Can I use on board credit to upgrade my cabin?

fstuff1

going alone from nyc to Canada (7day) on the Gem in sept.

found out my dad has like $500 worth of NCL on-board credits that he has to use by the end of the year.

due to health problems, he's not going to be able to go on any trips anytime soon.

he wants to xfer that $ to me for my trip.

anyone know if I can use that $ to upgrade? (inside -> ocean view = $80, balconly $300)

Edited by fstuff1

Also, could possibly be $500 in NCL gift cards. If they're gift cards, they can used towards booking a cruise.

I think we need clarification from the OP.

Correction: probably NOT NCL gift cards. I just read the Terms and Conditions for the gift cards and they don't actually have a real expiration date. From NCL's T&C: "The funds on your card do not expire. An expiration date is provided for fraud prevention purposes. If your Card still has unused funds on it after your Card expires, you may order a new Card by visiting http://www.norwegiangiftcard.com or by calling 1.888.976.6904."

So, unless the OP (or his father) misunderstood the terms of the gift cards, the $500 is probably not in the form of gift cards.

Sorry - Back to our regular programming...

Edited by johnql

Good call.. if they are Future Cruise rewards,,, then the answer is yes..

You can apply them to your cruise fare as prepaid vouchers towards the final payment.

So, if you upgraded to a more expensive cabin, the FCR can be applied towards the increased fare.

Good call.. if they are Future Cruise rewards,,, then the answer is yes..

You can apply them to your cruise fare as prepaid vouchers towards the final payment.

So, if you upgraded to a more expensive cabin, the FCR can be applied towards the increased fare.

Yes, however if we're talking about two Freestyle Cruise Rewards, only one FCR can be used per cabin. He won't be able to use both for himself.

The one time I used a future cruise credit, I used it as part of the final payment. I don't think they insist that it be used only for deposit.

If your father has Future Cruise credit certificates, know that they are worth $250 when you use them to purchase a cruise BUT that your dad actually paid $150 for them. When you purchase these things, you pay NCL $250 but they give you $100 OBC when you buy them. So I don't know if you'll find anyone who will pay much more than $150 if you choose to sell them.

If the credits perhaps came from a cancelled cruise after final payment, I have had these transferred to me in the past from a friend and I was able to use them as payment on the cruise....so in that instance you would be able to have those transferred and use it for payment towards an upgrade.

I guess we have to wait until we have a bit more information on what type or where these on board credits originated from.