Question About Where Ocean Princess Docks in Amsterdam

flourpot

If any of you have been to Amsterdam on the Ocean Princess (or any of the small ships), do you know if the port where the ship docks is walkable to the downtown area, or if it isn't, if Princess or the city of Amsterdam provides a shuttle into town?

Thanks!

Bonnie

Cruise Critic has an article on the port of Amsterdam:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=99

"The Amsterdam cruise terminals are busy in season, hosting more than 200 oceangoing vessels and more than 1,500 river ships that carry more than 650,000 passengers from spring through fall.

If you're on an ocean cruise, you'll dock at one of two areas. The Passenger Terminal Amsterdam (PTA), near the start of the new Eastern Docklands development, is a 10-minute walk or a five-minute ride from Central Station, where all of the city's bus, trolley and boat lines can be boarded. The second terminal area is Felison Terminal, which recently added a second berth. This area is located just in front of the locks".

The Central Station is adjacent to the city & they have a great public transportation system. Rick Steves' European ports books (Mediterranean & Northern Europe) are great resources about ports of call. In general many Dutch speak excellent English which is very helpful.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Cruise Critic has an article on the port of Amsterdam:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=99

"The Amsterdam cruise terminals are busy in season, hosting more than 200 oceangoing vessels and more than 1,500 river ships that carry more than 650,000 passengers from spring through fall.

If you're on an ocean cruise, you'll dock at one of two areas. The Passenger Terminal Amsterdam (PTA), near the start of the new Eastern Docklands development, is a 10-minute walk or a five-minute ride from Central Station, where all of the city's bus, trolley and boat lines can be boarded. The second terminal area is Felison Terminal, which recently added a second berth. This area is located just in front of the locks".

The Central Station is adjacent to the city & they have a great public transportation system. Rick Steves' European ports books (Mediterranean & Northern Europe) are great resources about ports of call. In general many Dutch speak excellent English which is very helpful.

Thanks for the help. I've been to Amsterdam before, but not on a cruise ship and I can't seem to place where the cruise ships would dock, or how far away from town they are.

If you check your cruise Personalizer and Itinerary, it'll tell you exactly where the ship will be docked. I just checked mine and the Royal will be at Ocean Quay, piers 330-334.

I don't recall seeing any specific pier locations except for embarkation & disembarkation ports. You'll be sailing from Copenhagen & I'll be arriving there next year and in Copenhagen they use Ocean Key (Oceankaj). I may be wrong but got the impression that for the OP Amsterdam was a port of call & thus no pier information.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I don't recall seeing any specific pier locations except for embarkation & disembarkation ports. You'll be sailing from Copenhagen & I'll be arriving there next year and in Copenhagen they use Ocean Key (Oceankaj). I may be wrong but got the impression that for the OP Amsterdam was a port of call & thus no pier information.

That's what I have found as well, Astro Flyer. I have tried searching for port info through the port's website and anything even remotely related when I searched on Google. That's why I came here to you lovely folk. :) I figured that maybe someone on here might have been there on the Ocean Princess and could give some insight on how I can best get into town.

That's what I have found as well, Astro Flyer. I have tried searching for port info through the port's website and anything even remotely related when I searched on Google. That's why I came here to you lovely folk. :) I figured that maybe someone on here might have been there on the Ocean Princess and could give some insight on how I can best get into town.

I was able to view a map showing the Passenger Terminal Amsterdam (PTA) which shows it's a short distance east of the Central Train station & here's a summary of the directions from Rick's port book.

It's a 3 minute tram ride or a 15 minute walk to the "Centraal Station".

By tram, exit cruise terminal, follow the "Town Center" sign to use the crosswalk to cross the busy portside street. There'll be a tram stop with an electric sign for "Centraal Station" with time for the next tram. Take tram #26 (runs every 4-8 minutes) one stop to end of line 3 minutes later at the Central Station.

To walk 15 minutes to the train station as you leave the cruise terminal follow the "Town Center" sign, turn right at the busy road, walk past hotel & shops. Keep walking with the water on your right until you get to a busy crosswalk (on left) & follow the crowds across the street to the Central train station's lower level.

I have not done this myself but I'd probably buy a 1 day transit pass to use their excellent tram system.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I was able to view a map showing the Passenger Terminal Amsterdam (PTA) which shows it's a short distance east of the Central Train station & here's a summary of the directions from Rick's port book.

By tram, exit cruise terminal, follow the "Town Center" sign to use the crosswalk to cross the busy portside street. There'll be a tram stop with an electric sign for "Centraal Station" with time for the next tram. Take tram #26 (runs every 4-8 minutes) one stop to end of line 3 minutes later at the Central Station.

To walk 15 minutes to the train station as you leave the cruise terminal follow the "Town Center" sign, turn right at the busy road, walk past hotel & shops. Keep walking with the water on your right until you get to a busy crosswalk (on left) & follow the crowds across the street to the Central train station's lower level.

I have not done this myself but I'd probably buy a 1 day transit pass to use their excellent tram system.

Thank you so much!!! This is so helpful!!!

:D

Bonnie

If you check your cruise Personalizer and Itinerary, it'll tell you exactly where the ship will be docked. I just checked mine and the Royal will be at Ocean Quay, piers 330-334.

I would expect a ship the size of the Royal would not be able to get into Amsterdam and would dock at Rotterdam. In that case, Princess would sell transportation into Amsterdam.

Yes, we used trams to get all over Amsterdam and rode tram 26 to the pier. It is a very short walk into the cruise terminal from the tram stop.

You will find google maps of the ports and links to the port cruise schedules at cruiseportwiki dot com

Yes, I used Google maps from the Passenger Terminal Amsterdam to Central Station to see the satellite view with directions for either walking or the tram.

Yes, we used trams to get all over Amsterdam and rode tram 26 to the pier. It is a very short walk into the cruise terminal from the tram stop.

Good to know & you can also get a canal boat tour near the Central train station.