Internet access

JandKMom

Hi there. Not planning on going online too much, except to check emails once or twice and maybe check in on Facebook. Do people use the computers in the i Lounge (or whatever it is called) for this or bring their own devices (phone, ipad, etc.)

Is it possible to get internet access in the terminal in Miami? Would it be the ship's internet or another unlocked one?

You can't get internet in the terminal because it requires a password. Internet isn't free with the ship and download time is very slow, think the old fashion dial up times.

Hi,

the internet is working via satellites, so it should be nearly the same speed on all itineraries.

But we cruised from Sydney to Hawaii in April and had an internet package. The speed was ok, but don't expect high-speed internet.

Not sure how this would work with various cell phone carriers or overseas carriers (or even if the reception will work) but I got a package with Verizon for 100 MB of data per person for $25 each, so I can check email on my phone without using Wifi. Phone calls and texts are extra and are billed per call/text. They said it would kick in as soon as the ship was out of US waters. It is a monthly plan.

thanks everyone

I don't need super speed just enough time to log on read, write a short reply and log off a couple of times a day.

If you want to write a longer reply, you should log out after fetching the mails and log on again for sending your answer.

Not to bother you with my previous question swoonx, I just read your past cruise line up and see it was the Solstice. Any tips or dos and don'ts you would recommend?

Just don't expect the "modern luxury". It's a nice ship and the itinerary is great, but we expected a little bit more.

Is it your first ocean crossing? You will have many sea days, some can be very rough. Make sure you have some medicine with you and have enough to read.

Not sure how this would work with various cell phone carriers or overseas carriers (or even if the reception will work) but I got a package with Verizon for 100 MB of data per person for $25 each, so I can check email on my phone without using Wifi. Phone calls and texts are extra and are billed per call/text. They said it would kick in as soon as the ship was out of US waters. It is a monthly plan.

Be careful of those phone plans. You're still going to have to go through the ship's satellite system, and you could be paying the $2.49 a minute to connect through them. It doesn't matter that you have a download plan, you still have to connect your phone through something, and it's not cheap on a ship. You may have paid for downloads, but those plans don't necessarily cover the per minute charges of using the ship's phone satellites.

Be careful of those phone plans. You're still going to have to go through the ship's satellite system, and you could be paying the $2.49 a minute to connect through them. It doesn't matter that you have a download plan, you still have to connect your phone through something, and it's not cheap on a ship. You may have paid for downloads, but those plans don't necessarily cover the per minute charges of using the ship's phone satellites.

Thanks. Yes it's $2.49 per minute for phone calls on the ship. $1.99 per minute on land. It was my understanding that the $25 for the data was all-inclusive.

I am sailing solstice Hawaii to Sydney OCT 5 2014. I will unfortunately need to check email often as I have a parent that is terminally ill. Has anyone done this cruise and experienced the internet on this route and how did you find it?

We've cruised a couple of Pacific crossings and Internet access was spotty once we got in the middle of the ocean.

Thanks. Yes it's $2.49 per minute for phone calls on the ship. $1.99 per minute on land. It was my understanding that the $25 for the data was all-inclusive.

Hi Cruisead. Thanks for your reply - I did just check with Verizon and as I thought, the per minute charges are only for calling.

This was Verizon's reply (contacted them online and did a Live Chat)

when using the data for internet - you will not be charged for the calling features, that is only when using calling 1.99 on land per minute or 2.49 per minute on the ship text is 0.50 each to send and 0.05 each to receive

Edited by JandKMom

I have used the internet in the Mediterranean and in the Caribbean, and with both the I- Lounge computers and my tablet. The speed has been exactly the same in all locations and on any equipment - S - L - O - W. It's not as bad as the old dial-up days. It's frustrating if you try to compare it to whatever Broadband you are accustomed to. If you go in expecting a slower speed you won't go completely crazy.

Be very careful with this. I have a sneaking suspicion that Verizon is not telling the whole story here. Unless you have an international data roaming plan then you will be paying much more than $25 per 100MB of data.