Is the norwegian sky really like this?

seaman11

I was looking to book a cheap one in august but second thoughs after seeing this type of element. Please tell me this isnt typical or is it a party boat because its out of Miami and a short cruise? :eek:

Edited by seaman11

I thought spring break was in april? But will summer be like this also?

That video is filmed during a spring break cruise - depending on location, spring break can vary between march and april, for example NCL's alcohol package blackout period is from 3/1 to 4/15 every year because of spring break).

As the other poster said, it is not always like that. (But yes, if one has to name a NCL ship as a party ship, it would be Sky.)

Edited by Demonyte

You will always get idiots that drink to much on any holiday. Does anyone know what happened to the guy that was causing the trouble? Personally if I was the captain he would have been getting kicked off at the next port.

I think they're more likely to happen on two and three night cruises.

Other than a group of heavy-drinking young'ins pushing the ice cream cart overboard, I've not seen anything escalate to what was on the video.

I've had 3 cruises on the Sky. I've NEVER seen that level of insanity.

It was during college spring break (I know my alma mater starts spring break the first Monday in March)

Take it with a grain of salt.

And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that guy is having a bad trip. I've been pretty drunk in my life, but never so drunk that it took a pile of security guards to subdue me

The cheaper cruises seem to attract more of a party element. Not because the partiers are "poor", but because drinking for days on end can get expensive (as I'm sure many in here know).

I know that 20 years ago I would have chosen a 3/4 day so that I'd have money left over to party. Pretty expensive to party for a full week, even if the price isn't that much more than a 3/4 day.

I did a 3 day cruise to nowhere on Carnival in 2013 (left out of Charleston) as a cheap way to get 10 cruises and make Platinum before they changed the program last December. Absolute pandemonium. Granted, I probably would have had a good time when I was 21, but when you are 40 with with the family (including 14 yo daughter) you tend to have a different opinion.

Give NCL credit, at least they pull the UBP on certain cruises that sail during the spring break months.

We did the 4-day Sky cruise in September 2011 and it was not like that at all. Spring break cruises definitely attract more of the party crowd, but the crowd on our sailing was well mannered and having a fun time without getting out of control.

OP, on your post about booking Cunard this summer you indicate you want a more formal, dress up, "higher class" cruise unlike what RCI is. Given this, I think you certainly want to stay away from NCL! The video you posted is not the typical NCL cruise, but NCL will never be what you indicate your looking for in Cunard.

This from your other post:

"Yes thank you, I too enjoy the formalities and manners of old. Now

I'm not sure if I came across snobbery or racism because im a dark skinned italian and I think the Diamond plus member assumed I was part of the working staff even with nice attire on. So there is where I am at an impasse. I so yearn for the old days of manners and class and the formal attire however I do not want the full snobbery or perhaps bigotry that sometimes rares its ugly head. "

Edited by rvsullivan

I've been on the Sky, and most of the FLL and PoM ships, as we live here. The Sky gets much more of a party crowd, as do the short sailings on Carnival.... to some extent even RCCL and Princess.

But that video isn't representative of the Sky... and really, would a video of people being well behaved, courteous, laughing and smiling together while acting like "new-found long-lost-friends" really make it on YouTube? Of course not....

I am a Princess loyalist, but have had some really nice sailings on NCL and will be on the Breakaway next week.

Oh, and referencing the post above mine..... if the OP is considering Cunard, then you pretty much have no business on NCL, Carnival or any of the lines that attract a more fun crowd. I'd do another TA on Cunard, and that's about it. Putting an NCL'r on Cunard is like giving Babe Ruth a tennis racket... (it just doesn't work)

I too miss the formal days.... we dress formally on the formal nights... really look forward to them... but I am not sure anyone would call me a cranky old curmudgeon... So like his post I prefer classic and contemporary.. .a little "polish".. maybe that's why I like Princess so much as it does have a little more polish (albeit a little less fun) than NCL (just my opinion)... That said I would rather take one NCL cruise rather than 2 Cunard cruises.... (I am referring to fun, not price)

Edited by SheepdogGriff

OP, on your post about booking Cunard this summer you indicate you want a more formal, dress up, "higher class" cruise unlike what RCI is. Given this, I think you certainly want to stay away from NCL! The video you posted is not the typical NCL cruise, but NCL will never be what you indicate your looking for in Cunard.

absolutely, I enjoy being formal and would love to try a TA on Cunard. I will however be in maimi in aug so I was looking for a quick cruise and maybe try NCL again. I also have settled for a cruise on Celebrity later this year in addition to my dec trip on the liberty of the seas which may fit well with my need for slightly more formal but yet not to snobby.

Edited by seaman11

absolutely, I enjoy being formal and would love to try a TA on Cunard. I will however be in maimi in aug so I was looking for a quick cruise and maybe try NCL again. I also have settled for a cruise on Celebrity later this year in addition to my dec trip on the liberty of the seas which may fit well with my need for slightly more formal but yet not to snobby.

Seems like a good call...

Celebrity and Princess seem to be the most "polished, yet still some fun" lines out there. Princess still has the formal nights on their 7 day sailings. Not sure about RCCL. I am pretty sure X still has formal nights (it's been a while)... HAL too, although they attract a slightly older demographic than NCL/RCCL/Princess. I think they are all good lines, but for different reasons...

I know this is a NCL sub-forum, and my first NCL sailing was on the Sky... Living in SoFL, everyone told me not to judge NCL by the Sky, but we had a really nice time (in November)... The Boss thinks enough of NCL that she booked the Breakaway, which in essence is going to be our "pre-honeymoon.."

Just realize that with different lines you're primarily getting a different demographic of passengers... and honestly not a lot of Cunard/Seabourn folks hang around the NCL/RCCL/Princess/X forums...

But a TA on Cunard is something to be cherished... it's not a party.. it's an event...

Edited by SheepdogGriff

Seems like a good call...

Celebrity and Princess seem to be the most "polished, yet still some fun" lines out there. Princess still has the formal nights on their 7 day sailings. Not sure about RCCL. I am pretty sure X still has formal nights (it's been a while)... HAL too, although they attract a slightly older demographic than NCL/RCCL/Princess. I think they are all good lines, but for different reasons...

I know this is a NCL sub-forum, and my first NCL sailing was on the Sky... Living in SoFL, everyone told me not to judge NCL by the Sky, but we had a really nice time (in November)... The Boss thinks enough of NCL that she booked the Breakaway, which in essence is going to be our "pre-honeymoon.."

Just realize that with different lines you're primarily getting a different demographic of passengers... and honestly not a lot of Cunard/Seabourn folks hang around the NCL/RCCL/Princess/X forums...

But a TA on Cunard is something to be cherished... it's not a party.. it's an event...

thank you, I think many of us are somewhere in the middle, which many dont seem to understand. Its not exactly black or white. I love being formal at times but I also am not a stuffy person. I feel Celebrity could be my new cruise line. However I may still do a NCL or something just for a change of pace knowing that it has less formalities and is for the masses.

RCCL still does formals actually 2 nights out of 6 or 7. The issue is more and more are fighting for the right to be more casual and it looks like its headed that way.