3 Weeks on a Small Ship: Our Ultra Un-Cruise Report

Shazzah

Almost everything was included. There was a $40 per person charge to do snorkeling. Our trip had no options for bear viewing, flight seeing or fishing charters (other than the independent ones we did on changeover days, which were not arranged by Un-Cruise)) - these would be extra if available.

Alcoholic drinks were extra, but priced very reasonably. You ran a tab and paid at the end - very easy.

When comparing the cost of an Un-Cruise week, I think it makes since to add $$ to a large ship week for the excursions you will do. (Un-Cruise will still be more expensive than many other options, unless you normally travel in a suite or on a higher priced line - but we felt it was good value).

We will likely only do 7 days, probably the northern passages and glacier bay, then maybe add on a few days for Denali. We did an aft corner suite on HAL last year. If we add in our excursions through HAL, which did include flightseeing, it looks like the smallest cabin on Un-cruise is comparable in price, though obviously bare bones compared to the HAL suite. I would trade our flight seeing excursion for the upclose experiences on this little ship. Of course flights to/from Juneau and Sitka will be more than our round trip to Seattle. It looks like the experiences on this small ship are worth it though!

• 2 months later...

I have been planning an uncruise for about 5 years, and haven't quite pulled the trigger- but your review is definitely swaying me! I have some questions if you happen to check back:

1. I am looking at the Kids in Nature sailings- kids will be probably 9 and 10 when we go. Did you hear anything about any special service they offer when kids are on board? Those are sailings specifically designed for families, but I can't find out much about them.

2. Speaking of kids... one of mine can be a picky eater. Did you see evidence of any flexibility in that regard? You mentioned sauces and such could be "on the side"? What types of things were available in the early continental breakfast? He could practically live on yogurt, rice, pasta, fruit and veggies, but doesn't care for much meat, or interesting grains (it's a pain, trust me).

3. Were the boots provided? You also mention the binoculars- anything else that might save on stuff to pack?

Thanks so much- and I would appreciate any additional info you have... your trip report was really amazing!!!

I'm glad you found the report helpful.

As for the kids on an UnCruise - we only had a couple pre-teens on the boat one week. They seemed to have a good time. From our experience, I would expect the Expedition Guides would go out of their way to make sure the kids had a good experience, especially on the Family Cruise. If your kids enjoy nature and can be away from the internet for a week ;) they should have a great time.

Regarding food, I would recommend speaking to someone at UnCruise before you departed, but I think there would be plenty to chose from. The continental breakfasts generally had pastries, fruit, and cereal. I believe yogurt was also always available but I'm not a yogurt eater. Food was not fancy, and they were very accommodating to people with allergies as well. I don't want to give the impression it was "make to order," but I imagine they would be prepared to deal with kids' tastes on the Family Cruise week.

There were lots of rubber boots, at least for adults. You'd have to check if they had them for kids. As mentioned, they provided binoculars, and also water bottles for your use on hikes. There were things like sea sick pills and bug spray.

I hope it works out for your family - we certainly enjoyed our UnCruise.

When we went with them a few years ago they were very accomodating with special requests for meals although not sure how far off the beaten path they are willing to go with it.

After our first night with them the next morning they were serving cinnamon rolls with nuts. I was offered one but couldn't eat nuts at the time. The next morning they delivered one to our table without nuts. This isn't too extreme but I was impressed that they made a note of my preference based on a very brief exchange and followed up on it the next morning without being asked.

We've not been on a cruise that provides more personal attention, if that's what you want.

Chenega just returned from a trip with them. He may have an update.

I have been planning an uncruise for about 5 years, and haven't quite pulled the trigger- but your review is definitely swaying me! I have some questions if you happen to check back:

1. I am looking at the Kids in Nature sailings- kids will be probably 9 and 10 when we go. Did you hear anything about any special service they offer when kids are on board? Those are sailings specifically designed for families, but I can't find out much about them.

This link is from the Alaska forum of tripadvisor. Reply #26 is an uncruise trip report from a family with 2 tweens. #33 is another uncruise but no kids.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k5289155-o20-Trip_Reports_for_2012-Alaska.html

When we went with them a few years ago they were very accomodating with special requests for meals although not sure how far off the beaten path they are willing to go with it.

After our first night with them the next morning they were serving cinnamon rolls with nuts. I was offered one but couldn't eat nuts at the time. The next morning they delivered one to our table without nuts. This isn't too extreme but I was impressed that they made a note of my preference based on a very brief exchange and followed up on it the next morning without being asked.

We've not been on a cruise that provides more personal attention, if that's what you want.

Chenega just returned from a trip with them. He may have an update.

We did the Discoverer's Glacier Country trip in early August and it was fantastic. Two full days in Glacier Bay (sunny!), a trip around Admiralty Island, and a visit to Endicott Arm and the deep blue icebergs from Dawes Glacier.

Their activities are wonderful and all included. You can choose from kayaking or riding on a skiff (easy to board) along with a range of shore walks going from easy to more strenuous. Lots of wildlife viewing too.

Food was excellent and very fresh. They went out of their way to meet individual dietary needs. What I liked best is that you weren't stuffed at mealtimes. Portions were just the right size; if you wanted more, you just ask. Most fun was a dungeness crab meal picked up just two hours before we ate it.

If I had any criticism, I didn't think they took advantage of interpretative activities at night but then one was scrubbed because we slowed down to watch whales bubble-net feeding. Also, you spend lots of time interacting with others on the boat.

Crew was wonderful from the director, the hotel/restaurant manager, the staff, and the folks that drove the skiffs. Extremely organized both before and after the cruise as well. Rooms on the Safari Endeavor were small but functional. We had two twin beds with two windows. I'm 6'4" and had to "crunch up" a bit to sleep but really had no problems. Laughed at the very small shower but it worked so can't complain.

Yes, it cost more than an inside cabin on one of the big cruise lines but it was worth every dollar spent. In fact, we plan to do another UnCruise within the next two years. Based on this, we'd never go on a large cruise ship again. Highest recommendation. :)

Edited by Chenega

• 2 months later...

This is a great trip report! thanks so much as I am researching this right now!

Curious out of all your UnCruise Itineraries...could you say which one you like best. I always ask this "if you were going to recommend ONE to your family" which one would it be.

It might make a difference on what someone likes, but could you really distinguish why one would pick the Inner reaches east, west, or norther passages/glacier bay. I am sure not very many people (if any) have this opportunity to do them all right after another and have a good compare!!

Also, I noticed that your land portion was handled by Knightly Tours, but I believe Un-cruise has some land extensions to Denali also. Did you find Knightly tours worked as they had the Bear Viewing extension too?

Thanks so much again for taking the time to write this up and share with us.

Edited by bgsnmky

This is a great trip report! thanks so much as I am researching this right now!

Curious out of all your UnCruise Itineraries...could you say which one you like best. I always ask this "if you were going to recommend ONE to your family" which one would it be.

It might make a difference on what someone likes, but could you really distinguish why one would pick the Inner reaches east, west, or norther passages/glacier bay. I am sure not very many people (if any) have this opportunity to do them all right after another and have a good compare!!

Also, I noticed that your land portion was handled by Knightly Tours, but I believe Un-cruise has some land extensions to Denali also. Did you find Knightly tours worked as they had the Bear Viewing extension too?

Thanks so much again for taking the time to write this up and share with us.

Regarding which itinerary was best - very hard to say, as it is going to depend on weather and luck of the draw wrt wildlife.

We both agree we like the Eastern Inner Reaches tour because both Tracy Arm and Misty Fjords were spectacular. We liked Western also, but Eastern took it for us.

The Glacier Bay / Northern Passages was spectacular for the 3 days in or near Glacoer Bay NP. We thought the other few days were not as good as the two other weeks - but might have felt differently had we not already been un cruising for 2 weeks.

We are looking at taking the grandkids in 2016, and will do Eastern Inner Passages and Glacer Bay / Northern Passages.

As for the Land Tour, Knightly did the arrangements for UnCruise - but the UnCruise people were not involved once you were on the tour. There were hiccups, but it was one of the first tours of the season. Much better to book your own Denali options, if possible.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions. Many things are subjective, so it's difficult to give definitive answers as to what is best.

Thanks for taking the time to post your review. Great photos.

Thank you for your comment. We had so much fun, we are going back to Alaska in the fall of 2015, to see Bears at Lake Clark, and visit Denali in the fall (early Sep).

As mentioned above, my husband is also planning another UnCruise trip for 2016 with family. We obviously liked Alaska!

Regarding which itinerary was best - very hard to say, as it is going to depend on weather and luck of the draw wrt wildlife.

We both agree we like the Eastern Inner Reaches tour because both Tracy Arm and Misty Fjords were spectacular. We liked Western also, but Eastern took it for us.

The Glacier Bay / Northern Passages was spectacular for the 3 days in or near Glacoer Bay NP. We thought the other few days were not as good as the two other weeks - but might have felt differently had we not already been un cruising for 2 weeks.

We are looking at taking the grandkids in 2016, and will do Eastern Inner Passages and Glacer Bay / Northern Passages.

As for the Land Tour, Knightly did the arrangements for UnCruise - but the UnCruise people were not involved once you were on the tour. There were hiccups, but it was one of the first tours of the season. Much better to book your own Denali options, if possible.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions. Many things are subjective, so it's difficult to give definitive answers as to what is best.

I knew that would be a hard answer!!! But your answer actually helped..sounds like OVER all you like the Eastern and Western the best and the two days in Glacier bay. Wouldn't it be great if you could create your own itinerary.

Kind of like Disney World is my speciality and if i could create my own park it would include things from each of the 4 parks at Disney World

I knew that would be a hard answer!!! But your answer actually helped..sounds like OVER all you like the Eastern and Western the best and the two days in Glacier bay. Wouldn't it be great if you could create your own itinerary.

Kind of like Disney World is my speciality and if i could create my own park it would include things from each of the 4 parks at Disney World

I think you can create your own itinerary, but it might be too expensive :)

Just wanted to comment on your Disney comment - coincidentally, we go to Disney World quite often as well, and will be doing a New Year's Cruise in a few weeks.

Wow! This is what I call a review! Absolutely amazing! I'm planning on an Alaskan cruise but may need to rethink my plan as this looks so much better than what I was planning. Thank you so much for this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am really enjoying your travel blog (still in the middle of it) and have been seriously considering a small ship Alaskan cruise (definitely dont want to do this on the giant monstrosities !!!).

I am curious about the average daily temperatures during your May trip ? I like it "really cold".

I have done Antarctica in Nov, Dec and Feb and generally wear one layer of thermals and my parka & overpants. Ocassionally I add a fleece vest if needed.

So I am looking at your photos and trying to guess the temps by what people are wearing - bit hard tho when you have pics of people in parkas standing next to the guy in the t shirt haha !

Ideally I want to do Alaska as early as possibly in the season for the coldest temps ?

Ideally I want to do Alaska as early as possibly in the season for the coldest temps ?

We were on the first Alaska trip of the year a few years ago. A 14 day from Seattle to Juneau that departed the end of April. The weather was good but the clear skies made for some cool evenings. This is a shot while whale watching near Pt Adolphus. It was in the 30s. They were serving hot chocolate and schnapps.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-dLlySsqf5-A/S_SvZfOhNuI/AAAAAAAAChc/hYuO7PZXVPU/w701-h469-no/Whale%2B130.jpg

https://plus.google.com/photos/107326259154545546042/albums/5472080881357542817?banner=pwa

Cruising early in the season will normally give you colder temps. May and June are typically the driest months of the year too. It was anywhere from the mid 30’s to low 60’s on our trip.

Assuming you are talking fahrenheit ?

so about 1 - 15 celsius then. Was assuming colder based on how rugged up people are in the photos - they must be wimpier than me :)

Hmmm was hoping colder than that but obviously the waters would then be too icey for the boats to actually traverse.

So obviously I should be looking for the company that offers the earliest trip of the season.

Thanks much appreciated - and loving the photos :)

Assuming you are talking fahrenheit ?

Yes, fahrenheit.

This site gives historical weather info for many Alaska communities.

http://www.arh.noaa.gov/climate.php?stnid=PAJN&mon=5&yr=2014&obs=true&precip=true

Although Un-Cruise is not as port intensive as the main lines and there were several days we didn't see a port, some of the vendors and venues may not be open early season. We were the first cruise ship into Ketchikan and the stores were still setting up for the season.

• 2 months later...
I don't want to take anything away from Un-cruise but Alaska Dream Cruises offers a similar up close and active experience. If Un-cruise isn't available, check them out. I recommend them highly.

Apologies for the late reply - I have been meaning to get back here and post this photo, because I wanted to support your comment about Alaska Dream Cruises. While we haven't been on a cruise with them, we have heard many positives. Also, this photo is of the Admiralty Dream - I imagine the folks on that cruise had a great time! We saw this ship many times as we were on our Un-Cruise adventure.

Western%20Coves%20May29-61-M.jpg

I am really enjoying your travel blog (still in the middle of it) and have been seriously considering a small ship Alaskan cruise (definitely dont want to do this on the giant monstrosities !!!).

I am curious about the average daily temperatures during your May trip ? I like it "really cold".

I have done Antarctica in Nov, Dec and Feb and generally wear one layer of thermals and my parka & overpants. Ocassionally I add a fleece vest if needed.

So I am looking at your photos and trying to guess the temps by what people are wearing - bit hard tho when you have pics of people in parkas standing next to the guy in the t shirt haha !

Again - apologies for the late reply. I think the temperature question has been answered. I will say we were on the first cruises of the season - and it wasn't all that cold most of the time. I wore a parka often, but kept it unzipped.

And yes, there was a gentleman who wore t-shirts and shorts almost every day!

We have not done Antarctica, but have done the Arctic. It was definitely colder there than in Alaska in May!