am working well below my abilities and that is frustrating. Some people work just for the pay check and the vacation, other people work for the intellectual stimulation and opportunities to be challenged. I'm the latter. You'll have to think about what you ultimately want, and decide if you're willing to delay vacay gratification for a few years. Edited by JanineM
stupid autocorrect

[quote name='ducklite']My husband gets about 30 days a year of PTO. He earns comp time in top of that, and usually loses some of his PTO hours every year.

I technically get two weeks plus personal days, but as long as I don't abuse it, my boss doesn't care if I take extra time. I'm in outside long cycle sales and as long as I'm in the US, I make myself available by phone and email to my customers even while on vacation, and he knows that which is why he is very loose about my days off.[/quote]

From my experience of Americans they are extremely hard working and it's just my humble opinion they more than deserve only 2 weeks holiday a year.

[quote name='blackpool belle']From my experience of Americans they are extremely hard working and it's just my humble opinion they more than deserve only 2 weeks holiday a year.[/QUOTE]

I totally AGREE!

[quote name='VMax1700']good point.
I suppose Betamax and vhs was an emerging field in its day.
even cd technology is old time now.[/QUOTE]

LOLOL that's so true!

Everyone really has me thinking long and hard. Thank you.

I'm overwhelmed and thankful for all the responses, opinions and examples. I go back to work tomorrow night. Hopefully I'll have some new information. Another thing about working nights is that none of the people I need to talk to are working during that time. Also, HR is in the main building 50 miles away as I work in an Annex. I think I'm going to have to ask for a meeting so I can speak with them face to face instead of via phone/email. I'm kind of on a time crunch I want to know if I'm going to be moving on into this new position or staying put before I go away in July.

[quote name='JanineM']Lots of companies only offer 2 weeks vacation to start, but you should be able to negotiate another week since you've been with them for a while. In my last job I negotiated a week of unpaid (they GRUDGINGLY allowed it). My current employer gives PTO, so as long as I don't get sick, I'll,have much more vacation time.

But here's the thing I'd consider. I made a hasty decision about my job about 12 years ago (turning down a promotion to a position that would require 2nd shift work) and ever since then I've been stuck. I've changed jobs, I've changed companies, but this was a good offer & in this world those don't come along often. My pay has gone up some but I am working well below my abilities and that is frustrating. Some people work just for the pay check and the vacation, other people work for the intellectual stimulation and opportunities to be challenged. I'm the latter. You'll have to think about what you ultimately want, and decide if you're willing to delay vacay gratification for a few years.[/QUOTE]

You see that's where I'm at now. My job only stimulates my mind about 50% of the time and that 50% can be very stressful and the pressure can be immense however I cant tell you how fast my night flies by when that happens, sometimes I swear I just got to work as I didn't have enough time to finish what I needed to do. (I blame my job for giving me my first grey strand of hair LOL) However, the other 50% OMG I almost drool on myself out of sheer and utter boredom and end up clock watching LOL. And, there's no predictability on what type of night I'm going to have. Maybe I have just be doing the same thing for too long, maybe I'm burnt out. maybe I'm just sick of nights.

I just enjoying traveling. Even when I was a child my parents always let me decide where I wanted them to take me for summer vacation. So now as an adult I enjoy it even more so and it would be very hard for me to give it up.