Crab Legs Served on W'dam Alaska Cruise?

Yumagal

Got a question for anyone just off the Westerdam cruising to Alaska out of Seattle. Was crab served in the MDR? And if so, what night was it served and what kind was it? Would hate to miss it as we don't always eat in the MDR and crab of any kind is my favorite food. I did a search for crab and saw that someone posted that it was served on the O'dam so hopefully it will also be served on the W'dam.

The crab legs served on any cruise itinerary in the main dining room are the tiny ones -- usual the first formal night -- that can change by ship.

If you are looking for the King Crab Legs -- only in the Pinnacle Grill for an extra charge of $20 per person -- that means you would pay $29 for the normal Pinnacle Grill menu and then an extra $20 to have King Crab Legs.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on the menus for them. Small one are OK with me. I'm really good at cracking them. I've had lots of practice:)

You won't need to crack them. They're pre cut with a band saw. Just scoop out the meat and pop into your mouth.

The crab served in the MDR is snow crab. It's okay. As KK mentioned, you can get Alaska King Crab in the PG for an additional $20. If you get a free PG dinner somehow, it's easier to justify the additional charge. Here is a picture of the crab dinner from the PG:

image.jpg.b738cd9ac2fc744d2885b96ec71f1a12.jpg

Got a question for anyone just off the Westerdam cruising to Alaska out of Seattle. Was crab served in the MDR? And if so, what night was it served and what kind was it? Would hate to miss it as we don't always eat in the MDR and crab of any kind is my favorite food. I did a search for crab and saw that someone posted that it was served on the O'dam so hopefully it will also be served on the W'dam.

We had crab legs in the MDR as an appetizer one night. It was a small portion, but you could order two servings. The legs were already open, no fuss, no muss! Quite tasty too.

I know when we started cruising the first MDR formal night was King Crab Legs, not Snow. Not a surprising cost cutting measure considering the cost of King Crab nowadays. Snow Crab Legs just aren't the same, but hopefully the King Legs are worth the surcharge in the PG.

If you are a die-hard king crab fan like me, I don't bother with the legs on the ship which seem to be oversalted and overcooked and instead head for Tracy's crab shack in Juneau. Amazing crab, cooked perfectly and authentic Alaskan King Crab. They also have the best crab chowder...ever. The shack is right behind the library. Can't miss it because it's where all of the crew go too (they are the ones that told us about it).

Only as an appetizer one evening. Too bad , love them!!

When you see an appetizer offered that you would like as an entrée, ask if that can be done. Frequently asking is all you need to do to make it happen.

Thanks all for your quick responses. I can always count on CC to help me out! I've had the chowder at Tracy's Crab Shack and think I'll get the legs this time. Speaking of Tracy's, I read somewhere that they have a new location. I'll have to look that up and report back on it. Just booked the cruise so didn't get the package with the free PG dinner so don't think I'll be eating them there.

As you can see on the TV shows, the crab is caught in the winter! It is quickly frozen. We thought we would get King Crab in Alaska cheaper than at home but it was pretty much the same price. The Ryndam in Europe can have frozen crab just like the rest of the ships.

Just heard a author yest. on NPR saying we send most of our Alaska catch to Japan. We send fish to China to be cleaned and frozen and then they send it back. Actually much cheaper this way. Even heard while we were in Hawaii that pineapple is sent to U.S. to be canned and then sent back to grocery stores in Hawaii.

When you see an appetizer offered that you would like as an entrée, ask if that can be done. Frequently asking is all you need to do to make it happen.

Good to know! I like the appetizers the best!

Everyone has answered your question, now my $0.02.

Don't eat 'em!!!

If you saw a cockroach or a spider pop outta a toxic waste dump, you wouldn't just pop that in your mouth would you?

Then why would you consider eating crabs/shrimp/lobsters and such? They are the spiders/insects of the sea and we've polluted our oceans something fierce.

Derek