Price drop hidden fees

JoKen1

So I noticed that the price dropped on a cruise I'm going on.

I booked three inside cabins with a total of 8 people going. It's my girl scout troop.

When I called to get us a credit I was told that the price drop wasn't really the true price drop because even though it shows the cost of the same cruise and the same type of room we got there were no cabins at that cost.

So she told me the cost was only $25 a person less. Oh well, that was still ok. I should get $200 credit total right? WRONG!

While the price of the cruise dropped, the "taxes" went up????? The girl could not tell me how that could be. I felt that if the price of the cruise went down the taxes should be less too right? WRONG AGAIN!

I spoke to the manager and see then changed it to the taxes and other costs went up but she didn't know why or when they went up.

What Carnival ended up crediting us was $48.96 total for the 8 of us or $6.12 a person. What a joke!

As I was speaking to her I plugged in the cost of an Ocean view room and it came out to the same price as our inside rooms. So I said we may as well just change the cabins to ocean views.

Well guess what! When she punched the cabins in the cost shows more then what we were already paying. Give me a break!

So don't buy the prices listed on the web page because they clearly are not what the prices really are.

I feel like it's a bate and switch.

I've not had this happen on any other cruise line before and I've been on several other lines.

This is my first time with Carnival and I already have a bad feeling about them :(

But I'm keeping my mind opened and hoping that this is the end of the bad to happen and our cruise will be a blast!

Has anyone had this happen when you tried to claim a price drop credit?

I have noticed that sometimes when the fare reduces the tax increases, also the port charges increase. This in my opinion is a false advertisement because I have also noticed that when prices go back up the taxes also lower to the original amount.

You must also watch the per day extra cost of categories chosen above the standard! price drops and per day charge increases,prices jumps back up and per day charge goes back to original lol.

If they charge X amount of Dollars for your original booking including tax that will not increase then it should make no difference whatsoever to a price match how much the new tax on advertised fare is because you are not re booking a new fare with higher taxes just price matching your original fare:confused:

In Australia with Carnival Australia we do not get daily/weekly price drops on cruise fares because over here the fist advertised price must include all taxes and costs by law so Carnival cannot falsely manipulate prices and then raise additional costs at final cost as they do in USA:)

Edited by fishtaco

Which short cruise are you on?

The taxes/fees for the ones out of Long Beach have shot up tremendously.

Also, for booking make sure you looked at the correct rate. Some of them you (or other cabins) might not be eligible for--past guest, senior etc

Which short cruise are you on?

The taxes/fees for the ones out of Long Beach have shot up tremendously.

Also, for booking make sure you looked at the correct rate. Some of them you (or other cabins) might not be eligible for--past guest, senior etc

Why? has there been a tax increase in CA:confused: Because taxes should not rise on a cruise fare unless there is an official state tax increase on that service!

When I check for a price drop, I do a mock booking up to the point where I can select a similar cabin on the same deck. This includes any additional upgrade charges (higher decks or locations) and port taxes/fees. Then I take this total price and compare it with what I have. If cheaper, I contact Carnival for a price drop.

I do know that the taxes/fees do change during the period up to the cruise. In fact, we've gotten a small OBC back on some cruises since the taxes/fees came down a little at the start of the cruise.

Steve

It is possible that the taxes/fees went up by quite a bit. These amounts are set amounts per passenger, not based on the price paid for the room. And the exact amounts that the cruiseline will have to pay is not known until you actually sail, since they do often fluctuate. It has more to do with the ports being visited as opposed to the home port. Now even though that could be a valid explanation as to why these fees went up, it is certainly arguable whether or not the higher fees should be passed onto those asking for a price adjustment. If you disagree with that practice, I certainly understand that. We had our taxes/fees increased on us before when asking for a price drop. On most of my cruises lately, we have received OBC in the amount of our overpayment of the fees. Usually a small amount.

This has also been discussed many times on the boards.

Port fees and taxes are not set in stone. What you are charged at booking is your share of an estimated total of what the port is going to charge the cruiseline. That is based on several factors. I'm guessing you can Google it and find out just what those factors are and why they change between the time you book and the time you sail.

Usually, any increase in port fees is NOT added to the passenger's rate. Often, a decrease IS passed on once you board and the the fees are set. I've gotten a few dollars credit on my S&S on my last several sailings.

BUT, if you want to put in for a price drop, they will pass on that increase. And why shouldn't they? You want to pay them less than the agreed-upon fare you were willing to pay at the time you booked, while they're having to pay more because of what the ports are charging them.

They could pass on every single fee increase but they don't.

So, don't be greedy! If you want the price drop, be prepared to pay for the fee increase.

Steve is right. Do a mock booking online to allow you to compare apples to apples. Port charges can fluctuate and Carnival cannot control them. There are often complex reasons why port charges change such as taxes charged, pilot fees, docking fees, customs fees, etc. Even the total weight of the vessel can affect port charges. As others stated, it is common to receive a small credit on your Sail and Sign account onboard for port charges when they decrease after you paid. These terms are stated in your cruise contract so it is a good idea to understand what you are agreeing to when you book a cruise.

What I have noticed is that Carnival is doing a lot of price drops now as guarantees where you can't price match to them when you are booked as Early Saver. The price of a balcony cabin on my September cruise has dropped $80 per person, but I can't get the price drop because the new price is for a guarantee cabin.

So the moral of the story is it is probably better to book last minute if you want the best price unless you have your heart set on a particular cabin or you have other specific needs. In my case, I booked early because I wanted to rent a cabana for my group and they always sell out early. Otherwise, I normally book much closer to sail date.

The "taxes" are port fees and taxes, not a salestax, it has nothing to do with the price of the cruise.

Often Carnival will lower a cruise fare to compensate for a rAise in taxes. The often go down as well. Carnival will credit your S&S card in those cases.

Steve is right. Do a mock booking online to allow you to compare apples to apples. Port charges can fluctuate and Carnival cannot control them. There are often complex reasons why port charges change such as taxes charged, pilot fees, docking fees, customs fees, etc. Even the total weight of the vessel can affect port charges. As others stated, it is common to receive a small credit on your Sail and Sign account onboard for port charges when they decrease after you paid. These terms are stated in your cruise contract so it is a good idea to understand what you are agreeing to when you book a cruise.

What I have noticed is that Carnival is doing a lot of price drops now as guarantees where you can't price match to them when you are booked as Early Saver. The price of a balcony cabin on my September cruise has dropped $80 per person, but I can't get the price drop because the new price is for a guarantee cabin.

So the moral of the story is it is probably better to book last minute if you want the best price unless you have your heart set on a particular cabin or you have other specific needs. In my case, I booked early because I wanted to rent a cabana for my group and they always sell out early. Otherwise, I normally book much closer to sail date.

Since you have experience booking closer to sailing date, I'd like your input on how close to sailing date might one see the best prices? We have one cabin booked, but we are diligently watching for price drops two and three times a day as we want to book a second cabin (any category, i.e. The lowest price). We have 24 days until sailing. Thanks.

Dawn, thanks for the nice words. I like to choose my cabin so waiting for a guarantee one is not good for me/wife. We currently have 3 bookings and I've yet to see the price fall for any of them below what I paid. Since I book an interior I don't want to be on the bottom of the ship (we usually book from deck 7 up). Got good rates so far and if the price does happen to fall, all the better. But I am happy with what I have so far.

Steve

This has also been discussed many times on the boards.

Port fees and taxes are not set in stone. What you are charged at booking is your share of an estimated total of what the port is going to charge the cruiseline. That is based on several factors. I'm guessing you can Google it and find out just what those factors are and why they change between the time you book and the time you sail.

Usually, any increase in port fees is NOT added to the passenger's rate. Often, a decrease IS passed on once you board and the the fees are set. I've gotten a few dollars credit on my S&S on my last several sailings.

BUT, if you want to put in for a price drop, they will pass on that increase. And why shouldn't they? You want to pay them less than the agreed-upon fare you were willing to pay at the time you booked, while they're having to pay more because of what the ports are charging them.

They could pass on every single fee increase but they don't.

So, don't be greedy! If you want the price drop, be prepared to pay for the fee increase.

Agreed and well explained. For the record, I've gotten a tax/port fees credit on every sailing. Lowest was $8pp, highest was $24pp. Nice suprise when you board. Take the price drops if you find them and are eligible and enjoy your cruise.

Since you have experience booking closer to sailing date, I'd like your input on how close to sailing date might one see the best prices? We have one cabin booked, but we are diligently watching for price drops two and three times a day as we want to book a second cabin (any category, i.e. The lowest price). We have 24 days until sailing. Thanks.

If it is for your July 27th Breeze cruise, it looks like there are still at least 9 cabins left in the lowest inside category. I'd keep a close eye on that. If that doesn't change much, the price may drop again. But this ship/sail date is being offered on the no single supplement sale, but for oceanview and balcony cabins only right now. If the insides don't sell, they might add the insides to that sale.

So I noticed that the price dropped on a cruise I'm going on.

I booked three inside cabins with a total of 8 people going. It's my girl scout troop.

When I called to get us a credit I was told that the price drop wasn't really the true price drop because even though it shows the cost of the same cruise and the same type of room we got there were no cabins at that cost.

So she told me the cost was only $25 a person less. Oh well, that was still ok. I should get $200 credit total right? WRONG!

While the price of the cruise dropped, the "taxes" went up????? The girl could not tell me how that could be. I felt that if the price of the cruise went down the taxes should be less too right? WRONG AGAIN!

I spoke to the manager and see then changed it to the taxes and other costs went up but she didn't know why or when they went up.

What Carnival ended up crediting us was $48.96 total for the 8 of us or $6.12 a person. What a joke!

As I was speaking to her I plugged in the cost of an Ocean view room and it came out to the same price as our inside rooms. So I said we may as well just change the cabins to ocean views.

Well guess what! When she punched the cabins in the cost shows more then what we were already paying. Give me a break!

So don't buy the prices listed on the web page because they clearly are not what the prices really are.

I feel like it's a bate and switch.

I've not had this happen on any other cruise line before and I've been on several other lines.

This is my first time with Carnival and I already have a bad feeling about them :(

But I'm keeping my mind opened and hoping that this is the end of the bad to happen and our cruise will be a blast!

Has anyone had this happen when you tried to claim a price drop credit?

Sorry you've had a bad experience .. the tax thing can definitely happen, but that is not about Carnival, it's not something they control at all.

I think your experience is an extreme that I've rarely seen on here. What you described has never happened to me! I've had 16!!! pricedrops for a total of $1,130 off my cruise (to include $320 OBC) The only time I've had the run around from Carnival, and weird things happen, was when I was looking at the wrong thing! You have to make sure you're reading the correct, VERY SPECIFIC rates that you are under and abide by their rooms, and the categories you're booked in. :)

I'm pretty sure I'm not getting any more price drops, because my room category is finally sold out. I'm OV, and there are OV's available, but not my specific 6C category. But that's their rules, and you just have to understand that. :)

Agreed and well explained. For the record, I've gotten a tax/port fees credit on every sailing. Lowest was $8pp, highest was $24pp. Nice suprise when you board. Take the price drops if you find them and are eligible and enjoy your cruise.

On most of our cruises we have gotten a little credit for tax/port fees. Has anyone ever been charged for an increase?? Ours is $48 more than when we booked.

On most of our cruises we have gotten a little credit for tax/port fees. Has anyone ever been charged for an increase?? Ours is $48 more than when we booked.

You only get charge for the increase if you make a change to your booking - i.e., price drop - if they change your booking the new taxes/port fees will be included. If you don't make any changes you keep the original port fees/taxes.

Tam

Why? has there been a tax increase in CA:confused: Because taxes should not rise on a cruise fare unless there is an official state tax increase on that service!

No idea why the taxes have gone up. They are dependent on the cruisefare. Near as I can figure out there might have been a Long Beach city tax kicking in.

If the tax rate has gone up, even if the cruisefare has gone down you are responsible for it. When OP was comparing fares we do not know if she was looking at the whole cabin fare or simply the pp fare.

A few years ago the fees/taxes were $44pp, now they have been ranging from $68 in Long Beach and $65 in San Pedro. Booked a 3day February cruise out of Long Beach at the beginning of June and the tax is now $77.70pp. We've been booking at a certain price point for years and this is the highest we've seen this tax.

Even though the ports are considered by the public as the Port of Los Angeles they are two different entities, with their own tax base and contracts.

I have noticed that Carnival is now showing the amount of taxes and fees excluded in quoted cruise fares, so there are in plain sight.

Screenshot_2014-07-02-14-10-02_zpslac8lhst.png

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

Edited by soccersharon