Low water on the Rhine 2014

notamermaid

Hello,

in my valley right now we are experiencing a severe thunderstorm. It is raining heavily with lightning illuminating the Rhine for a split second as if it was daylight.

No more talk of very low water levels! :)

notamermaid

Hello,

who did their rain dance for too long? ;)

The Rhine valley around my area has been covered in rain and mist - on and off - for three days now.

The water level has risen about 40 centimetres since my last post - that is quite a bit in Summer time.

rudeman,

let me assure you that what you are seeing in Rüdesheim is now a "comfortable amount of water for sailing unimpeded".

High water looks very different.

Enjoy Rüdesheim and the Rhine Gorge!

When you are in Cologne you could ask your local guide about the markings for high water level. Perhaps you pass one. That could be interesting, especially if you can take a photo of a person standing under the marking!

notamermaid

I am sure it is going to be even more interesting along the Rhine today and in any of the German villages, towns and homes. Bound to be lots of gatherings for the big game and you will get to experience another aspect of the German culture!:D

Hello Got2Cruise,

Rudeman take the special dinner in Rudesheim. You won't be sorry. So much fun. Cologne is an awesome port. [ATTACH]319188[/ATTACH] dog we saw in Cologne. I'm now using free wifi at van gough museum.

I am afraid, The Avalon Impression with rudeman onboard is already on its way to Cologne. They will watch the game onboard, if they want to watch.

The pub near my workplace has put up the big television screen and a tent outside, my local beer garden has put up more tables and seats. The fans have past my home on the way to the beer garden.

I am getting nervous.

Everybody have a great time tonight! Here we go!

notamermaid

Hello Got2Cruise,

I am afraid, The Avalon Impression with rudeman onboard is already on its way to Cologne. They will watch the game onboard, if they want to watch.

The pub near my workplace has put up the big television screen and a tent outside, my local beer garden has put up more tables and seats. The fans have past my home on the way to the beer garden.

I am getting nervous.

Everybody have a great time tonight! Here we go!

notamermaid

A big day for Germany today! Must be lots of extra excitement along the Rhine right now; I can hear the cheering all the way over here on the West coast of Canada! Congratulations!

Weltmeister!

They did it!

The German team was greeted in Berlin today. I hope you have access to some news coverage of that event. It was amazing to see the crows on TV this morning.

CPTtrips,

Thank you for the photo. A nice attempt at what we call public viewing. But: where are the decorations in black, red and gold? Where are the hats, the balloons, the Germany t-shirts? This needs improving upon! :D

The Rhine is still at a comfortable level. It has risen so much in the last five days that a hot weekend without rain will not cause any problems for next week. The weekend is forecast to be hot on the Middle Rhine. Get those cocktails and enjoy the sunset on the sundeck!

notamermaid

• 2 weeks later...

We had a very hot weekend with thunderstorms and lots of rain following on Monday and Tuesday. It has rained so much that the Rhine levels have risen a lot. Still looks fine for sailing. The upper Rhine will hopefully not get too much rain over the next two weeks as this could cause problems between Breisach and Speyer with high water. But fine for now.

The Main river, oddly, continues to be a little low. Weather conditions can differ greatly between river regions in Germany, between two neighbouring valleys and occasionally within a large town (especially if it is hilly)!

notamermaid

notamermaid ~ a belated CONGRATULATIONS on Germany's World Cup win!! I had posed on another site but want to wish you the congrats Germany deserves!!!

We watched the semi & final in a real German pub/restaurant - Manor Oktoberfest - that was packed with people! America has taken to soccer - at least every 4 years!!!

Germany played great games and we'll deserved to win!!! Hurray!!!!

Weltmeister!

CPTtrips,

Thank you for the photo. A nice attempt at what we call public viewing. But: where are the decorations in black, red and gold? Where are the hats, the balloons, the Germany t-shirts? This needs improving upon! :D

notamermaid

Check their Facebook page . . . https://www.facebook.com/brauhausschmitz/media_set?set=a.797963130236966.1073741836.100000698587478&type=3